Brake and Fuel line size?

defdes
Supporter

Re: Brake and Fuel line size?

Post by defdes »

johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Yowza! That's alot better than $300! Ordered! Thanks for the link Def. :mrgreen:
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
wilderb

Post by wilderb »

I bent my stainless tubing mine with a harbor freight tubing bender that was only $5 and it also worked very well, no wasted material at all :mrgreen: I'm cheap, I am planning to use chrome plated brass fittings that are used for plumbing for fittings, I have taken a small section of the stainless tubing and have found out that the nut and ferrule actually compress the tubing as it should, I have pressurized it with air and it works
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Just curious....why do you need to use all those flares and fittings? the factory cars don't use them....standard high pressure fuel line clamps with the right hose should be fine....Nissan is still using this on all the new cars....they are running higher HP.....what's the big deal?
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Just a lil more racer overkill bling for the street, that's all. :wink: Plus, I always loved the look of well done satinless plumbing.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

got ya.....I just hid all mine!! it was way cheaper too!
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

johnbureezu wrote:Just a lil more racer overkill bling for the street, that's all.
ALL :?: :!: :?: dont forget all the HP it adds too :P

nothing worse that a stock(=cheap) fitting failing at the wrong time :evil:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Its also to upgrade the system for EFI duty vs Carbs. Yeah, thats the technical reason and I'm sticking to it. :P
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I did the 37 deg flare because I just think it's the right way for anything high pressure that you want to last. But Hang, you're right, the factory uses clamps and they work fine - if you can form that nice little bump in the tubing! I wanted to go stainless as well, but I couldn't find that tool. I also wanted to pass through bulkheads and put the plumbing inside the car, and the flare is the only way to go there. So, I guess that's my reason for doing my plumbing this way. And I think it worked out pretty good - I'd do it again.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Heres a nice example of some crazy plumbing and surgetank. Super overkill but it looks like art.
think I'm gonna practice with some scrap.
Rauh Welt Hachi
Rauh Welt Hachi
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I couldn't justify the cost and hassle of the stainless tools and tubing, so I ordered up some regular steel line. This is not only my first attempt at doing my own lines, but my first full car build. I did order AN fittings and braided lines to attach the hard lines to the fuel rail, fuel pump etc. After I get these lines setup, I need to order the right braided brakes lines for my brake setup. Also, when I flare the brake lines, that will be a 45* flare correct? Or do I just do the 37* line the AN fittings? And it's just a single flare correct, not a double flare or anything fancy?
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

All fitting you use should be 37 degree flare, or AN (same thing). The 45 degree flare is an odd ball, and should be avoided at all costs, as you'll not likely find replacement parts very easily. The 37 degree JIC or AN fittings are a standard, and can be found at any hydralics shop, and of course you local racer supply (Aeroquip, Earls, Russel ect).

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Now I have a small issue. I ordered a basic set for bending and flaring 37* lines and Summit sent me an assortment of inverted flare fittings. I need metric and they sent SAE. I'm sure most people who order stuff from Summit need SAE, but where can I find metric stuff? I found one site that offers quite a few inverted fittings, but they're all SAE and 45*. To match up to my brake calipers and such, don't I need 45* metric fittings? If not, do I have to go with the more expensive tube sleeve and nut AN fittings? (which I have for my fuel line) Also, aren't AN fittings SAE anyway? I'm really confused now. :?
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Have you found a source for metric fittings?
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Sorry I haven't done anything with this thread, life gets in the way.

I found this site some time ago that has a great assortment of fittings. However, I still don't know what size we're supposed to use for this stuff. What is the standard tube nut size for brake lines? I think it's 12mm, but what is the tube nut size? I'm still unclear on this and haven't even started bending lines in the past 1.5years I've had the tube and parts. I'd like to get some work done. Any input?

http://www.southco-ind.com/commerce/ind ... Path=26_39
1972 Datsun 510