Traveling for work...again!

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
jason
Supporter

Re: Traveling for work...again!

Post by jason »

Say Byron, you're the dude that wears shorts and the winter and you say it's freekin' cold :shock: ? I think I'll just take your word for it, that's like standing in our freezer at work! So how long you gone for this time?
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I should be home in a week if all goes as planned. A couple days here in Sarnia, then I catch some sort of puddle jumper north to Thunder Bay, there are only two rotors to install there, so thats a couple be a days work if all goes well. It really depends on the crew I'm given to work with, how much has been prepared before I get there, what the crane access inside the ships is like - there are a few variables.
Man, I flew in a beachcraft 1900D from T.O. to Sarnia - that's a pretty small passenger plane! There is one seat on either side of the isle, and 9 rows; I wouldn't want to be much bigger that I am, there just wouldn't be any room! At least it was a turbo prop. One thing about smaller planes like that - they sure feel cool taking off because of their realative weight. Acceleration is instant. I can't imagine what these young guys feel when they get launched off an aircraft carrier in a slingshot!
But yeah, it's cold here, but I'm bracing for Thunder Bay - I know it'll be worse!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Sounds like it's interesting Byron, but, it's just too bleedin' cold for the likes of me! See you when you get back then.
Jason
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

are we gonna get a story?

byrons 'chronicles of sarnia' :?:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

hang_510 wrote:are we gonna get a story?

byrons 'chronicles of sarnia' :?:
Thats about a 9.8 on the Groan scale... a ten is "Q. why did the bird fall out of the tree? A. cuz it was dead."
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

If I could post a photo, I would of the ship, CSL NIagra, frozen into the river here with the CSl Assiniboine tied up to it with a plank joining the two (this is the one I'm working on) - walk the plank, matie!. That's freekin hilarious to me, as most of the time I do a job like this, the ship has just arrived at port - hotter then hell, cooling water is at 80 deg C (around 190 deg F), and the air temp in the engine room is usually 40 deg C (110+ F) - And I have an unbelievable deadline over my head to get the job finished, whatever it takes!
Now I've been sent to some frozen corner of the country where the ship itself is frozen into the ice - I have all the time in the world to complete the job as the ice won't break up for another month - I have two layers of clothing on under my coveralls and I'm still cold, I can see my breath in the engine room as I work (and the heat is apparently on, remember I'm below the water line in a steel ship on a frozen river). Yep, this could be a chronical after all - nice one Brian :) - Life in the frozen north.
Burrrrr.... can't wait to be home. Worst thing is I know it gets worse at my next stop.
Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

On the road again.
Had a 8 hour lay over in Amsterdam - but could hardly stay awake for the one hour canal tour I took!But I had to do something, laying around the airport didnàt seem too exciting when the city is only a 20 minute train ride away.
Back on the plane, currently in Rome.
This place is nuts - don-t even bother driving here! No road signs, no direction, maps are pretty much usless in the city, have yet to find out what the country side is like, that comes tomorrow. Taxi ride from the airport made Mexico city seem tame.
On the topic of car, people here don't park by bail - they simply push parked cars out of the way to make space, absolute disrespect. Infront of my downtown hotel this morning, I watch some guy litterally push a beautiful old Fiat 600 about a metre with his newer car to make space. No bumpers ligned up, he just pushed the car aut of the way, breaking a tail light and must have done body damage! Personally, I'd kill! But having walked all over the city for the day, cars do park ontop of one anothers bumpers! I guess this is normal for Italy. Nuts.. crazy....I get my own turn to drive tomorrow for a few days, I'm not so sure I look fwd to it!
Byron
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sounds great, two of my favorite cities. But SO expensive now due to the US dollar. Enjoy Rome, have a glass of Brunello on me!
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Nice Byron, hope things are fun, take lots of pictures!
Jason
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

8)
Byron510 wrote:I guess this is normal for Italy. Nuts.. crazy....
when in rome...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Brian, you got that spot on!

I'll share that drink John, thanks :D

No worries Jason, filled up my memory card already! This is probably a once in a life thing, I'm out of Roma today, and am about to pick up a rental car in an hour or so - this aught to be an experience!

I'll be in Madrid in a few days, have to compare!

Gotta go - no time....

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So I survived behind the wheel of an Opel Corsa - 3 day on the road, a few trips down the Autostrat (Italy´s Autobon) - what a ride! Man do they driver fast - disiplined, but fast! Lanes are mealy a sugestion, and when things back up it get hairy in a hurry! But for themost part I enjoyed it, I´ll guess by the white knuckels on my wife, however, she´ll have a different opinion :-)
John, I never found that drink, and I was looking.
I´m in Spain for a few days before leaving for ther Netherlands, driving here does seem a bit more sain to me. I´m taking lots of photos. There are lots of cool little cars here. I don´t understand why these importers are bringing in RHD cars when thewre are LHD versions available here in anyhting you can think of, or didn´t even knew existed.
Nissans of every size, Kai cars to full size hiway trucks!

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

On the road again...
I'll be in Inuvik by this afternoon - for those who don't know (and I wouldn't be at all ashamed if you didn't), Inuvik is in the Mackenzie Delta, 2 degrees north of the arctic circle.....yep I did say artic circle! That's way frickin' up there, man. Expecting a high of -26C, dropping down to a tad bit nippy -36 in the evening. I'm really wondering why the hell anyone would actually live there, but I'm going to find out first hand in a few hours. This'll make the Montréal trip I made last month look like a trip to the tropics.
Keep you posted. I won't bother asking if the are any 510 guys around; I'm pretty sure the only active specialty classic motorsport groups up there will be the Artic Cat Club!!!! (Snowmobiles for you non snow laden types!).
I'll report back on this one...just working in a power station. Since water has a hard time flowing at this temperature, hydro electricity is pretty much out of the question, and diesel doesn’t really like to burn at this temperature, propane won’t even ignite…packed my heaviest jacked and gloves, wonder if they’ll even help!
Byron
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

Wow. Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm totally jealous :mrgreen:
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Geez ........... Rob's struts will never finished Mr. Globe Trotter! Call me when you get back into town. Club a baby seal for me!!!!

Jamez
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100