New member - Looong time 510 fan

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
VR510

New member - Looong time 510 fan

Post by VR510 »

Hello all, I'm so excited to finally join this forum!
In 2010 I spotted a 2-door in front of my girlfriends neighbors house and after mustering up some courage ( a few months) I finally knocked on the door and asked if he'd have any interest in parting from the car, he said "oh that... yeah I get that question a lot, I don't think I could sell it" so I asked him if he wanted any extra help getting it going, he agreed and over the next few months every now and again I'd stop by and we'd catch up and do a little work, until one day I took the carb off, emptied out all the fuel, cleaned it out, reassembled it and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank, brought a battery from my parents old truck and we got it going!

Well to my surprise, as its sitting there running he said "you really want it?" and I said "well yeah, but I'm happy to just to help you out". We'd become friends of sort by that time, and he said "$1000 and its yours" I made sure he was serious and was truly okay with passing the car along, and then we made the deal!

Unfortunately a few months later I took it out for a little joyride and saw brake lights in front of me (I was going 30mph) and eased on the brakes and they locked up and I slid into the car in front of me at about 15mph, adding a nice crinkle to the front of the car, and I spent the next decade always a little too broke to work on the car. But I finally have my ducks in a row and its time to get it going!