Girlfriends 510 project

View and post your 510 project(s)
p510

Girlfriends 510 project

Post by p510 »

Her are some pics of another 510 I picked up for $2000. aus
The Girlfriend wanted one to have a go at some track work.
Its an x race car thats been in the shed for 5 yrs.
IT has a L18 with twin 45mm Webbers, 5 Speed
Koni adjustables up front
Spax adjustables in the rear
full Alloy cage Big front brakes,brake bios valve
and I couldn't beleive it matched the Dadge

turbo510sss

Post by turbo510sss »

man I wish my girlfriend would want a 510 I tild her I would build her one after mine was all done and she told me that she didn't want one. man I wish I had a g.f that was into cars like I was or at least wanted a Datsun 510 like me. Maybe I will buy her one later and give it to her as a gift and just tell her its my new car after mine is done and then give it to her as a gift maybe she will want it them who knows. show pics of the car when its all done if you guys deside to do some modifications to it or what not. Nice 510 agian as well. check out my web site link below to see my project come together.
p510

Post by p510 »

She asked the other week when does she get an SR and I told
her that this one keeps a L series in it.
She recon I was worried about her being quicker than me.
There will be no mods done to it just a respray and maybe a steel
cage.
Last edited by p510 on 12 Jan 2004 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
turbo510sss

Post by turbo510sss »

p510 wrote:She asked the other week when does she get an SR and I told
her that this one keeps a L series in it.
She recon I was worried about being quicker than me.

my girlfrined said if I built one it wouldhave to appear stock and have a mild built motor and soudn desent. I'm guessing she wants a stock interior and exterior with maybe some auto meter guages and then hace a car with an exhaust system. Wish my g/f was like your wanting a hella fast motor my g/f is scared to speed now bec she just got a speeding ticket last month. But hey keep up the good work.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

feel free to send that alloy cage this way ;)
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

hey p510, that car looks sooo rad. What kind of paint is that, any idea? I'm painting my car when it warms up here,bout five months or so, I really don't want a shiny finish, but flat paint is hard to maintain. It may sound dumb but I want my new paint job to look old. I hate new shiny stuff, I love that colour on yours though.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
p510

Post by p510 »

Its like that from siting around for so long.
A friend gave me a pic, don't know where he found it
of that car on the track years ago it was all glossy
and looked great.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

if you use a primer gun and spray high gloss paint it will come out flat :P
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Just get satin paint, not flat. There is VW bug in town that is painted with a satin black, one green fender that got dented up. He plans to keep it that way, off-sets everything.

I think I decided on my color.. BLACK, screw the dents, it's a 510, 30 some odd years old.. I could care less if it doesn't look mint.

I was thinkin' on SATIN black, as well.. just a thought.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

How does satin paint look, I don't beleive I have ever really seen it, is it smooth or orange peely? Fiveoneoh, primer gun? Can you elaborate, what does the end result look like? On a sidenote, I remember a long time ago my Dad taught junior high school and someone spray painted an upside down cross on the school wall and underneath it they sprayed" satin rules 666", they must have wanted an old looking car too.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Dyno -- satin looks like a super smooth primer. It is popular with the street rod crowd.

Satin or flat, either one will accentuate a non-straight car. As will the colour black in any type of paint. Me? Keep it glossy (off) white and wavy.... :)
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

Yeah, yer right, the last time I painted my car it was a dissapointment, I had it mixed to the original code 554,which is classified as an ivory, off white with a blueish green tinge, but it came out almost totally white. I am gonna try harder next time.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Even though it goes against my moral principals, my 510 will be getting shot Acura Type-R (championship) white, which is quite warm. The engine bay's been done, and hopefully this summer the rest will happen. Matched with the burgundy interior it should retain a classic look -- something some people seem to be forgetting about around here....
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

Yer right, I'm starting to fall for p510's girfriend's car,dark green with tan inside, but as it stands I.m still sticking with my car's stock colour and my interior is is fantastic shape, so I'll stay black in there, albeit with modern chairs up front.Burgundy would look nice.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

dynobones wrote:hey p510, that car looks sooo rad. What kind of paint is that, any idea? I'm painting my car when it warms up here,bout five months or so, I really don't want a shiny finish, but flat paint is hard to maintain. It may sound dumb but I want my new paint job to look old. I hate new shiny stuff, I love that colour on yours though.
Looks like British Racing Green. Check with parts stores that do paint. There paint books should have that colour under MG, or any British Leyland auto's. It was first done with great popularity on Mini's and Lotus in the late 60's. But is know from as far back as the 50's.