heim joint lower control arm project.

View and post your 510 project(s)
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

If the modification siginificantly improved ride and handling I'D DO IT!
KamodoDragon

Post by KamodoDragon »

I went for a good long drive in the two door yesterday with the control arms, and am very happy. They proved themselves to be very strong with many high speed speed bump passes. I also had a chance to evaluate them performance wise on my new favorite touge road. They worked great and make a noticeable difference in mid corner bump smoothness. I cant wait to get the tc rods done so I can test those as well.
'72 vg30et wagon project
'73 touge master 2 door
past flings......
'02 wrx 350hp, coilovers, stop techs ect
'88 300zx shiro special stock
'91 galant vr4 basic modds
'72 z18et 2 door
'70 sss L18 wagon
dfn_doe

Post by dfn_doe »

KamodoDragon wrote:I went for a good long drive in the two door yesterday with the control arms, and am very happy. They proved themselves to be very strong with many high speed speed bump passes. I also had a chance to evaluate them performance wise on my new favorite touge road. They worked great and make a noticeable difference in mid corner bump smoothness. I cant wait to get the tc rods done so I can test those as well.
Any updates on this?
KamodoDragon

Post by KamodoDragon »

I have the parts to make one more set of control arms I just have been short on time. As for the tc rods I am still in need of a welder to make the chassis mounting points. I have had lots of normal car work to do lately (funny how it all comes at once) and so it has been hard to get time to really make progress with these. Sorry if I engendered any false hopes of quickly mass producing these, I really had figured on having them done by now but I just haven't had the time. There also didnt seem to be a very strong interest in them, maybe I was wrong here, so this has also contributed to the delay.
'72 vg30et wagon project
'73 touge master 2 door
past flings......
'72 z18et 2 door
'70 sss L18 wagon
jackedaw11

Post by jackedaw11 »

hey if you're still in need of a welder let me know, I can sneak into my dads shop and use his... I'm in shoreline
KamodoDragon

Post by KamodoDragon »

Got the tc rods done finally. I dont have the two door running right now so I havent road tested them yet. I made sure to keep the pivot as close to stock as possible. I went through the trouble to make templates of both suspension setups and test the different paths the ball joint traveled. The shortened tc rod arrangement only changes the control arm by less than 1mm with 5 inches of compression. I will see how this affects the handling when I get it going again. I will also be making a different body mounting point as soon as I get the material for it that will be much better.
Attachments
day at the beach 001.jpg
day at the beach 003.jpg
day at the beach 005.jpg
'72 vg30et wagon project
'73 touge master 2 door
past flings......
'72 z18et 2 door
'70 sss L18 wagon
BlackWidow

Re: heim joint lower control arm project.

Post by BlackWidow »

I know this thread is very old... I have been researching the adj L/C arms and adj T/C rods for a few days now and one thing i have noticed is why it seems that no one is purchasing metric rod ends. With that in mind what is the size of the stud for the L/C arm pivot point? I have seen metric rod ends from Aurora there are others but I trust Aurora.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
Byron510

Re: heim joint lower control arm project.

Post by Byron510 »

BlackWidow wrote:I know this thread is very old... I have been researching the adj L/C arms and adj T/C rods for a few days now and one thing i have noticed is why it seems that no one is purchasing metric rod ends. With that in mind what is the size of the stud for the L/C arm pivot point? I have seen metric rod ends from Aurora there are others but I trust Aurora.

Years ago I listed a metric spherical bush which presses into our LCA's with no bushing required on the OD, and IIRC a 19mm bore. It worked great, but the cost was twice that of a comparable imperial sized bush. Rod ends are a similar story. If I lived in Europe, this wouldn’t bet the case, but here in NA, most have trouble thinking outside the box - and metric is outside the box for most.
Trust me, I'm pro metric. I changed a lot of item on the Bronze during her restoration just so that I could eliminate as many imperial fasteners as possible - I went to great lengths. But rod ends did not get swapped for metric, only new imperial ones installed due to costs of the parts and the unnecessary reengineering it would require..

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.