'72 Datsun 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
finn
Supporter

Re: '72 Datsun 510

Post by finn »

what are your plans? cowl style? ram air cone? chopping a hole and laying fiberglass? nice project btw
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

finn wrote:what are your plans? cowl style? ram air cone? chopping a hole and laying fiberglass? nice project btw

Not quite sure what my plans are yet. I dont think I want to do a cowl, definitely dont want a ram air cone or anything like that. I would like to make it as subtle as possible...if there is such a thing with this setup. So laying fiberglass sounds like the best route right now. Just dont know how it would look. I need to make some renderings.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hoodpins2.jpg
hoodpins2.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

bingo okayfine, if i could pull something like that off it would be nice. its just such a short hood, dont want it to look too goofy.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

how high does it have to go? I would think that noticeable sloping curves on a boxy 510 would look kinda odd... I tried to find a google image of one for comparison but couldn't. probably for good reason. but hey, supercharged VG isn't common either....
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

finn wrote:how high does it have to go? I would think that noticeable sloping curves on a boxy 510 would look kinda odd... I tried to find a google image of one for comparison but couldn't. probably for good reason. but hey, supercharged VG isn't common either....
exactly. the snout and pulley of the blower stick out the highest because the hood does slope down quite a bit toward the front of the vehicle. Ive only seen one other car with the 33ER and once i saw it with the hood on it surprised me how much it stuck up. It looked like a beautiful build, exact opposite of mine. I had read somewhere he was giving up on it and sold it. Ill see if i can find a pic.

edit: off ratsun

McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

Yeah... I really don't see a way you can modify the hood and still preserve the "510ness". The 510 hood pretty much only posses one unique styling feature (the slightly recessed center section) which so happens to be the exact same area that the blower will be barging through. What's worse is that the 510 has very rectilinear styling cues, which means most attempts to "smooth" or "blend things in" usually only draws even more attention to itself. Sort of like trying to stealthily install a golf ball onto a Rubik's cube.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

cowl!! its the only way to still have that classic cool, brother. that chopped hood looks like sh%& to me. honestly, I was half-ass looking for a beat up hood I can turn into a cowl induction hood for my build. help keep the heat down.. it can't be a run of the mill cowl though. has to sloop forward slight.

just my two cents....
'69 2dr KA24DET
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

McWicked wrote:Yeah... I really don't see a way you can modify the hood and still preserve the "510ness". The 510 hood pretty much only posses one unique styling feature (the slightly recessed center section) which so happens to be the exact same area that the blower will be barging through. What's worse is that the 510 has very rectilinear styling cues, which means most attempts to "smooth" or "blend things in" usually only draws even more attention to itself. Sort of like trying to stealthily install a golf ball onto a Rubik's cube.

-McWicked
yeah its going to be tough

finn wrote:cowl!! its the only way to still have that classic cool, brother. that chopped hood looks like sh%& to me. honestly, I was half-ass looking for a beat up hood I can turn into a cowl induction hood for my build. help keep the heat down.. it can't be a run of the mill cowl though. has to sloop forward slight.

just my two cents....
If I do a cowl it has to be really subtle. I actually dont mind the cut in the hood though. It might have to come about for a temporary fix. Like i said im going to have to do some renderings and see what all these options will look like.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Do you need clearance as wide as the Ratsun car, apparently the top/rear portion of the intake for the S/C? If not, you should be able to successfully make something work by inverting the sunken center portion of the hood. Also, if you were going with fender flares, it would make it easier to do a bubble on the hood for clearance, since you'd be introducing some rounded styling features with the flares.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

okayfine wrote:Do you need clearance as wide as the Ratsun car, apparently the top/rear portion of the intake for the S/C? If not, you should be able to successfully make something work by inverting the sunken center portion of the hood. Also, if you were going with fender flares, it would make it easier to do a bubble on the hood for clearance, since you'd be introducing some rounded styling features with the flares.
I can only speculate that that 510 owner didnt want a huge hole in his hood, and that he had to make those cuts for clearance for the intake. Also if you notice the hood still needs to come down further to latch so the S/C will stick up just a little bit more. So yeah if i can get away without cutting a hole for the intake, great. If not, i will probably just have to put a little bubble there or if I do a cowl style, bring the cowl wider to fit that area evenly with the other side. If I do a cowl though it will have to be as low profile as possible. Its such a short hood I'am not totally sold on that look. Mustangs and vettes get away with it I think because of the length of the hoods. It also helps that they are 2 door sports cars and not a box with 4 doors that should be going to the grocery store haha.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

How about an early Z car hood hump on a 510 hood. Was also done on the Red lowered wagon from Japan.

Might clear the SC if moved back a little bit.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

510wizard wrote:How about an early Z car hood hump on a 510 hood. Was also done on the Red lowered wagon from Japan.

Might clear the SC if moved back a little bit.
That Z hood hump looks darn good. I'd look into cutting the center section out of the 510's hood with plenty of meat all around. Then build a raised area and reapply the center section keeping that recessed area. But you'd better be good at fabrication because it'll take some skill to work it all back together.

Lou
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Going the Z route gives you access to the existing Z fiberglass hood supply. You wouldn't have to make the bump, if you wanted to replicate it (and if that Z bump gave you the clearance you needed).
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

okayfine wrote:(and if that Z bump gave you the clearance you needed).
looks too short and too narrow, but i'm only speculating. too bad you couldn't just shim the crossmember where it connects to the frame...
'69 2dr KA24DET