Dash The Automatic Express , 70 2 door auto

View and post your 510 project(s)
Pjackb

Re: Dash The Automatic Express , 70 2 door auto

Post by Pjackb »

Little side project test fitted today

Early on when I decided to run 240Z SUs I looked at what air filter options were available and quickly saw that other than using single cone filters there were not a lot of options to chose from. The only decent one I could find was the L18 SSS assembly but not only it’s getting rare it needs to be modified to clear the BMC and enlarge for the larger carbs.

I don’t particularly like single filters, and I wanted to run small stacks and a PCV hose so I decided to make my own.

I had on had a couple of older slightly messed up Roadster Solex air filter assembly covers that I felt would work well because of their shape to run a larger element and clear the BMC

I designed the assembly to match the cover and started by doing a carboard mock-up then sent everything to my welder to put it together and here are the results

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Well done. Hats off to you!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Quite nice. That filter size readily available?

Side note, what wires are you running to route around the valve cover? L6 set using the longer ones, or custom?
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

RONSLYCHUK wrote: 29 Mar 2023 14:33 Well done. Hats off to you!
Thank you

iceman510 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 18:37 Quite nice. That filter size readily available?
Thanks and yes easily available, It’s an OEM Nissan filter for a 240Z

iceman510 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 18:37
Side note, what wires are you running to route around the valve cover? L6 set using the longer ones, or custom?
I had a bunch of brand new NGK wires on hand and used 2 wires from a L4 kit and number 2 and 6 wires from the L6 kit
I will most likely be making new ones with black MSD wires and right angle connectors at the spark plugs , that’s what I have in my Z it make for a cleaner look
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

Got all the parts for the exhaust today, looking forward to install this ,
it's basically the same kit that I have on my 260Z which sound awesome but 2" instead of 2.5"

I looked at what Dadzun did in this thread and will do something similar
https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.p ... x+pipe#top
DADZSUN wrote: 01 Apr 2016 18:02
When starting this project I had no idea how much supply to get. I purchased 45, 90, and 180 degree bends, a 6 inch length of flex pipe, and ~5 feet of piping.PreExhaust.jpg

It turns out that I was pretty much bang on, here's all that was left when I was done: RemainingExhaust.jpg
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

Work on the interior is progressing and I have most of the front of the dash out for a refresh and installation of this new old stock km/h cluster I chanced into a few months ago , since the speedo has an orange needle I plan to use one of the orange tach to have a match , I do have some questions on the wiring of the tach but will ask it in a separate post

The dash pad is really a mess and will require extensive work to bring back

one of these moment where you go what have I gotten myself into :roll: :lol:

I've also bee mocking up some floor console ideas

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Hmm, I think I've seen this movie before! lol!
What are your plans for the dash pad? Is there a restoration method for them? I have seen something on Amazon (that I can't recall at the moment) that claims to be a pliable dash crack filler. I've seen other disastrous attempts with things like expanding foam & body filler but nothing that has knocked my socks off.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

Rush wrote: 08 Apr 2023 08:48 Hmm, I think I've seen this movie before! lol!
What are your plans for the dash pad? Is there a restoration method for them? I have seen something on Amazon (that I can't recall at the moment) that claims to be a pliable dash crack filler. I've seen other disastrous attempts with things like expanding foam & body filler but nothing that has knocked my socks off.
I was planning to restore it as I've done this before but I may have found a replacement so fingers crossed

What you've seen on Amazon is a knock off of the Polyvance dsh repair system, I have not tried the copies so cannot comment on it but I have used the real thing a few times now an it is awesome and coupled with SEM paints gives incredible results

I'm going to try something here , not sure if it will work (but it should ) but This my write up from one of my roadster's build thread on 311s.org
Pjackb wrote: 08 Mar 2021 21:29 For my next project I’ve started fixing the dash pad

Now I know I can get a reproduction dash pad from Dean and I have one in Mrs Blue ,
but while it’s a nice piece 2 things bugs me about it , the first is the padding I like the look of the original and you lose that with the thick padding of the reproduction , don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful piece its just personal preference .

The second thing that bothers me is that while the price is somewhat reasonable , getting one to Canada isn’t once you factor in shipping, taxes and duties we’re talking close to $1150 CND . at that price I figured I should at least try to fix mine first and then if I can’t ill just buy one

My cost so far of material I’m at $82.00

This is what I started with

After fixing the cracks with Polyvance plastic solder and filling the repairs with Bondo

This is where I’m at as of today I'm 80% completed
My plan was to install the Vinyl without any seams but I unfortunately made a calculating mistake in one corner and will end up with 1 seam total

Pjackb wrote: 11 Mar 2021 12:06 Dash pad is pretty much done, I'm going to let it sit a week or 2 for the glue to fully cure and then hit it wit a couple coats of SEM Satin Black
I could leave like this but the color is not as pure black as I would like and I want it to match with the center console I redid , also from a maintenance perspective the surface will attract lest dirt and be more easily maintained compared with the finish on the vinyl. the paint will also make the place where I had to make a seam less visible

Lessons learned for those that may decide to attempt this
  • Take your time
  • Polyvance is much better than foam filler
  • Use the Polyvance reinforcing mesh in the back to solidify
  • Warm up the vinyl but dont let it get too hot
  • The solvents in Vinyl cement are very strong do this outside or wear a respirator
  • The solvent will soften some vinyl so no need to use heat (test first )
  • test the vinyl for stretch before buying
  • TAKE YOUR TIME
I'm very happy with the results considering the costs and it's a first time for me to do this

and final product installed

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Nicely done! I'll have to look into that stuff. The 510 dash pad would be a snap compared to that one!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

There is always Just Dashes, but I think in the neighborhood of $900 to do the 510 pad. I may be off on that, as that my be the 240Z price.

https://www.justdashes.com/datsun/model-510/
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

iceman510 wrote: 10 Apr 2023 07:44 There is always Just Dashes, but I think in the neighborhood of $900 to do the 510 pad. I may be off on that, as that my be the 240Z price.
https://www.justdashes.com/datsun/model-510/
Justdashes do amazing work but they are IMO ridiculously priced
They've increased their prices again and are now asking $4000 for a late roadster dash and floor console combo, I have not checked pricing for 510s but I am hearing in the $1500 range.

For 510 a more reasonable choice would be Vintagedashes.com, they offer a beautiful reproduction for $425 usd.

For Myself I lucked out and found this one at a very reasonable from a contact

loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Look into swapping out those old bulbs in the cluster with LED bulbs. I found some online that are great replacements and are a bit brighter than stock.

The wiring of the tach isn't bad. Just spending some time with a wiring diagram is a must.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

loungin112 wrote: 10 Apr 2023 18:01 Look into swapping out those old bulbs in the cluster with LED bulbs. I found some online that are great replacements and are a bit brighter than stock.

The wiring of the tach isn't bad. Just spending some time with a wiring diagram is a must.
thanks , yes the plan is LED bulbs all around for the car so definitely replacing all cluster bulbs
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

One of the good things about the car interior was that while the panels were faded had overspray on them and were generally quite used there was no major rips or tears and they were complete. also the backing panel board were in very good shape , ditto for the plastic dash component faded but other than a very small one no broken pieces or tabs

so instead of buying new ones I decided to refresh them using SEM products , as always with SEM and as I previously stated for the headliner project your result will only be as good as the prep work you put into it.

For the door cards I started by thoroughly cleaning them a couple times with CG Lighting Fast with a strong 5:1 dilution to remove years of grime , once dried I used a heat gun to stretch the vinyl and re tack at proper places and then did a final cleaning with SEM soap and gray scuff pad (gently) .
I followed that up with a couple coats of SEM Vinyl prep and and 3 light coats of 15013 Landau Black
The Landau Black is the preferred color for automotive interiors because the shine is just right sitting right between Satin and Semi Gloss in the shine level.

For the dash part I used a similar process of cleaning with the Lighting fast and SEM soap but Used the 39143 Trim Black Satin I prefer the Trim Black finish on plastic and metal pieces , as a side note you can also use the 49143 Trim Black Ultra Satin just know its more of a pure black and better suited for exterior pieces

A while back i had picked up some chrome paint pens and had never really had and opportunity to try them so gave it a go ,

actually surprised how well it came out , this is one coat
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

also got an update from the upholsterer that my seats are almost ready :D