General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Darrell

air care

Post by Darrell »

is it true that if i put camping fuel in the gas tank my car will pass air care
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

haven't heard that one before!! :lol:

I couldn't tell you one way or another. Methyl Hydrate didn't even help my dad this time round...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

would methyl hydrate screw up my engine?
wtf

Post by wtf »

No. Methyl Hydrate won't... It's just gas line antifreeze.

I wouldn't trust the camping fuel.. I mean that's basically diesel right ? It can't be good. Just max out your idle (1g tops... I hear) Set your mixture... and cross your fingers.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

amm...what if i take my tach off and set the idle at 1300 hehe
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

how mush methyl hydrate do i put in?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

are you aircaring the dime listed in your signature?
have you failed already?

I don't think you'll have much luck without professional help. Those Webers are a pain.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

my 510 is at the shop for tuneup cuz those webers are too much carb for the engine

and my van needs to go thru air care and i dont think it'll pass cuz the timing is a little off but i dont have the money yet to have it professional tune
wtf

Post by wtf »

Darrell wrote:amm...what if i take my tach off and set the idle at 1300 hehe
If only it was that easy.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

94 Octane from Mohawk first, failing that Chevron 94 is a close second. Believe it of not, new, clean oil does help. Get the temperature as hot as you can without killing it (like 190-200 deg F.), retard the timing as much as you can while still getting it to run, make sure the air cleaniers are very clean, and a 50/50 mix of methol hydrate will still run! That's about as much as I can offer. Darrell, what car do you have (motor wise)??
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

chevy 350 motor with cam and exhaust modiflication. the timing is retarded right now but are u sure i have to retard the timing as much as i can? would that make it NOT have a clean burn?
GrandMasterGoat

Post by GrandMasterGoat »

you may also want to pop the spark plugs out and give them a little sanding. a clean plug burns better and hotter

also the octane # means nothing for burning cleaner. mohawk has ethanol a.k.a booze hooch and other names this burns much cleaner than just regular gas
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nope, a retarded timing makes the hydrocarbons drop - don't ask why, but it has to so with a colder burning cycle - the more advanced, the hotter the cycle (which would make sence for detonation and pre-ignition if you think about it) These tips were really ment for the 510, but all info is transfered to that american thing, although that lump may run with no timing, so back it down to 3-5 degrees and see if it will still start. Then go from there.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
wtf

Post by wtf »

I'm doing this, this week sometime.. Anyone got any other suggestions or additions ?
wtf

Post by wtf »

Imma grab a liter or two of methol hydrate, retard it, already dumped some 94 in it, lean it out a tiny bit more, and cross my fingers, i'm taking it in tomorrow.