icehouse

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by icehouse »

Wait, so you have AC in this guy now?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

icehouse wrote: 30 Sep 2022 09:23 Wait, so you have AC in this guy now?
Not quite. Due to the location of my throttle body, I need to fabricate a new mount for the compressor. I started playing with Fusion360, but I haven't gotten far enough. I'll play with it more this winter. The heater works great.

It also has cruise control, altough I must have installed something wrong the last time I assembled everything, because it's not currently working. But on long trips, it's a godsend. Easy system. Rostra makes them now.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

That's one classy rig! I dream of those kinda creature comforts!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

It's obviously been a while. With the site being down and life changes going on, not much has changed. I do have a few updates.

First, the front brakes are now Z32 style 4 piston units. They are much larger than I think I need, but with how hard the pedal is, I'm sure it will be better than the old 2 piston setup. Also, pad selection will be much improved.

I also switched to a smaller turbo. The other unit was much too big for what I was doing. It's a great turbo and I'll hold on to it for now, but this unit from Forced Performance is much more inline with what I do and my power goals.

Speaking of power goals, I have "detuned" the engine so I'm likely making less than 300whp. I need to get it on the dyno to find out, but the 345whp I had before was way too much for the 205 width tires on the car.

The other change has been to swap in a proper RWD pan from a Mighty Max. I attempted to add a Tomei baffle setup, but you need to cut so much away from it, I'm not sure it's doing much. I also welded in an AN port for the turbo oil return since the RWD pad never had provisions.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Very Nice!

My car makes about 250 RWHP, which in my car, with 205/50 x 15 Yokohama 048's and soon to have A-052's.

It was about the perfect balance of NOT doing anything too stupid when applying power exiting corners, more so in spirited canyon carving, which for me was/is critical to be able to USE all that power. If it breaks traction, that can be dangerous and if you have to back out of the throttle....what's the point of having the car be traction limited?

Solo use with low profile race slicks let me JUST be able to rotate the car with the throttle and a bit of over steer.

Adjustable boost is a good thing also, as you can wind up or down the power as needed for what you may be doing. I would turn the power DOWN for solo use, as again, lighting up the tires did not win races, sure pleased the crowd though..ha..ha.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

What turbo did you decide to get (number or desc)? 68HTA?
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

As soon as I figure out how to get a speed signal to the ECU, I can actually do boost by gear. It's not a true boost by gear, but very close using the stock ECU and ECMLink programming. I'd love to lower the boost in 1st and 2nd. With 300+whp, I could still spin the tires going straight on the highway if I didn't roll into 3rd gear. I'll get it figured out.

The new turbo is the 68HTA v3. FP changed the name to 6851S to help distinguish it. They list it as a 51 lb/min turbo. It's a journal bearing turbo, but it should still spool well. I really haven't explored the turbo much since I've been fighting worrisome oil pressure readings. I'm thinking it's just a bad sensor or gauge, but when you see ZERO oil pressure at idle, you tend to not drive the car. That being said, if I truly had zero pressure, the lifters would tick and the engine would have eaten itself by now. But I'm still quite cautious until I install a new gauge and sensor.
1972 Datsun 510
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Do you have an external cooler, with the '90 style oil filter housing (maybe in this thread already, but not searching right now)? I had issues getting my oil level in the system correct when I added one and would see moments of oil starvation as the pump pulled oil out of the cooler lines. I'm guessing you are saying you see zero continuously at idle? I can see your concern.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

iceman510 wrote: 03 Apr 2024 13:23 Do you have an external cooler, with the '90 style oil filter housing (maybe in this thread already, but not searching right now)? I had issues getting my oil level in the system correct when I added one and would see moments of oil starvation as the pump pulled oil out of the cooler lines. I'm guessing you are saying you see zero continuously at idle? I can see your concern.
I do have an external cooler. This being a 7-bolt motor, I'm running an EVO3 oil filter housing. I did an oil pressure mod that should reduce high oil pressure, but it shouldn't affect lower oil volume pressure at all.

I am only seeing low pressure at idle when warm. When cruising, everything looks great. Since I'm not hearing any lifter tick, I assume I have good oil pressure in the head. Because of this, it leads me to believe the sensor isn't reading correctly.

I was very concerned with what I was seeing and assumed that the oil squirters for the pistons were bad. I replaced those along with all of the bearings, but no change. Stupidly, I did not check oil clearances while I was in there.

I'll replace the sensor with an updated version along with an updated gauge soon, but I haven't gotten to it. I've barely driven the car due to weather and the concern of the oil pressure readings. I do miss it and I want to take it out as often as I can. I love my car and I love being on the road and the track.
1972 Datsun 510
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

jeffball610 wrote: 04 Apr 2024 12:17 I do have an external cooler. This being a 7-bolt motor, I'm running an EVO3 oil filter housing. I did an oil pressure mod that should reduce high oil pressure, but it shouldn't affect lower oil volume pressure at all.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the dumb questions. If I had read your signature line more carefully I would have had the info.

The other mod you mention, is that the porting of the oil filter housing? I know about that on 6 bolt, but not sure that same technique applies to the Evo housing.

I have to get my 4G63T car running again this year. Too many other projects and commitments. I know what you mean about wanting to drive your car.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Not much of an update to the build, but an update on the car itself. I made it out to a local autocross yesterday. I was hesitant to go since I'm not confident in the car or the engine. My hestitations were put to ease after the first run. Plenty of power to slide and make fun sounds. Not enough skill to run great times, but I had a great time :-)

I'm quickly finding the limits of my own skill and definitely have found the limitations of my current setup. There just isn't enough tire to put the power down. It's still controllable and lots of fun, but not nearly as fast as it should be. I have some long term plans to widen the car and redesign the rear suspension. In the meantime, I need to learn to drive better. I need to improve the brake feel. Most of all, I just need to drive the car more. It's so enjoyable and rewarding despite its shortcomings. Now that the weather is nicer, I plan to put in lots of miles and lots of smiles :-)

1972 Datsun 510