re-rolling bumpers?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
dynobones

re-rolling bumpers?

Post by dynobones »

I've read on forums that bumpers can be re-rolled, what does this mean, any way, I have a solid rear bumper, but the chrome is shot and it is dented and a little wonky along the edges, Anyone know anything about bumper restoration?Also I've heard of fibreglass bumpers, anyone? Funniest thing that made me laugh was one time I had no bumper's on my car and a guy genuinely advised me about how cool a solid oak plank would look for a rear bumper, he he, he even offered to make one for me. I could just see it with lil'510 painted on it, or something.
Cazzzidy

Post by Cazzzidy »

Don't know much about the art of "re rolling" bumpers.

But, I can tell you that they can be stripped and re-chromed relativly easy, and, if that doesnt work, the fiberglass bumpers are available from Classic Datsun.

http://classicdatsun.com/new/510_glass2.html

I bought there flares and front bumper valnece and spoiler, and I am very impressed with the quality and thickness of glass. I was told, however, that the bumpers cannot be finished in a chrome look.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Cazzzidy - Did you buy the BRE style front fenders? How were the two body lines and the fit next to the door?
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

I wonder what the protection level would be on a fiberglass type? Probobly nothing.

And for $200 I'll just buy a used one and have it re-chromed, along with a few other things.....
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE