Apex Engineered Rear Kit Issues

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
AustonG

Apex Engineered Rear Kit Issues

Post by AustonG »

For Apex's rear suspension kit, was wondering if anyone else here has bought one and ran into any issues? Have had a series of issues with mine and bring it to light here!
I bought, choosing the R200 option since I had one from a 280zx laying around. The square in the crossmember to bolt the diff was too small for the diff to fit into. My father grinded down the diff (HUGE mistake!!! Have second one) to make it fit but the little humps near the bolt holes hit the cross before the holes lined up. Also the bearing hubs for the arms are thick, making it impossible to attack the caliper brackets on. I know there are a couple companies working on making brackets that will work, I bought T3 ones so just upsetting they don't fit because I'm a fan of T3 products. The mustache bar also does not fit onto the back cover, having to use two washer to make it fit. After getting it assemble to bolt into the car, all 4 bolts from the crossmember and mustache bar did not line up. Just making to aware of the issues I have had for anyone looking into this product, I feel like Apex needs an overhaul on their rear kit!
Attachments
IMG_6762 (1) (1).jpeg
IMG_6762 (1) (1).jpeg (186.69 KiB) Viewed 253 times
IMG_6765 (1).jpeg
IMG_6765 (1).jpeg (176.52 KiB) Viewed 253 times
IMG_6700 (1).jpeg
IMG_6700 (1).jpeg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 253 times
IMG_6699 (1).jpeg
IMG_6699 (1).jpeg (130.25 KiB) Viewed 253 times
IMG_6697 (1).jpeg
IMG_6697 (1).jpeg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 253 times
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: Apex Engineered Rear Kit Issues

Post by ostaylor »

I have both the front and rear suspension and similarly, I have run into several fitment issues, which I have posted in my build thread. A few things that I have strongly suggested to them, but yet to be corrected as far as I know - a full packing list which lists every part, nut bolt, washer, etc. and quantity. Detailed installation instructions - they told me they were moving all of this to YouTube, but I have yet to see anything. If you are not a suspension person (I am not), you are going to be guessing. Fitment options - the various rear differentials and front struts have different fitment and they should ask these questions when accepting an order. They assumed 510 front struts (as most here know, 280zx strut changes are common for the 510) and this caused an issue for the front control arms.

On a positive note, I will give them credit for being responsive. They have shipped missing parts (at least two shipments as I didn't even know what I was missing as there wasn't a packing list!), walked me through things on video calls, and recently sent replacement parts for my 280zx struts). If my car was ready to roll, I would probably be more irritated but I am a long ways off, so I am patient. I like what Apex is trying to do and hope they continue to make improvements and develop parts for the 510 platform. Of course I also hope that when I do get up and running that I am really happy with the results!

I have been communicating with DP Racing and they are putting together a rear brake kit with e-brake options that will fit the Apex rear suspension. I also understand that Apex is changing the design so that standard rear brake caliper mounts will fit in the future.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I must admit, as I watch those that have bought this kit...will it really help in the long run?

Will it justify the cost once a setting is established?

I set my Rear toe and camber 40 years ago...and have never touched it since. That is with the rear brackets that Andy made and have been copied for years now by Byron's brackets. Adapting a brake caliper was simple as hell.

To have to modify / grind just makes no sense to me at all on a product that is supposed to be ready to go!

I dunno, seems like a LOT of money to accomplish something quite simple.

Keep us posted and good luck!

I also admit I am a bit of a dinosaur too.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

I do think that it would solve some basic geometry issues... like toe change over bump that would be useful.

But I wouldnt mind seeing that measured or at least in a video stock vs this setup where it shows side by side the stock vs apex going through a full sweep of bump.