View and post your 510 project(s)
lewoolf2

Re: CMac,s 1971 Datsun 510

Post by lewoolf2 »

What's the latest info on your build?
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Latest on the build. Well little work allows for little play so I cant say a whole lot. The bottom end is back together Cp 86.5 9:1 pistons factory rods and crank. I had everything inspected and magnafluluxed just to be sure all was well. Picked up some solid lifters and had Mazworks Dual guide the rocker arms now were just waiting on the Tomei 260 cams that are backordered. I dropped off the transmission for an inspection to ensure all was well inside there too. I dont want to have to drop the drive train again for any issues so this should ensure a road trip in the car is possible at some point.

Id have to say that i have been enjoying the other builds and seeing the progression of peoples cars come along. It is true a project car is always a project even when one says its done there is always that I mine as well thought and then it starts the ball rolling all over again.
lewoolf2

Post by lewoolf2 »

Thanks for the update! Sounding good!
speedmonkey

Re:

Post by speedmonkey »

Cmac wrote:Thanks for the compliments. As for the headlight buckets. I took a box full of parts into the local plating shop and had them re plated gold zinc. When you do this it is a flat rate of about $125 or so so make sure you have a fair amount of parts to get done to make it worth while.

Awesome build!
Just curious what you used as replacement plastics when you reassembled for the headlight adjustment screws?
Thanks!
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Thanks !

You can purchase the replacement square plugs at napa or most body work supply store. Make sure you get the right size I think there are 4 sizes the hardest part is finding the right size springs mcmaster carr
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Couple things showed up in the mail this week now to make it fit

http://tiltonracing.com/product/600-ser ... -assembly/

Got a spare pedal set and steering column to see just how much space is there without having to crawl around on my knees in and out of the car.

Last edited by Cmac on 11 Oct 2014 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What's the ratio of the pedal box?

New bits are always fun....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Now back to the Motor

Solid lifters by tomei

Dual guide cut rocker arms from Mazworx

Now the shimming begins I came to the conclusion last night that the feeler gages that I have were inadequate for the job last night so I am waiting for the shop to open up today in order to purchase a new set. http://www.tomeiusa.com/manuals/pdf/solid_p_sr.pdf
Cams in Photo are Tomei 260 pro cams to suit the solid lifters. http://www.tomeiusa.com/manuals/pdf/M14 ... notice.pdf
And yes the cam caps will be cleaned before the valve cover goes back on.

Here is another great resource for the process. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to ... -head.html
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Byron the new pedal box is said to be adjustable 5.0:1 - 6.2:1 . I edited the above post with the link to the pedals.

http://tiltonracing.com/product/600-ser ... -assembly/
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Looks good! When's the ETA for the next fire up? :)
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Jordan I can't post a wish date for start up but I hope soon. Id love to drive this thing again by the end of the year not to mention it looks so much better in the natural light then sitting under fluorescent bulbs.

Couple items to wrap up yet couple of parts to receive before I can play.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

If you're using dual rocker guides how will you adjust the differences in valve tip height? As I understand it, for hydraulic the guides only come in one size. With solid lifters are there specialty guides? I've always heard that with solid lifters you gota check valve clearances often and sometimes make changes, is this true?

Just Curious...
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Tomei makes guides in several sizes they say they have more options size wise than what is listed. The std is 3mm from Nissan. As for adjusting and checking the shims from what I have found its not that bad depending on how much and how you drive. I guess if this were a daily driver the noise and maintenance would be and issue depending on your tolerance levels.

Other options.

Upgrade the lifters and slot the guides VVL oil pump installed - has been done by Andreas Miko for years.

VVL head conversion - bullet proof but will not fit under the hood. Cost of dry sump, new crossmember and ECU puts this out of my reach.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Parts supplier - I understand that there are very few parts guys that are worth a shit anymore most have the idea that if it is not black and white and right in front of you they will not help you.

Nissan Motorsports USA - Website is incomplete so I call the sales counter to find out the torque specks of the super copper mix pressure plate to flywheel bolts. I explain that the website is incomplete and would like to get the information. His reply was as follows - We sell to wholesale customers and or racers so there is no reason for me to know the specs and or where to find the information in our system. I asked if there was anyone in the office that may be able to answer my question. Call back in the morning someone may be able to help you.

This seems to be the standard in all industries and its getting worse as time goes on. Take responsibility for the industry that you represent if you don't know the answer find out and call the customer back.

Ill get off my soap box now thank you for listening.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I shouldn't say anything..but I will..Nissan Motorsports is a screwed up bunch now, nothing like it used to be. I could fill a page of what I had been through.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer