The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
iceD

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by iceD »

That is very nice wooden tool chest you have there.

ice D :)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Maybe you can sell your woodworking stuff but use the money to buy one of those cool 5 in one combo machines for your woodworking:
5 in 1 combo.png
5 in 1 combo.png (15.69 KiB) Viewed 4725 times

http://www.felderusa.com/products_detai ... 5c18fdb512
You still need a band-saw but your overall footprint is small.
If you were really into it, which you obviously were, don't you think you will want to do some stuff sometime?
Plus, as a prototype machinist, you would really love the way these things are put together.
OK, I will take my nose out of your business now!!

Hey, I saw some crazy wooden speaker cabinets at my friends shop, he builds furniture and cabinets and I guess some speaker designer uses him to build the prototypes for his designs. Bracing inside etc.
Last edited by two_68_510s on 17 May 2011 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

iceD wrote:That is very nice wooden tool chest you have there.

ice D :)
Ya that's my baby, a Gersnter top and roller bottom in walnut.
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CARTgallery1.htm
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

two_68_510s wrote:Maybe you can sell your woodworking stuff but use the money to buy one of those cool 5 in one combo machines for your woodworking:
5 in 1 combo.png

http://www.felderusa.com/products_detai ... c18fdb512
You still need a band-saw but your overall footprint is small.
If you were really into it, which you obviously were, don't you think you will want to do some stuff sometime?
Plus, as a prototype machinist, you would really love the way these things are put together.
OK, I will take my nose out of your business now!!

Hey, I saw some crazy wooden speaker cabinets at my friends shop, he builds furniture and cabinets and I guess some speaker designer uses him to build the prototypes for his designs. Bracing inside etc.
Yes, those euro machines are the best, in fact all of my mills and the lathe are euro made. I don't know about the future, but my heart just isn't into woodworking any more- will see. I have so many projects going on right now that I am just trying to get some of them done, not getting any younger.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

You know, I've seen your user name around the realm, and finally checked into your profile. At first I thought "with a name like that, this guy's got a lot to live up to", but DAMN dude :shock: you certainly deserve the title. With that kind of talent we should start calling you Gandalf. Looking forward to watching this thread.

Side note: Would you consider making parts for sale? Say like a set of aluminum rear semi trailing arms? :D
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

RonM wrote:You know, I've seen your user name around the realm, and finally checked into your profile. At first I thought "with a name like that, this guy's got a lot to live up to", but DAMN dude :shock: you certainly deserve the title. With that kind of talent we should start calling you Gandalf. Looking forward to watching this thread.

Side note: Would you consider making parts for sale? Say like a set of aluminum rear semi trailing arms? :D
Thanks for the compliment. On the part thing, what do have in mind? I have a idea for rear semi trailing arms that use a bolt on hub/bearing assy., which will give 5 lug with cv's.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

Ive been wanting to hear your idea for a little while :roll: (Still waiting by the phone :lol:)
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I don't know if I would be able to take advantage of a bolt on assembly, because I've already invested in CV axles suited to stock hubs. Heres my situation; I'm building an SR swap and I anticipate getting a bit more than 400HP. I'm struggling to get as much rubber to the ground as I can while keeping stock fenders. With 7" rims I have more than an inch of space at the coil overs, but I don't think it's advisable to notch that much out of the stock arm. I was thinking of a trailing arm that is set back on the outer edge to accommodate a wider wheel. Also I was thinking it would be cool to incorporate a few degrees of camber angle at the hub to facilitate lowering. I'm not sure if this is even possible without screwing up the geometry, but it would a very trick way around using brackets, or slotting. Does this sound realistic??
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

RonM wrote:I don't know if I would be able to take advantage of a bolt on assembly, because I've already invested in CV axles suited to stock hubs. Heres my situation; I'm building an SR swap and I anticipate getting a bit more than 400HP. I'm struggling to get as much rubber to the ground as I can while keeping stock fenders. With 7" rims I have more than an inch of space at the coil overs, but I don't think it's advisable to notch that much out of the stock arm. I was thinking of a trailing arm that is set back on the outer edge to accommodate a wider wheel. Also I was thinking it would be cool to incorporate a few degrees of camber angle at the hub to facilitate lowering. I'm not sure if this is even possible without screwing up the geometry, but it would a very trick way around using brackets, or slotting. Does this sound realistic??
I wouldn't set the camber in the hub itself. You still have to deal with the toe anyway. If you change the ride height for any reason, you are screwed with the camber incorporated at the hub. I would recommend all adjustments for camber and toe remain at the crossmember. The 510's aren't super square anyway, (compared to newer cars), the settings for one side aren't the same for the other side. If you guys are game, we can start another thread on brain storming some custom rear arms. Could be fun stuff!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Sorry for playing thread pirate again :mrgreen: I posted a new thread titled Help Design Custom Rear Semi Trailing Arms in the suspension forum. We'll see what comes of it. http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18585

RonM.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Today I had the honor of meeting one of the most meticulous 510 guys in the world, Monte picked me up at the hotel and we had a really nice lunch, then he gave me the grand tour of his shop.....one word...WOW. First he is a super nice Datsun lover and has the coolest shop set-up I have ever seen (the internet pics don't do it justice)....that rear Miata based wagon suspension is soooo nice, the detail that's going into that is unbelievable. Anyone that wants to learn how to put pure quality into a project, whether it's building a iron gate or restoring a 510, needs to take a few lessons from Monte. I know that I was taking notes the entire visit!! Thanks again Monte for lunch and it was very nice meeting you, hope to come back and visit again sometime! Rich
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

you have the garage of my dreams
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

goichi1 wrote:Today I had the honor of meeting one of the most meticulous 510 guys in the world, Monte picked me up at the hotel and we had a really nice lunch, then he gave me the grand tour of his shop.....one word...WOW. First he is a super nice Datsun lover and has the coolest shop set-up I have ever seen (the internet pics don't do it justice)....that rear Miata based wagon suspension is soooo nice, the detail that's going into that is unbelievable. Anyone that wants to learn how to put pure quality into a project, whether it's building a iron gate or restoring a 510, needs to take a few lessons from Monte. I know that I was taking notes the entire visit!! Thanks again Monte for lunch and it was very nice meeting you, hope to come back and visit again sometime! Rich

Rich,
Thanks for the kind words. Just wish that the shop was a little more tightly for your visit. Hopefully after the Land Cruiser project is done, I will get hot and heavy on the SSE again. I have an idea, that I will document in great detail a lot of procedures that I haven't seen in detail on the internet, such as the roof skin replacement and post these procedures for the love of the 510 and Datsun's in general. If you need any input on any of your projects I am here for you. Come back any time!

Monte
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Thanks Monte, I wish I were closer, I would love to help with the roof skin, that sounds like fun!
Biggspeed
Supporter

Post by Biggspeed »

Thats IRS is simply awesome Monty, You're an artist!