Idler arms

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Chadsinto510s

Idler arms

Post by Chadsinto510s »

Let me preface this by: I'm probably WAY over thinking this...

My wagon needs a new idler arm. I'm running one with a delrin conversion in it. I *think* it was a MOOG that I had and the delrin kit happened to fit it. Anyway, it worked great until the ball joint end started wearing out. Rare parts (if I can find one in stock someplace) is about 95-100$ for a stock replacement. Ermish wants like 85$ for a stock replacement and about 180$ for one with delrin already installed. T3 wants about 200$ for roughly the same thing and do not offer a stock replacement. New factory idler arms are NLA anymore so...

Then there's these guys: https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p91/Idler_Arm.html

Also about 200$ but it looks completely rebuildable as long as one could find the proper sized bearings.

Has anyone run one of Apex Engineered idler arms? Or know someone who has so I can get some feedback on the product? I like the idea of being able to rebuild it. Assuming that's the case anyway. I have an email in to them but haven't heard back yet.

OR am I over thinking this and should just get whatever idler arm I can get my hands on?

Thanks all!
---Yeah, I said what I said.
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: Idler arms

Post by ostaylor »

I have that idler arm as it comes with the full front suspension. I can't speak to whether it can be rebuilt or its performance as I have test fit it only. I am many months from being on the road with this build.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

ostaylor wrote: 14 Aug 2023 17:38 I have that idler arm as it comes with the full front suspension. I can't speak to whether it can be rebuilt or its performance as I have test fit it only. I am many months from being on the road with this build.
No worries. We all know how long projects can take. They are rebuildable according to Apex. The bearings are "off the shelf" and can be had from McMaster-Carr or Amazon according to them. How was the fit? Do the bearings look like they are sealed? I asked Apex if they were sealed but have received no response after my initial inquiry.

TIA.
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

As it turns out Apex responded saying the bearings are in fact sealed and provided the part # to go with them. Now to flip a coin and decide...
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

I just decided to pull the trigger on the Apex part. Seems like an interesting possibility at any rate.
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

Chadsinto510s wrote: 15 Aug 2023 07:11
ostaylor wrote: 14 Aug 2023 17:38 I have that idler arm as it comes with the full front suspension. I can't speak to whether it can be rebuilt or its performance as I have test fit it only. I am many months from being on the road with this build.
No worries. We all know how long projects can take. They are rebuildable according to Apex. The bearings are "off the shelf" and can be had from McMaster-Carr or Amazon according to them. How was the fit? Do the bearings look like they are sealed? I asked Apex if they were sealed but have received no response after my initial inquiry.

TIA.
I found your thread with a pic of the idler arm installed. Looks decent. Any comments or complaints on it?
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Chadsinto510s wrote: 16 Aug 2023 08:54
I found your thread with a pic of the idler arm installed. Looks decent. Any comments or complaints on it?
That fitment was just pre-paint to see how everything will eventually go together. Even then, I did not tighten everything up completely as there are lock nuts etc. that I do not want to break in. Bottom line - it looks great but I have no idea what the performance will be like. They do have a good reputation in the Z world for similar parts. My only concern is how new all their 510 stuff is. They told me they had sold "about 50" of the 510 setups but I'm struggling with that. I can barely find anyone else with them - moreso the back than the front which has been around a little longer.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

ostaylor wrote: 16 Aug 2023 13:47
Chadsinto510s wrote: 16 Aug 2023 08:54
That fitment was just pre-paint to see how everything will eventually go together. Even then, I did not tighten everything up completely as there are lock nuts etc. that I do not want to break in. Bottom line - it looks great but I have no idea what the performance will be like. They do have a good reputation in the Z world for similar parts. My only concern is how new all their 510 stuff is. They told me they had sold "about 50" of the 510 setups but I'm struggling with that. I can barely find anyone else with them - moreso the back than the front which has been around a little longer.
No worries. My current idler arm needs replacing. I ordered the Apex one. I'll report back as to fit and finish and performance as soon as I can. As to finding 510 people who have bought Apex stuff; I have found over the years that there are a lot of owners not on here or Ratsun or Facecrook or even the Bluebirds list. So it's possible many buyers may have fallen into that category? Who knows? LOTS of projects never go anywhere too. My 2 door is starting to fall into that category unfortunately. I'm hoping to get back onto it in the next year or so...
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I should have a good stock idler arm if needed.

I heard years ago, that the delrin etc kits do not fit the aftermarket repop idler arms, so I have always kept OE USED ones around. I know "555" made a repop, but I never researched WHICH aftermarket did not work with the kits...............
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The 510 idler arm is the same as the 610/710/B-210 and the S10 200sx
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

There are two different idler arms for 510's. Wagons had a different one then sedans.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

icehouse wrote: 21 Sep 2023 13:41 There are two different idler arms for 510's. Wagons had a different one then sedans.
Not according to the catalog there isn't. It lists one and only one. I think there was something listed in a TSB way back when. But I don't have it anymore and usually, when a part gets adopted from a TSB the catalog gets updated to reflect that. Usually. Anyone got a copy of the TSB by any chance? Also, doesn't really matter if there was more than one at some point, no one lists anything but the one number now for new or aftermarket. And factory new is NLA anyway.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The problem lies in the fact it changes the inner tie rod pivot point. Wagon's had less bump steer from the factory with the 10mm steering box and idler arm box pivot height. They can say all they want I measured them in real life :)

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Hey icehouse, I think Chad is talking about the steering idler assembly on the passenger side (USA spec), not the steering box idler arm!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

icehouse wrote: 25 Sep 2023 11:42 The problem lies in the fact it changes the inner tie rod pivot point. Wagon's had less bump steer from the factory with the 10mm steering box and idler arm box pivot height. They can say all they want I measured them in real life :)
Oh I believe you. Never contested that. Like I said, USUALLY TSB parts get adopted to the catalog to reflect any changes of that nature. Apparently Nissan didn't do this with the 510. However it's completely moot as the factory catalog only lists 1 regardless of body (2/4/wagon) or year (68-73). And it's been NLA for years and years now anyhow. And the aftermarket only lists one also. So no choice as I'm not putting a used one on my car if I can help it. If I can get 15 years out of a delrin modded moog, I'm betting I can get just as much out of this Apex Engineered one. IF I can ever get then to ship the bloody thing. Plus with theirs I can rebuild it as much as I like as the bearing are replaceable on both ends. So in theory I can get a lifetime out of it with only occasionally replacing bearings.

Thanks for the pics. That's interesting. Can you post the numbers that are on them? And which of the 3 is a wagon specific one? I can chase down part numbers and supercessions easy. I just can't quite see the #'s in the pics.

Wait.... Those are pitman arms in the pics. I'm talking about idler arms. For pitman arms they list 4 depending on year/doors/body.

I'm trying to get one of the older techs to help me dig up the TSB. I'm wondering what was in it exactly.