Timing belt problem...

dat51072

Timing belt problem...

Post by dat51072 »

i'm having trouble getting the timing belt back on the cam sprocket. it came off fine but when i tried to put it back on it was too tight.
e_racer1999

Re: Timing belt problem...

Post by e_racer1999 »

you let the chain slip too much and now the tensioner has popped out. Get ready to take off the whole front cover, including the crank pulley. I don't envy you; you're going to have to life the engine out some to get an impact wrench on that pulley bolt. And pick up a 3 jaw puller from your local auto parts store; they should have them for rent.
Jason King
1972 240Z
1971 510 4dr
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

dat51072 wrote:i'm having trouble getting the timing belt back on the cam sprocket. it came off fine but when i tried to put it back on it was too tight.
Remove rad and put a 1/2" drive 27mm socket on that crank bolt. Leave car in gear with E brake on. Let the ratchet or Johnson bar hang down and kick sideways with your foot. I've pulled about a dozen pulleys in my time some from engines on the ground. I put a piece of pipe over the handle and gave it a sudden smack with a 4lb hammer. Never had to use a puller yet. Just tap the around the back side of the pulley with a hammer, I said tap. Take your time... Comes right off.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

When I put my timing belt back on my 300zx, I could get it around the crank pulley and one of the cam sprockets, but not the other one. I ended up taking a flat head screw driver and putting it under the timing belt, and right on the edge of the cam sprocket. Then just slide a part on at a time, and keep moving the screwdriver head around the sprocket a little at a time and get it on there. You might end up having to use two screw drivers.
dat51072

Post by dat51072 »

i just pulled the engine out and got that all fixed. all that's left is putting it back in. thanks so much!