OR4NGE Restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
shlammed

OR4NGE Restomod

Post by shlammed »

Been a time since I've been here and I havent shared my project.

I inherited a '71 510 4 door in orange from the husband of my childhood babysitter.

Here is how it was when I found it.

I came back a week later with a trailer and loaded it up.

Took it to a garage near my cottage where I work on it as time permits which hasnt been much.

I had started off trying to clean it up, see what I had and see if I could get the L16 running. It was clean but it was in no state to run. It had sat for about 20 years before I picked it up. The rings were packed solid with gunk, there was lots o f crystallized coolant in places it shouldnt be and the valves were stuck to the stem seals. We pulled the engine.

In hopes of keeping it easy I picked up an L20 to swap in but it needed just as much work as the L16. Either I was hoping to EFI convert.
Doing the math and knowing that both of these engines really wasnt what I had wanted I decided to pull the plug on a swap.
I chose a Honda CRV k24 engine. Its not one of the high performance versions of the engine but thats fine.

At this point I decided to go a bit further with dissasembly and pulled all of the stuff off the bottom of the car to refinish the underside while I have everything apart.
Somewhere in there I met up with @icehouse and picked up a JBC subframe and a pair of the JBC s13 spindle adapters.

That basically gets me to where I am now over the last year. Its been a busy year personally and I've mostly been hoarding parts as they come available on the used market or clearance blowout since this is intended to be a budget build.

This is intended to be a simple restomod.

Its going to be a driver once I can get it to that point. Its not a nuts and bolts restoration.
I have a style that is basic JDM 90's style in my past cars that will probably translate over for this build. Simplicity but clearly not stock.

shlammed

Re: OR4NGE Restomod

Post by shlammed »

Details on the plan forward at this point.

Basic engine swap.... or as basic as I can.
Honda K24 crv engine.
Vtec deleted and locked. K20 3 lobe cams on large lobe.
Kpower intake manifold (one of the only new at msrp parts so far, these are in high demand)
Kpower BRZ transmission adapter and aluminum flywheel. Found a good deal on this used.
AEM Infinity ECU (308 base spec part)

BRZ 6 speed aisin transmission with Kpower floor mounted shifter. These transmissions use an external linkage so I can place the shifter where I need to.

JBC v1 rack and pinion conversion
JBC s13 suspension adapter

I will still need:
Fuel supply system
Aftermarket speedo
K20 style oil pump and oil pan mods
Driveshaft
Coolant system/hoses
Engine/trans mounts
exhaust
coilovers
wheels
s13 or z32 brakes for up front.

Fortunately Im a relatively competent fabricator in my spare time so most of the custom work wont be a problem. Ive made all of these things in previous projects. One major one being an FE3 swapped miata.
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

This looks great, I'll follow this enthusiastically.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
https://www.instagram.com/dutchydatsun510/
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

Kpower Trans adapter and adapter flywheel on the engine

Kpower intake manifold.  Skunk2 throttle body (66mm) coming in the next week or so.

Hope to get the car on the tip over jig and rolled this weekend.
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

Looks great. Definitely going to be following your build. I've got the JBC s13 suspension adapter also, got all the brake/hubs, just haven't decided on coil overs yet. Any reason to go with the skunk2 66mm tb instead of the kpower 74mm?
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

freekwonder wrote: 01 Mar 2024 11:08 Looks great. Definitely going to be following your build. I've got the JBC s13 suspension adapter also, got all the brake/hubs, just haven't decided on coil overs yet. Any reason to go with the skunk2 66mm tb instead of the kpower 74mm?
This is a street car. Stock throttle body isn’t a real restriction on a tsx and this is 2m bigger.

74mm is huge and I’m not trying to make 1000hp.
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

Few things to report.

BRZ trans fits super well.  There will be no clearancing needed for the body of the transmission.  Depending on final placement of the engine I may need to make some clearance for the clutch release arm.  I didnt have the engine or JBC subframe with me to actually get the engine placed.

Here it is jammed all the way back against the firewall, the engine would likely only barely clear the firewall here.  The trans is the same height as the frame rails.  I would need to make a doghouse for the clutch slave if Im able to place the engine this far back.

Here it is where I expect a KA/sr swap would normally sit.  Maybe a little bit of extra clearance required but maybe just a good whack with a hammer and it would work too.

Finished up my tip-over jig and got it all bolted on.

It worked.

Next time I go up I hope to have some prep materials with me to start cleaning the bottom up.  I think Im past the disassembly part now.  Big feelings!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Tip over is neat!
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

gooned wrote: 04 Mar 2024 19:29 Tip over is neat!
It will make life easier for sure!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Your tip over is brilliant!
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

shlammed wrote: 03 Mar 2024 07:37
freekwonder wrote: 01 Mar 2024 11:08 Looks great. Definitely going to be following your build. I've got the JBC s13 suspension adapter also, got all the brake/hubs, just haven't decided on coil overs yet. Any reason to go with the skunk2 66mm tb instead of the kpower 74mm?
This is a street car. Stock throttle body isn’t a real restriction on a tsx and this is 2m bigger.

74mm is huge and I’m not trying to make 1000hp.
I'm not planning 1,000 hp race car either, just a fun put around car. And nicely it seems like the skunk2 was a bit cheaper than the kpower TB.
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

Slow going with house renos starting up.

66mm skunk2 came in. I will be blocking off the emissions hose on top and the B series MAP sensor. Cut it off, tap it for a small plug fitting. Debating if I will run coolant or not. I will probably taper from the throttle plate to 74mm to match the intake manifold.

Drilled the intake manifold MAP sensor port to 12mm for a Bosch TMap sensor. Its a pressure/temp combo. Saves me from welding a separate fitting for air temp and this is 3bar if I ever need that extra 2bars of positive pressure. (plus I already had it)