how do you get a steering box?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
defdes
Supporter

Re: how do you get a steering box?

Post by defdes »

From my conversation with him (2 years ag0, and before I had ever taken one apart to know precisely what to ask about) he said they were all "re manufactured internals". Hopefully I can track his # down and find out.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That would sure help a lot of people on this site,

I'm sure glad/lucky my original box grenaded, as did all the Specialty cars at the same time. This prompted Andy to adapt the HL510 box, and we all bought brand new worm and sectors then. I have over twenty years of hard core racing. on race tires on mine, and it is almost as good as new.

After this discussion again though....I'm going to just go and give mine a bit of a tweak....and keep the slop out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Zaquel.
If you have a half way decent car I might part with a extraone I have.
The nicer the car the cheaper it will be
The crappier the car the more I will charge.

Why?
Over the years I notice the crappier the car. the parts I have given away never gets used and later dumped due to owner lossing interest or having No money to finnish a building up a junk car when its cheaper to buy one done.

do the adjustment as matt said.
But Jeff Hino and Frank Rizzo have done a few 510 and said replacing everything in the streering makes a big difference. I myself have replaced nothing on my 510s
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I just talked to these guys, kind of a generic company, but in answer to the question about worm gears said that they have acess to lots of internals and would have no trouble sourcing and replacing, he also said that 80% of the time, this is not the issue. It's wear in other parts that changes the relationship between the gear and sector. New bearings , surfacing parts, seals etc for $250 + -, and if internal mechanical parts need replacing up to $350 + -.
http://www.discountsteering.com/
zaquel

Post by zaquel »

sweet thanks alot . ill give them a ring if adjusting it doesnt fix it :) thanks alot for the help ....
banzai510(hainz)

250$
Damn I would only charge you 40$ for my extra steering box( if a crappy car) ans IM in Covington WA which is local for you
zaquel

Post by zaquel »

aye if you wanna meet up in the next few weeks ill drive over to covington and meet up with ya . you can decide the price then . i would really like to pick up an extra one in general just in case you know .
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

just grabbing a spare box may not work, it took the second used box i tried to be better then the original.
changing the oil helped a lot also!

a brace is seperate to the real issue, but i like mine.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
zaquel

Post by zaquel »

but it sounds like i could use the second one and send it in to the place defdes said discountsteering and have them redo all they can . should be a decent choice if mine totally fails i would think . if they redo all that stuff inside seems like that would be an upgrade from one thats been used for 36 years hehe ...
Church

Post by Church »

This is what carsteering.com told me:

"While we do not have this box in stock, we can remanufacture your steering box. We cannot quote an exact cost, because it depends on what is wrong with the part. But I would estimate in the $200-300 range. We offer a free breakdown, where we will have you send us your part, and we will open it up and tell you what is wrong with it and all associated costs. Then you can either choose to go forward, or we can ship it back to you. Your decision."

Their contact info:
1-800-399-7845
sales@CarSteering.com
zaquel

Post by zaquel »

well its good to hear we have some choices now . good info here someone should really sticky this lol .
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Church wrote:This is what carsteering.com told me:

"While we do not have this box in stock, we can remanufacture your steering box. We cannot quote an exact cost, because it depends on what is wrong with the part. But I would estimate in the $200-300 range. We offer a free breakdown, where we will have you send us your part, and we will open it up and tell you what is wrong with it and all associated costs. Then you can either choose to go forward, or we can ship it back to you. Your decision."

Their contact info:
1-800-399-7845
sales@CarSteering.com
Seems like the kind of thing where a group buy on remanufactured parts could be a good idea.
I'm your huckleberry.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

zaquel wrote:well its good to hear we have some choices now . good info here someone should really sticky this lol .
It is ;)
I'm your huckleberry.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

thisismatt wrote:
Church wrote:This is what carsteering.com told me:

Their contact info:
1-800-399-7845
sales@CarSteering.com
Seems like the kind of thing where a group buy on remanufactured parts could be a good idea.
I talked with these guys too, discountsteering told me basically the same thing, but did it in house rather than sending it out to another company.
banzai510(hainz)

Zaquel,
Jeff Hino w/Frank Rizzo up in Everett wash close to you I believe
They just threw away about 4-6 steering boxes recently.
You got to ask and jump on these fast ,otherwise they will go to the dump.