Collored head lights

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
Tyler

Collored head lights

Post by Tyler »

Well iam runing jdm yellow bulbs in my h4 conversion, and was wondering how illeagl is this .What are the headlight rules in bc
e_racer1999

Re: Collored head lights

Post by e_racer1999 »

if it's the same as down here, any colour besides white (or slightly blue via silverstars, etc) is illegal. are you using those as your primaries or secondaries? i never understood why people replace their primaries with yellow; seems counterintuitive
Jason King
1972 240Z
1971 510 4dr
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Older Mercedes used them but not for primary light. Yellow reflects back less in fog or haze conditions. Personally hi beams can't be too bright.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

iam running them as my primarys just for the fact i find the light up a hell of alot better on those late night mountain runs
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tyler wrote:iam running them as my primarys just for the fact i find the light up a hell of alot better on those late night mountain runs
Yellow, believe it or not, will not be as luminous as white.

No matter how much the jdm dori-dori factor when your on your touge runs to the corner market.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Get some lights from old 60s cars. These were before halogen and were only tungsten filaments. Compared to to-days white lights, they were yellow.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

I used to run "blue ion" (Which were a blueish yellow color) bulbs in the yellow car and got pulled over for running them.
I thought there was nothing illegal with them so I called my friend who is a cop near my house and he basically said while it is not really illegal I would probably get pulled over a lot for having them and unless I REEEEALY wanted to run them it was probably not worth the hassle.
GrandmaSideways

Post by GrandmaSideways »

I did an H4 e-code conversion on my Volvo 240.
Had pretty good results with the cheap halogen hellas in the yellow box.
I kept blowing over wattage bulbs.
bigjim5551212

Post by bigjim5551212 »

The law plainly says, that you can only have white light from headlights. You can have yellow fog lights. You can have fog lights on by themselves with tail lights on. You can only have driving lights on with the high beams on.
"He forgot more than what i know about a Datsun"
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I'm with Jim on this one - it's in the B.C. Provincial Motor Vehicle Act Regulations...

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/M ... _58_00.htm

Headlamps

4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.

(2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.

(I removed the rest of the regs that apply to motorcycles)

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I was doing some further reading in the Motor Vehicle Act, and found this interesting passage

Sequential lamps

4.26 A sequential direction lamp may only be used by emergency vehicles and public and private utility highway maintenance vehicles.

...that means sequential tail lights, like an old Cougar, Shelby, ...or SSS coupe! are not allowed to use their factory sequential tail lamp apparatus. WTF?!?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

where's the part that says you can drive around with your
driving lights on all the time!?1!?!?1!@*@(&@$#*(&@!#*(^)(&*@414919)_)^#W(^L
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's kind of funny, since my 87 BMW 325is came with factory driving lights installed - and they are on all the time on low beam only. They cut out on hi beam! And that's factory.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Byron, those lights on your BMW, by definition of the MVA, are "fog lamps", or maybe they are "auxiliary driving lamps", or maybe they meet neither definition! ??W??T??F?? To quote the internet, OMGWTFBBQ!!!
Daytime running lamps

4.08 A motor vehicle may be equipped with daytime running lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 30 cm and not more than 2.11 m, that comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).

Auxiliary driving lamps

4.09 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 auxiliary driving lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 40 cm and not more than 1.06 m, that are capable of displaying only white light.

(2) An auxiliary driving lamp must be directed so that the high intensity portion of the beam is, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, at least 12 cm below the height of the lamp and, at a distance of 25 m from the lamp, not higher than 1.06 m from the road surface.

(3) An auxiliary driving lamp must operate so that it is illuminated only when the upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp is illuminated.

Fog lamps

• (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be
    • (a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
    (3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

Off-road lamps

4.25 Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, my driving lights do fall under the fog lamps regulations - sect. 4.11
So I guess I don't have driving lights, but I have fog lights...
Thanks Rob,
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.