Should the 510 Realm be viewable by non-registered users?

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
ostaylor
Supporter

Should the 510 Realm be viewable by non-registered users?

Post by ostaylor »

I am seeing posts in other places on the interwebs (mostly Facebook Datsun related forums) wondering what happened the The510Realm, thinking such things as donations are mandatory, can't get access, irritated by registration etc.

I completely understand the rationale that users must be registered to post - this is how you can delete spammer accounts or anyone who doesn't play by the rules. However, I suspect it also is a significant deterrent to some people who just genuinely want to browse the vast amount of knowledge in these forums and search for information that is helpful to them in their Datsun related projects. I also suspect that this restriction will prevent search engines from cataloging the Realm archives in their search engine algorithms, which over time will lead to fewer users and therefore fewer supporting users.

I have offered before to assist with the site administration. Not trying to take anything away from anyone else but I am reasonably computer savvy and know that these sites run on volunteer hours.

Thoughts from those in the know?
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
iceman510

Re: Should the 510 Realm be viewable by non-registered users?

Post by iceman510 »

I am curious as well as to whether not allowing viewing unless logged in was a conscious choice or an inadvertent result of changes needed from last fall's situation. I have been meaning to ask about this too.

I generally would pop in for a quick glance around, then log in when necessary for longer term activities. For those not members, if you find a link during a search, you can't access the information. In my opinion, this is not a beneficial situation for attracting readers as mentioned above. I would prefer it go back to being viewable without login. Of course restricting posting to registered users is as it should be.

Thanks.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I was the same, my morning routine, glance at topics, see what was new.

Last edited by bertvorgon on 25 Apr 2023 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I have a friend in Norway? Bjorn-Einar Otteson who wishes to view and read content. Can't do either. Has an old account? but can't get in. Needs to reset his password or something. I've asked for help for the last 4 and a half months but it goes nowhere. Talked to him two days ago and he's about to give up.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I agree. It should be viewable without registration; registered & logged in to post, of course.

Unfortunately, social media has all but killed forums & any barrier deters participation. A bit off-topic, here, but I owned/ran a very active forum for 12 years and participation steadily dropped off the last couple due to people wanting to post on Facebook, IG, etc., instead. I was routinely told to move the site to Facebook because it was a "hassle to go to the forum from FB". Like, what?? I don't think I've ever been that lazy, to click a mouse, but whatever. The problem with social media is that it just doesn't function as an "archive" like forums do. I much prefer a forum format, myself but it is what it is. I guess I'm a dinosaur.

...Why, back in my day, we didn't have a mouse; we had to type in the IP address! And when we finally did get a mouse, we had to multi-click! Uphill! Both ways! In a snowstorm!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Here's me, another dinosaur. Keith has dinosaur status I think. It's my birthday today. Some things I embrace like being retired but f/b I never will.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Some great thoughts, thanks for sharing.

iceman510 - I do believe I read somewhere that the decision was made to change things so that the forum was only viewable by registered users. I do not think the consequences of this decision have been carefully considered.

Rush - I agree that the forum format and archives are so much better of a format than the instant, quick, short one time posts on social media. I am on Facebook and Instagram, but this is a much better way to share and retain such a vast amount of experience.

datzenmike - Happy Birthday! How were you able to retire so young? 8)
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yup....I rolled 73 this PAST March....YIKES!!!!

Dinosaur yes.....flip phone...no social media.....Still Windows 7...I at least learned how to change the clock on the VCR, feel like a wizard now!

I have now been playing with Datsuns for 54 years, who would have thought? When I had my 58' Chevy, which was 10 years old in 1968, I thought THAT was an antique...my 510 is 50 years old this year...I'm the antique.

This site does need to be preserved, it is truly a wonderful repository of both history of the 510 Club of B.C., with our drives and stories, but even more important, the technical aspect is HUGE, the "how to" segments, peoples build threads that show future people how to do things. This must not be lost.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

bertvorgon wrote: 25 Apr 2023 06:21 This site does need to be preserved, it is truly a wonderful repository of both history of the 510 Club of B.C., with our drives and stories, but even more important, the technical aspect is HUGE, the "how to" segments, peoples build threads that show future people how to do things. This must not be lost.
Flip phone or not, you add a lot of value here Keith, my thanks for that and the specific things you have helped me with.

Agree that the knowledge here needs to be preserved. I'd like to find a way to make that happen and I am willing to contribute.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
BEO 510

Post by BEO 510 »

In today's world with all the junk, this is a great place to come. The format is great, the people, the skills and their knowledge is great. It is always something to learn here. I only became a member here because i was "forced" to it. And the only place i am a member. Like i said in the introduction i could read here all that i wanted for twelve years, but in January that ended. It took three month's to be a member and come here again, don't know how it happens. I am not at all complaining, i understand there had been problems. My point is that as a lurker i had time to learn that this is great forum, so of course i join. The reason for not having done it before, is that i feel i have not much to contribute. The people who pull the load and run this must decide, but i don't think there is much to lose with keeping this forum open for reading. I agree with being registered to post, that is kind of obviously. My user name should been "stuck in the past", "twenty years behind" or something like that. Same simple Nokia button cell phone and got my pc in 2010. The pc i regret i didn't got at least ten years earlyer. I am not a great supporter that everything was better in the past, but many thing was. Keep up the good work, i am more or less reading everything on here.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah what gives! My phone isn't logged in now I can't anything.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The site has changed, in as much you HAVE to log in even to just read the posts.

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I am worried that without open access, the site will lose relevance and may not be accessible by search engines, which will limit new users. Facebook and Instagram are OK for some information, but this site is an amazing archive of build details that your really can't find anywhere else, especially when you are looking for 510 / 1600 specific information.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Yes. It should be viewable to unregistered users.

Verify an email address and post an intro before being able to create a new topic and then only allow one new topic creation a week for the first month to keep bots and whatnot away.