Mainshaft Nut M27 RH

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Mainshaft Nut M27 RH

Post by slowerthantime »

I've been freshening up my FS5W71B transmission. While putting it back together yesterday I realized that the replacement mainshaft nut is M27 X 1.0 LH thread but the shaft/ original nut is RH thread. After some googling it seems like the RH thread was a short lived early configuration. I can't find a replacement. Before I spend a small fortune getting one made, does anyone have one that they would part with? Cheers.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Mainshaft Nut M27 RH

Post by datzenmike »

Try Nissan. 32354-A7400 used through '78 and changed in '79 to 32534-A7400 depending on vehicle. The original did sometimes loosen and you loose 5th. My '79 zx 5 speed I tightened (just to be sure) and it turned maybe 3/16" but I'm sure it was right hand. This would make sense as the left turning mainshaft would tighten against the nut. Left hand would try to loosen the nut.

Is it possible that you have a later 5 speed? that should use a right hand nut?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can find that part. To be honest, I'm not sure what era the transmission is. You ID'd it a few years ago....from memory 1977 ish wide ratio.
I will post some pics tomorrow.
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

Unfortunately the part numbers Mike posted are NLA from Nissan USA. I ran all the to83 trans main shaft nuts, including the LH indicated ones and they are all NLA from Nissan USA. Maybe Nissan Canada is still good for them?
---Yeah, I said what I said.