CMac,s 1971 Datsun 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
JDM Dime

Re: CMac,s 1971 Datsun 510

Post by JDM Dime »

Wheels look nice. But I'm sure they would look even better with tires & on the ground.
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

woahhh nice :mrgreen: . I got my hopes up and though they were MAGS. Still bad nonetheless. Whats the specs?? What size tire are you rockin? hurry and finish so we can drive:D:D
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

The Mags have been discontinued and cost 1600.00 each there is no way I could ever do that. Supposedly Volk could never keep them in stock and there was a waiting list for them. Rims are 7.5 in the front and 8.5 in the rear. As for the tires Yokohama s drive 215-35-17 and 225-35-17 they are supposed to be good for spirited driving according to the tire rack should be mounted tomorrow if they show up today.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

35's!!!! Wow :shock: , mind the pot holes.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Well here is a long overdue update on the car. It was put on hold for quite some time duo to parts and finances. It is sad to say that the bottom mount full race manifold will not work with the steering box. Future plans for a rack in slow progress. I ended up building a top mount log manifold out of 316 stainless elbows and tees from Mc Master car 304 stainless t28 flange from ATP turbo and head flange from SPD. The car then went to Phil Lee at Speed of Sound for wiring and everything works. We started the car up last week first try after a systems check and it runs. it finally runs.

Things to do next are the head liner, emergency brake and a oil catch can. Oh and some updated photos. There are some older build photos located here.

http://datsunboys.com/index.php?option= ... 6&Itemid=3

Keep in mind the intake pipe needs to be at least 12" long or the Maf will not read properly. The above photo does not work.
Last edited by Cmac on 26 Jan 2011 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Congrats on the start up :!: Must feel good after all this time.
I know the feeling very well, although it didn't last long because DGR sold me a hand picked piece of shit.

Are you going to do the headliner yourself? I recommend it because it wasn't that hard and it saves quite a bit of money. Just stay away from over gluing :D

If you don't mind keep me informed how the emergency brake turns out since we have the same set up. Mario told me to contact Phil because he was the only person that has done it. Kind of strange to me he didn't know how to install it even though he designed the kit (Oh the Datsun world :? ).

Keep up the good work
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

old510ballsz I was reading your posts and getting very nervous about the fait of my motor as well. I have to say that I have only started it no driving as of yet not counting the driveway. I have heard quite a few people having issues with motors lately as well.

As for the headliner I am undecided as of now what material I want to use. I have watched the post of others doing there own and they all look great. I have flashbacks of years ago doing a VW headliner with the excess glue etc. so we will see what happens in the next 2 weeks.

Mario is actually running the Brembo parking brake as opposed to the Willwood that we have. Phil lee and at a couple of others have run different set ups in fact Phil just re did his in the last month or so. I am at the point of measuring cables and finding ends. I will probably take mine dimensions to Lear auto electric to have the cables crimped on monday if all goes well. Check this out thanks to Baz.

http://www.datsport.com/Datsun_510_1600 ... tting.html

http://www.datsport.com/Floor_mount_handbrake.html
lewoolf2

Post by lewoolf2 »

Corey, congratulations on your 3rd place finish. Not a bad showing for an unfinished work of art. Good to finally meet you in person. Your car is coming along rather nicely. Hope mine looks 1/2 as well as yours and Dom's.
Lee
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Thank you lee like wise it was great to finally meet you as well. Im sure we will be sitting in the same spot next year hopefully I will have slept more and might hear my name if it is called again. I truly did not even expect to get called to the podium so when you said lets go look at the 240z with the wild interior I said lets go. We got back to the tent and Kevin said you got 3rd.

We were putting the rear suspension back together Saturday and loaded the car on the trailer at 4pm. Thanks to Seth he mailed me his coil overs so I could get the car down since mine are on stand by somewhere at JRZ.

The car has been on hold for a better part of the year due to work issues and other responsibilities that do not allow time for toys. In fact it finally goes in to get the head liner done next week and hopefully the other backordered bits appear on the door step as well just in time to put it away for winter I am sure. I have had allot of help on this build from Mario Lozano, Phil Lee and James Johnson to name a few. Oh and if I don't include my wife and 2 kids that will put the car on hold again. Its been 4 years now and I am sure it is not complete by any means it will always change in some way or another. I have to laugh as I write this because when I meet Steve Newman years ago I said the car will be done in eight months he laughed.
angzt

Post by angzt »

Some new pictures would be nice :-)

I love that color, it's a nice vibrant orange. What's the name?
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Here are some photos from the Z car blog as well as some other great photos of the show.

http://www.zcarblog.com/2010/09/13/unca ... 91210.html

I wish I could take photos like this but I cant and these are the most resent photos of the car. The color is an 2005 lamborghini color. My daughter favorite color is orange so when the time came to paint the car she spoke up first literally.

http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uplo ... G_0351.jpg

http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uplo ... G_0350.jpg

http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uplo ... G_0347.jpg

http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uplo ... G_0348.jpg
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Note to self and all others - Check the oil in your transmission - Anyone have a spare 6 speed kicking about.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Well I have the car back on the ground the with the new transmission installed Nismo copper mix clutch and oil installed this time around I do not have a clue how I spaced that one. I took the car to get the head liner installed at ACME tops in tunes here in Sacramento they now have a pattern made if you want one made. They did a great job and considering the last one I did was in a 1962 Bug when I was 18 with glue all over the place I did not want to attempt it again. Now its time to drive the car and fight the little gremlins that will raise there ugly little heads and cause me grief. finish the s14 rear seat install and molding to fit the voids etc.

Last edited by Cmac on 26 Jan 2011 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
wagon jon

Post by wagon jon »

Hope you are still driving your car from time to time!
The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Na not right now I have been messing around with it when time permits me too.
From this
To this
No more MAF
My Ebay find HKS oil cap