My project

View and post your 510 project(s)
jackedaw11

Post by jackedaw11 »

Why did you decide to toss the turbo-l? and do you still have it :)
HEATHEN

Post by HEATHEN »

Yes I still have the motor.
Thinking I will get more power out of the SR.
Some how i messed up my HP image program,
so now i cannot edit to 256kb. for posting pics.
HEATHEN

Progress...

Post by HEATHEN »

Got some pics. Still going.
Attachments
Rear disc.
Rear disc.
R200 Wolf creek axles were installed later.
R200 Wolf creek axles were installed later.
Engine compartment all welded up and smooth.Mckinney crossmember. Techno Toy front coil overs and camber adj.
Engine compartment all welded up and smooth.Mckinney crossmember. Techno Toy front coil overs and camber adj.
Yellou

Post by Yellou »

Rayja kit there nice!! I used to run one way back when they were the top. I ran a Weber 40mm sidedraft 10 psi boost sometimes 12-13, water injection L-18 with L-16 rods 7:8:1 compression on stock pistons and the engine lasted 70k miles. The thing simply hauled ass, used to beat on a TransAm 455 a friend owned. The single SU will work but your limited to boost otherwise you may suck the fuel bowl dry under boost and launch a rod. The weber downdrafts work pretty well but the sidedraft kicks.
HEATHEN

Re: My project

Post by HEATHEN »

Cage is done.Car is at body shop.It has been awhile since I posted but the car is still in progress.
cage ties into front struts also
cage ties into front struts also
DSCN0588.JPG (68.73 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
DSCN0591.JPG
DSCN0591.JPG (60.26 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Car looks good and is coming along. One thing i will say here though is i am not sure if the cage's door bars are going to be legit. I remember reading all the nasa and scca manuals when i built my cage, and talked to a few others who have, and they said one thing to avoid is any bends like you have in the bars. This automatically is going to cause a weekness there. I am not sure entirely though. Anyone elses thoughts?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Denver

Post by Denver »

Hey, the car's coming along great. Good job.

I'm with zootowndime on the cage though. I'm no expert, so I could be and probably am wrong, but wouldn't it be better like this?

It allows the same amount of clearance, but it's triangulated and rigid. It just makes more sense to me.

Faster is gooder.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Yeah that would work, but that is really just a bunch of extra material that is not really needed. The clearance you gain by bending the bars down like that is really not worth the added safety that is removed from the rigidness of the door bars. If you look at any cage in any sort of racing series you will never see door bars they way you had them done heathen.

You could do something like byron did and put in removable door bars if it is going to be a daily driven car. My door bars go up to the main hoop and connect exactly where the lateral bar connects and i can still get in and out of my car fine. Albeit i am not that big at 5'7", if your a little bigger another alternative would be to get a flip up steering wheel hub. Those are pretty sweat anyhow.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

Did you have that cage built but Chappelles, in El Cajon??
Drive a Datsun
HEATHEN

Post by HEATHEN »

Yes Dave did build it. He did a great job. I understand the bend in the door bar weakens it but it fits the contour of the seat perfect. Although I would like to drive the car on a track more then likely it will just be the occasional driver for the street.
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

Nice, Dave does excellent work! I was his apprentice for 3 years working at his shop. He told me that your car was in there, but I never got the chance to come take a look at it.
Drive a Datsun
HEATHEN

Post by HEATHEN »

Still working on 510 paint allmost complete. Sent wheels out for powder coating. Got along way to go!
paint.JPG
paint.JPG (45.1 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
Attachments
Black is Beautiful!
Black is Beautiful!
DSCN0617.JPG
DSCN0617.JPG (54.17 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
watts510

Post by watts510 »

That looks good. What kind of paint are they shooting on it?
Procrastinate now why wait for later ? :)
HEATHEN

Post by HEATHEN »

Paint is from Dupont. Used an anti chip guard on the interior and then it was painted with Emeron.
HEATHEN

Post by HEATHEN »

Wow I can't believe how long it has been since I posted last. I have read so many times don't take a break from the project. Well I did and it has been two years. The last 20% is in front of me. I got to get this car finished.