LZ23ET

View and post your 510 project(s)
heirfaus

LZ23ET

Post by heirfaus »

Alright, this is the official new thread for my new motor. As most of you know the L20bE project went very well and the need for more power has pushed me further. My estimated finish date is June next year, hopefully(my projects tend to run long :oops: )

As of thus far, I have a U67 head with Z intake and exhaust valves, exhaust port, light intake port, stellite seats, stainless vales.

I picked up my Z22 short block today for 55 bones in all it's mucky goodness, gotta love craigslist. Using the block and crank and scrapping the rest.

Need to get my Colt Cam and Venolia piston, pins, and rings

As of now, plans are to use the JDM L18 manifold and all the stuff on my car right now(MS, EDIS)

If anyone has any tips on the LZ22 I would love to have them all in one spot I can reference. Where are the cracks in the Z blocks. Is it on the surface or in between the cylinders?

Things like PSI and using a inter cooler or not are the only main things not decided upon.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
kiznook

RE: LZ23ET

Post by kiznook »

Did you get that block out of a truck in Vantucky? If so you totally suck for beating me to it!

Come up for the tuesday meets, one of the guys works for a turbo shop (extreme turbo systems) and he can probably hook you up when it's time for piping/intercooler.
hang_510
Supporter

Re: LZ23ET

Post by hang_510 »

heirfaus wrote:I have a U67 head with Z intake and exhaust valves, exhaust port, light intake port, stellite seats, stainless vales.
If anyone has any tips on the LZ22 I would love to have them all in one spot I can reference.
good plan. 8)
im going the same direction

i didnt find any cracks in the Z block, but have heard that its not as prone to cracking as the L was between 2&3.

*subscribed
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I heard the napz 2400 was the worst for cracking
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

cant confirm that ^ but my top looked fine.
i thought it was more prone to cracks around the mains?

would using studs helps reduce the chance of cracks???
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
heirfaus

Re: RE: LZ23ET

Post by heirfaus »

kiznook wrote:Did you get that block out of a truck in Vantucky? If so you totally suck for beating me to it!
Hey Kiznook,

I don't know where Vantucky is, but I bought mine in Orchards. The guy pulled it from his truck to put a Z24 in.

AND

Maybe I was wrong. I thought it was the Z blocks in general, but maybe I was wrong. Well I guess that mag will tell in the end.

Does anyone know about o-ringing a Z22 block? My main question is what do I use for a head gasket? Can I just use the Z24 head gasket since I am using Z24 pistons? Does anyone know if the head gasket's are the same except bore size?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
heirfaus

RE: Re: RE: LZ23ET

Post by heirfaus »

I am having a veery difficult time trying to solve this headgasket situation. Nothing is available through Comp. I can't find anyone to sell a head gasket that can be O-ringed. I have found a copper gasket. Will that work?

My other problem is if I O-ring the block a recess has to be made in the head right? Well the heads is for a engine with 85mm bore and the block will be 89.

-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Usually an "O" ringed block has a small groove cut in the block, and a wirw of the correct diamiter is placed into this groove before the headgasket is put down. The wire will protrude just above the surface, but not very much.
I'm going to get Andy at Specialty Engineering to do maine, as he's done many in the past. He did Keiths first motor and it went something like 14 years or more without any issue!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

nismo HG is 88.5mm #11044-A77651
OR
use a Z24 from nissan (no # :( ) 89mm

i have the Z24 HG under a U67, took some modding but its not leaking :mrgreen:
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Can the Nismo HG be open to 89? Is that even a possibility?

-defdes
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i would think not, esp since theyre in the $75-$100ea range.
i got mine cheaper from the HQ in torrance before they moved/closed :D

the Z24 nissan gasket i used looks very reliable.
its what was on there before and only went bad due to sitting (and rotting) for 10 years. the metal portions were still perfect.

:?: w/it o-ringed, would the 0.25mm overlap create problems?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Click here to see a pdf sheet of Ed Iskendarian's Amazing and Widely Used Miracle Time Saver - The Groove-O-Matic O-Ring Tool for Time-Saving and Total Control of Top-Bore O-Ring Groovy Goodness!!!

You can see what the o-ring grooving tool looks like to get some idea of how block o-ring are usually cut. If your engine is going to have an 89mm bore, you might not be able to o-ring the block due to a lack of sufficient margin between the cylinders - remember, the o-ring needs to sit about a few mm out from the bore to grab the fire ring. Take the block to an engine machine shop who can do block o-ringing, along with a sample gasket so they can se the placement of the gasket's fire ring with respect to the bores - find out if they think it can be done when the engine is bored to 89mm.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

groove-O-matic :!:

why isnt this for sale at the 'as seen on TV' stores :lol:
510six

Post by 510six »

I have a friend who has a set of forged pistons for a SOHC KA motor using a 2.2 Napz block and crank and 152mm Napz 2.0 rods.He`s clearing most of the crap out of His shop so you might be able to pick them up for a steal.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

I built a motor using a Z22 block and one using a Z24 block. for both I used the Nissan Z22 (or Z24) gasket and the L series gasket.
Cut both gaskets off at timing cover and use the Z2X gasket for the block and the L series for the timing cover. Be sure to add a little grey silicone where they meet.
Also hold the L series gasket up to the Z series gasket and use a punch to carefully cut out any holes that are missing from the Z series gasket.
If I remember right there is also an oil hole that you might want to chamfer a little on one side because they don't line up exactly.
I recently heard that there are also a couple of cooling passeges that you should drill out on the block But I didn't do this on either motor.