Tim's 69

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Tim's 69

Post by goichi1 »

Man, that is nice, I was also wondering what that would cost to do, I really wanted to do that, but when I started in on the SR20 swap all that went out the window, and I threw away most of the original brackets and things which was really stupid, never know when you are gonna start another project and could use those...I am sure that is gonna be a really nice resto....very nice!!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Those shiny new/old parts are impressive. Cant wait to see it all come together.
The bar has just been raised :shock: :mrgreen:
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Thanks. The car is taking long enough, it better look nice :wink:

The funny thing is I am going to end up replacing a lot of the hardware anyway because I want to use stainless in a lot of places. I wanted to be sure that I had clean bolts for the things I don't replace though.
I am also replacing all the lock nuts with new ones just to be safe.

I found a local place (Production Plating) that does the plating. It was $500 for everything.
It is all Cad plated, some flat and some shiny just to be different.

I actually installed something last night! I put the steering column and steering box in the car and filled the steering box with new Redline lube. I ordered all new steering components and ball joints so I can get the FT suspension in soon. I got New ground control camber plates too so I can put the plates under the strut tower and not cut it up.
I do still need to get the TC rods, control arms and Rod end tie rods though.

Then I can get the motor in so I can build an oil pan and modify the header to fit.

I also got all the pieces (I hope) that I need to plumb the brakes so I can get going on that too.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Installed the rear suspension, diff and brakes This week as well as rebuilding and installing the the wiper linkage with a rebuilt wiper motor. I also went through the front struts and brakes and installed them with the new camber plates. Then I pulled the heater apart cleaned and painted everything with one coat of POR 15 and one coat of POR 15 chassis coat and got the heater core rebuilt. Oh, and installed the NOS door handles so I don't ahve to reach into the door and work the latch anymore.
Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

more
Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

WOW! looks really nice! can't wait to see more!! very nice!!
clean71

Post by clean71 »

more pics Tim,it looks great just from the pics you have taken
1971 PL510 4DOOR AUTO
1969 PL510 WAGON 4SPD
1969 PL510 2DR 4SPD
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

So damn nice. I can't wait for more progress pictures.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Looks killer! Love the detail................ 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
supra510

Post by supra510 »

Nice and shiny, it's like the opposite of my car. Nice work.
Anthony
'71 wagon, 2jz-gte engine, other stuff
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I like your steering box brace, that is the stuff that really starts to make the handling "feel" difference.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Thanks for the nice comments :D

The steering brace is from Datsport, their two piece brace.
All the steering parts will be new and I am using rod ends instead of tie rod ends so that should help the steering feel too. The steering should be done by now but UPS is way behind with the snow we had (and it is snowing again right now)
No shortage of things to work on though and everything seems to take forever to do. Today I cleaned up and installed the drain hoses that run from the cowl to the fender. They actually cleaned up better that I thought they would and with a little solvent and heat they softened up so I could get then to seal well.
I also tried to coat my rocker panels with anti-corrosion treatment but the special gun that you use didn't work very well.
Nothing would come out of the gun then it shot about a cup of the solution out of the vent hole (and all over me) then promptly shot the rest of the quart into 1/2 of one rocker. Pretty disappointing how much the whole setup cost...
Then I spent some time working on the heater and dash. I finished trinning the dash structure around the roll bar. then worked on getting the heater to fit around the roll bar. I ended up modifying the air intake box that runs from the cowl to the heater box.
I also managed to get the pedals installed with the master cylinders and then made the lines that run to the reservoirs.
Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Yellowcar wrote:
IMG_4571 (640x562).jpg
Nice! That's an interesting dummy pedal, haha
I'm your huckleberry.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Where do you plan to mount your reservoirs? I might be moving mine soon because I seem to keep getting air into the clutch master.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

BTW the braided lines in the brake picture are the feeds from the brake reservoirs to the master they are not the actual brake plumbing. The brakes will be plumbed with Stainless hard lines
S15DET wrote:Where do you plan to mount your reservoirs? I might be moving mine soon because I seem to keep getting air into the clutch master.
I don't have a picture of the reservoirs right now but Byron has a good pic of his setup in the bronze project thread, mine are in a similar location

phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=530&st=0&sk= ... &start=150