Qr25de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
sdterrible1

Re: Qr25de swap

Post by sdterrible1 »

Take the advice! Trust me, a running 510 is much more fun then a 510 on jack stands! I had this same kind of thing happen to me. I was tired of the L20b and wanted something more! Soooo, I got myself a sr20det, and that were the headache started! I have done plenty of motor swaps and lots of fabrication before I even had a 510 and it still took me almost 2 years and $10,000 later to get it running and I did all the work myself. I did a lot more then just the swap but still, it’s ALOT of work for just a SR, which everyone does, not to mention a motor no one has even put in a 510.

If you decide to go w/ the swap, good luck, you'll be needing it :D
Drive a Datsun
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

If you really want to do the QR swap, I say go for it. But before you take a knife to your dime, how about buying a shell to use as a mock up. Depending on where you are, rusty shells car be had for a few hundred bucks. Especially a 4 door or a wagon. Certainly on a project of this size, you can spend a few hundred dollars towards a shell. If you bought a complete rusty car, you could probably sell most of the parts from it to pay for the shell.

Where are you located?

If you are close to maryland, I can sell you my mock up engine bay. I wanted to save for a future project but if you need it, I will part with it. It is the complete engine bay and firewall and enough of the trans tunnel to mock up a trans too.

BTW, it would be good to see a QR swap done. Blazing trails can be fun but we just want to try and preserve every 510 that is still on the road. Okayfine is only telling you this info because we hear about too many new 510 owners that have big dreams and then cut it all up and then not be able to get it back on the road and another 510 bites the dust.

How about posting up some pics of your car?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I somewhat agree with everything above, well except the spelling part.... I spell tons of things wrong and I still get motor swaps done :D If I was in your situation, which I'm not. I would pic up a car off CL that someone already gave up on. Those are the best ones, cheap ton's of great parts and you don't have to feel bad stripping it down. Do the swap while enjoying your L series dime. When I had my L series dime running I promised myself I would always have one of my 510's running.... Well that didn't happen.... Get another one and keep yours running. A slow ass 510 is way cooler to drive than about anything.

This is the list of things I don't

open water jacket
huge stroke

and a few other things I will post later gotta get back to work on the dime....
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I say go for it. I've driven a nissan X-trail with the QR and it had pretty good get up and go considering 4 people + luggage and an overall heavier vehicle. Transmission kept popping out of gears, but it was an AWD version (primarily FWD with FWD engine layout).
I'm your huckleberry.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

icehouse wrote:
This is the list of things I don't

open water jacket
huge stroke

and a few other things I will post later gotta get back to work on the dime....
Also the

balance shaft
close ring lands
and fly by wire throttle, which I doubt would be hard to hook up.

I do like how how the block is die cast instead of sand cast. 20% lighter than a ka sounds nice to me though.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lots of good advice here, Mr. Drop. You should pay attention and, at the very least, do significant research before plowing ahead. Even indy510 is trying to help you out which is a significant turn of events from his as-stated brushing off of advice given to him in the past. He's learned the lessons you are quite likely going to learn if you go ahead starting your engine swap today once you bring home that magic $75 engine.

Keep in mind, Mr. Drop, you're getting, collectively, decades of advice in this thread alone. You may be the world's greatest fabricator and none of the issues we've presented are of concern to you, however you haven't answered any of the questions posed of you in this thread. At least take the time to read through all of the Featured Project threads to get an idea of what you're setting yourself up for.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Well glad everyone is having fun telling me what to do. But isn't it time to start a new Nissan motor swap. I mean sombody had to do the sr for the first time and people problably said it wouldn't work but look where at it now. I'm not disregarding what everyones said it just it's my datsun so I'm going to do it. Thanks
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Dropoff510 wrote:Well glad everyone is having fun telling me what to do.
You might have a better time elsewhere if all you want is your ego fluffed and smoke blown up your ass. A lot of the people on this forum tend to be realists - that is, people who view/know things as they truly are. However, nobody wants you to fail, so don't get that stupid notion in your head just because your panties are in a wad about nobody telling you how much of a genius you are for deciding on this swap.
I'm your huckleberry.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:Well glad everyone is having fun telling me what to do.
Great, another high-school kid who thinks he knows everything :roll: Look, Mr. Drop, you came here looking for advice, and you got it. If you want the "That'll be JDM tyte, yo" approach, take Matt's advice and find another place for it, 'cause it won't be here.
Dropoff510 wrote:But isn't it time to start a new Nissan motor swap. I mean sombody had to do the sr for the first time and people problably said it wouldn't work but look where at it now.
Maybe it is time to start a new motor swap. I don't particularly care for the QR, but that's neither here nor there. The thing is, you have presented ZERO evidence that you are to be the QR swap pioneer.
Dropoff510 wrote: I'm not disregarding what everyones said it just it's my datsun so I'm going to do it.
So you ARE disgregarding the totality of the advice in this thread. You're going to end up with a non-running Datsun, I guarantee it.
thisismatt wrote:A lot of the people on this forum tend to be realists - that is, people who view/know things as they truly are.
And mostly because they've all done them. The people giving Mr. Drop advice in this thread are people who have succeeded with engine swaps and massive 510 projects as well as those who have not succeeded with massive engine swaps. To ignore all that advice is about as ill-advised as you get.

Good luck Mr. Drop, you'll need it and a lot more. :roll:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

just to ease you guys I am keeping ever thing so just in case it dosent work out i'll be able to go back to the L18. And I know it's not going to be easy or cheap. But I really like taking on big projects that's why I got a datsun 510 to begin with.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:But I really like taking on big projects that's why I got a datsun 510 to begin with.
That's fine. What sort of "big projects" have you completed in the past? Your unwillingness to share your experience (or answer the posed questions) is seen as avoidance of the issues, so it would be interesting to come to find you're an old-hand at swapping engines, fabrication, and electrical work. If that's the case, this thread would have taken a very different route.
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Just wondering if anyone has a picture of where the starter mounts on the frontier transmission with the qr25 in it. It's from a 2005 or newer frontier. I'm pretty sure it's the xe model
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dropoff510 wrote: I mean sombody had to do the SR for the first time and people problably said it wouldn't work but look where at it now.

The SR is a WAY better engine. A dual over head cam 4 cylinder is nothing new. Like a good buddy of mine said. The 4 cylinder DOHC was first designed and raced in 1913 (by Peugeot, then copied by H. Miller & L. Gossen, becoming the Offenhauser Indy engines) if you think they are doing anything innovate to the new engines I doubt it. Yes more expensive production processes have gotten cheaper, for instance the die cast aluminum block instead of sand cast. Saving some weight. Yeah it has fancy fly by wire TPS and some other goodies like coil packs and stuff. The question is, "Is it truly a better engine?" To me the answer is no.... Would I like to put one in? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figuring stuff out is what I like best, once I've done it I want to move on.

I say go for it. Worst case scenario is the L series will end up back in your car. All I have to say is if you do go ahead and start the swap we best be getting some pics in a project thread.

P.S if you don't know how to weld turn back now.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has a picture of where the starter mounts on the frontier transmission with the qr25 in it. It's from a 2005 or newer frontier. I'm pretty sure it's the xe model
Eject! Eject! Eject!
indy510

Post by indy510 »

My dad has a 2006 Frontier XE,, with a 4cyl..... here are some nightime pics:

Sorry for the nightime pics,,, please post a list of photos you want to see. I will take some daytime pics after you tell me what you want to see.
Things I like about this motor:
REAR SUMP!!!,,,gobs of torque,,,tons of power over 3k rpm,,, sounds cool at 6k rpm,,, exaust is on the RIGHT side...

Dammit,,, I want to take apart my dads truck,,, it looks like the truck engine/trans will fit......and my firewall is ready