The Bronze EFI bits.....

View and post your 510 project(s)
slodat

RE: Hmmm...

Post by slodat »

Hey Byron, those sure are dairy fittings. I work in a dairy and all of our piping is connected with those tri-clover clamps. We have a viton gasket for those connections that may work better at higher temps.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The gasket was suggested by the salesman, but I'd hate to blow one half way to Portland, and some 150 miles from home on the I-5!! That's why I machined up the aluminum gasket.
It kind of brings up a good question, what would the temp of the exhaust pipe be at the rear X member, in a worst case scenario? I'd assume that this said scenario would be on a dyno, as you are running it hard and you have little air flow.
You know Wurker, when we do the dyno re-run this spring, I should try to remember to bring the quick contact thermocouple that I use at work for just this question. We could answer it. Do you know the max service temp of the viton gasket??
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Well.. we use them in a ~300F pasteurizer. I'll double check at work this week that the viton is the higher temp gasket.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I think max temp, for short peroids, for viton is around 800F. I would think that would be marginal for a gasket, even at the far end of the pipe. When you consider a n/a motor is going to be in the 1,200 to 1,300 f range, the exhaust temp at high flow is still going to be very high back there.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
mydime

Post by mydime »

Cant quite tell but that looks to be your piece...yes?..... http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php ?cPath=50&PHPSESSID=4b499e3ea088664031f85730daa0768a well now, it might be fun to use this with it? PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-5952.html
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yep, that's the same part.
Ross at Modern Motorsports is a good guy, and he did ask to sell them as well.
Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, yesterday I got the fuel rail pretty much done. I haven't yet decided where the fuel press reg will mount; it may be to this rail, maybe on the firewall. I'll have to get it first then see. I'm running out of time for these things, the Bronze is now in the shop and coming apart!
The fuel rail is from an unknown source, but I think it may be an old Moroso piece.
The return line is stainless (I wanted to use aluminum, but it comes in a nicely bent up coil!), the fittings are Russell, hose clamps are Pico.
Byron
Attachments
DSCN6377 (Small).JPG
DSCN6378 (Small).JPG
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hey Byron -- looking good. I finally got my car back from its exhaust shop visit, more details to come. You got a great deal on those fittings. I've used them so many times in the film world for restraints without ever knowing what they were, or where to get them. I am totally forwarding on that company's name to my old boss, so no one ever has to make billet aluminum copies ever again (see here, this set which I built for Fantastic 4 -- even the same closure!)

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Had a little time this morning to assemble the fuel rail. I realize that it’s not pushed together on the hose barbs, I’m afraid that this will be a once only install, and that those hoses will never again be removed from those barbs!
I then drop all the bits out to the garage for a trial fit. I’m still trying to get the header to fit right – a bend here, a tweak there…
Anyways, it gave me a short chance to see how the EFI bits actually fit in the car. I think I can map out the fuel feed and return lines now.
Byron
Attachments
I'll even have room for the filters; I was worried that they wouldn’t fit, this was the first time I had the chance to try them.
I'll even have room for the filters; I was worried that they wouldn’t fit, this was the first time I had the chance to try them.
...another view.
...another view.
From here I can map out my fuel line locations. I think I'll use a 90 swivel end on the fuel rail, and bend the return line to match. Should make it a clean install and clear the wiper motor without any issues.
From here I can map out my fuel line locations. I think I'll use a 90 swivel end on the fuel rail, and bend the return line to match. Should make it a clean install and clear the wiper motor without any issues.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Mmm....that's sexy.

Nice work Byron.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

So your going to use webers sort of like individual throttles? Looks kind of crazy but should work great. Looking good though overall byron. What are you going to do for air flow metering. Are you using a map sensor or tps or how are you going to make that work.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Zootowndime, the SDS that I'm using uses both a TPS and a MAP sensor. The MAP sensor won't be stable at idle, so the computer will read the TPS at low RPM/throttle positions, however the MAP will kick in at a predetermined point that has yet to be set when the signal is stronger and more stable. An unstable idle/low speed signal to the MAP is an inherent problem with IR set=ups.
Byron
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

I see, just kind of started reading through this thread i didn't see that had been mentioned yet. So did you have to sort of rig something up to hook up to the webers for the tps? Also are those UNI filters.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

zootowndime,
page 5 & 6 of this thread explaines the bit on the TPS mounting, and yep - those are Uni filters.
Byron
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Woops sorry, I thought i had saw a post about that just couldn't remember where it went guess i should have looked. That is looking great byron. Every project you do there are no cutting corners jerry rigging things. So if the carbs are temporary are you looking at making a plenum with just a throtle body or still going itbs. Or better yet I remeber you said you eventually wanted to turbo the bronze, itbs with the turbo?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com