Anyone have pics of there headliners?

cosmo1stgen

Anyone have pics of there headliners?

Post by cosmo1stgen »

Kind of an odd post but my car came with no headliner and nothing to hold one in. Problem is I have no idea what it is
suposed to look like how far down it goes and what holds it in. If a few people could post some random pics of theres that would be great. FYI im thinking of having one done in black vinyl though im still far from having it done.

Thanks
Ryan
defdes
Supporter

Re: Anyone have pics of there headliners?

Post by defdes »

Okay, I'll start:
cage6.JPG
cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen »

Thanks. That looks great. That answers part of my question especially from the back C pillar section. Any more? close ups around the doors and windows would be awsome. What material is that stock style/reproduction fabric? Really does look good.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

You need to buy an original set of used headliner bows (formed steel rods), from someone that took the time to mark their position when removed (including the little washers on one of the rear ones!?), and get the other small trim pieces, like the 2x6 pressboard (??) strip at the top of the c-pillar, and the plastic oval c-pillar vent trim parts. Then go buy one of the pre-made headliners from goliners (on eBay), or someone like datsunrestore.com (internet store). Any experienced upholstry shop can fit it, but you are on the right track gathering pics, so they know what to do. I think many will agree that you should pay someone to install it, as they take an extreme amount of patience and understanding of how vinyl should be fitted! Good luck with the project!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I have a brand new black headliner in the box still if your interested.
tim_fc3s

Post by tim_fc3s »

here is a pic of my headliner i took the other day

FlyingO

Post by FlyingO »

Save the frustration and have a pro do it. You will be glad you did and it will be money well spent.
dscn0894jpg
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

There not that bad, this is the one me and Frank did.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen »

So I started this thread 2 years ago and im bringing it back from the dead.

Finally getting around to installing my headliner and im still missing a few things. Ive got the headliner it self from goliners. I got the headliner bows from someone on here and the oval vent pieces in the back from ebay. Ive read most of the threads here on peoples installs and a few universal ones from a google search and I still have some questions. Does anyone know what thickness and density foam is suppose to be on the A pillars? Is there any foam on the B or C pillars. And I see mention of a card or fiber board piece that is suppose to be located in the C pillar some where anyone have PICS of these pieces and where there located? Thanks.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

A-pillar foam is thin (~1/8") and not very dense. Probably doesn't do much more than smooth out some of the metal behind.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

I hope this helps you out. I recently removed the headliner out of my 72 2door.
-Foam is 4mm thick and is on all pillars [A B and C].
-foam is not very dense.
-headliner also has two sheets/pieces of half inch insulation that rests on top of it.
- Card or board piece is 9in long [longest tip to longest tip] 8in long on side before angled tips,1in wide at one end and 1.25in wide on the other end, 3mm thick {see picture}. It goes on the top of the c pillar with the c pillar liner piece folded behind it, three screws hold this to the pillar and the liner piece is then rapped down over the board to cover it up. Pictures should explain this better I hope.
My bows were mounted in the top holes of the three available.
Make sure dome light wires are run before installation.

-------- CHAD --------
Attachments
half inch insulation
half inch insulation
c pillar
c pillar
c pillar
c pillar
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

More pictures :)
Attachments
c pillar
c pillar
my 4door headliner B pillar picture
my 4door headliner B pillar picture
4door headliner C pillar picture
4door headliner C pillar picture
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen »

Wow! Thanks. I did not expect that much input. That answered pretty much all of my questions. I have a rough understanding of where that board piece goes now. Based on your dimensions and the pictures i should have no problem making some new ones. Hopefully this thread can help out some others who started with a basket case car like mine.
Thanks Again
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Proflex,

Great response to the question on this thread. You can be sure that your careful measurements will be referenced many times from this point on; as a moderator, thanks for helping the community :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

proflex wrote:I hope this helps you out.
who ever did mine on the 2dr, used some other type of material than foam, like a soft scotch brite pad :?

he didnt leave space for the oval breathers on the C pillar and nothing is under the material on the A pillar.
its dry here, so moisture isnt a concern. and based on the repairs i just did, none resulted from this omission.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.