has anyone considered the MR16DDT motor?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
analogxb

has anyone considered the MR16DDT motor?

Post by analogxb »

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has looked at the MR16ddt motor, i believe these are found in the Nissan Juke. It's just an idea, but for the size of engine with turbo and its power of 180hp, its seems like an interesting change apart from the SR, KA, CA engines.
The only thing I have in question is the mounting, and how much fabrication would be involved.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: has anyone considered the MR16DDT motor?

Post by okayfine »

Juke is FWD (yes, they have an AWD option, but they take it off the trans, not route it out the back ala Subaru). So you're trying to fit a sideways engine in a F/R engine bay. Mounting it is going to be the least of your concerns.

As I wrote in the "What Engine Should I Get" thread, anything newer than the SR has got very low consideration as a 510 swap due in no small part to the electronic component of the swap (ECU interface, drive by wire throttle, what happens when it doesn't have the ABS computer, etc.). You're adding to that starting with an engine that doesn't appear to have a RWD trans.

Anything is possible, but if you're here asking, it's probably beyond you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
analogxb

Post by analogxb »

thanks for that, Well anythings possible I guess, i havent got to check your article yet, im fairly new to the site
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to see one in a 510. 180HP is what a QR puts out and there's only one or two in a 510 - partially due to the electronics issues. It has a RWD 5-speed from the Frontier.

If I was going out of brand, I'd look at the EcoTec. More power, better aftermarket, known wiring via other forums.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson