air care

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
GrandMasterGoat

Post by GrandMasterGoat »

ugh. octane doesn't mean cleaner. octane doesn't mean hotter or a quicker explosion. i will just get rid of that preconception right now. if the gas burned quicker with the higher octane that just means that that engine would be enduring a more violent explosion in the combustion chamber =ing wear and tear. all that little number at the pumps means is the amount of burnable oxygen in the fuel. meaning a longer and not hotter burn*. octane can improve hp and torque resulting in better gas mileage. but on the downside if you car is tuned hella bad it can cause post ignition of the oxygen causing real problems. it also doesn't hurt that most of the major gas companies add additive like techron and ethanol to their mid and high range gasses.

* gas burns at the exact same temp no matter what unless under compression. at steady compression the temperature will be the same and at average atomization of the gas, the increased oxygen in the gas causes a more consistant burn. therefore a consistant and longer burn pushes a longer time on the piston.

sorry this subject is one of my pet peives. i just want people to know the truth on those bloody numbers so i don't have to answer the questions at work
wtf

Post by wtf »

...You go girl!
GrandMasterGoat

Post by GrandMasterGoat »

i will eat you and steal all your parts
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Then I will eat you, and steal all of YOUR parts. ;)
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE