Steering box and arm pitman arm needed

Post your forsale and wanted ads
toylet
Supporter

Steering box and arm pitman arm needed

Post by toylet »

Looking to buy a steering box and pitman arm for 1969-1972 510.
yenpit

Re: Steering box and arm pitman arm needed

Post by yenpit »

I will have a USED steering box, but I sell only as a rebuildable CORE! 99% of them have a worn out worm gear, so unless I personally DROVE a parts car (which is extremely rare) to prove to myself that the steering box was tight, it is a CORE to me. I did just sell a Wagon box (I pulled it) to a 2dr vintage racer. I told him the odometer showed 86k & the tag was 1986. I strongly suggested rebuidling, but he installed & said it was great! That to me is just plain luck of the draw! The only rebuilder I know of that PROPERLY rebuilds them is Redhead Gear...........not cheap, but the cheap "rebuilders" are only cleaning, new bearings, re-sealing & spray bombing. They do NOT address the worn out worm gear! That said, I get $75 + shipping for a CORE that articulates ok (not seized or feeling "crunchy"), including the pitman arm.

I just saw a Facebook thread on the possible differences, especially with the Wagons. I have sold 10+ to whoever asks over the years, never had a complaint that something doesn't fit. As far as I am aware, the basic chassis was the same 68-73 Sedan & Wagon. What possibly could be different?

PM if interested!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Interested sent you a PM
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

I picked up a used steering box at a swap meet.
I was going to send it to Redhead Gear to be rebuilt.
I want to use the car while the swap meet box is being rebuilt.
I own a 72 wagon.
How can I identify the difference between a sedan and a wagon steering box?
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
andrewm

Post by andrewm »

Just had my box rebuilt at STEERING SOLUTIONS in port kells. He addressed some pitting? I guess in my box worm gear. Said he welded it up and machined it. It was $550, and red head was 651$ after conversion. Randy @ steering solutions has been in business for 25 years
1970 510 wagon ka24e-t
gooned

Post by gooned »

Randy is the real deal. Nice.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

TJ... FWIW

Steering box assembly..

48010-23155..... wagon
48010-23150..... sedan

I thought the ratio might be different but the worm assy. are the same, sector shaft, case, bearings all the same. So the last two digits are the 'distinction number' and 50 and 55 are under 'processing'. This is something to do with the assembly line process during production.

I don't think this should concern us as far as fitment and internal parts.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

datzenmike wrote: 21 Jan 2023 18:29 TJ... FWIW

Steering box assembly..

48010-23155..... wagon
48010-23150..... sedan

I thought the ratio might be different but the worm assy. are the same, sector shaft, case, bearings all the same. So the last two digits are the 'distinction number' and 50 and 55 are under 'processing'. This is something to do with the assembly line process during production.

I don't think this should concern us as far as fitment and internal parts.
Great info! Ted Hedman posted on a Facebook post, a factory publication/bulletin showing the different pitman arms, all tied together with model year.......as they RAISED the cars for Federal ride/bumper height. That said, so many of the 510's were lowered, some in to the weeds, which blows the steering geometry in to the water regardless! I have seen center links rubbing the oil pans, which I would assume would be more common on an earlier lowered car, when they were still at a basic ride height from the factory.

That same publication/bulletin also showed that the center link changed, but I don't remember ever seeing more than ONE center link being available in the aftermarket. Perhaps the aftermarket saw this & only made the later version, cuz I think it would theoretically fit the early cars too.........??
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

68 goons had the same crossmember LCA height as the late model 510's but the 68 sedan had raised LCA pivots. Some of the changes were for bump steer direction as well. They changed the direction it towed under compression.

Also ride height doesn't make the center link position change.

Center link was the same on all the cars, the idler and steering arm were different to change the position of the center link.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

icehouse wrote: 24 Jan 2023 21:22 68 goons had the same crossmember LCA height as the late model 510's but the 68 sedan had raised LCA pivots. Some of the changes were for bump steer direction as well. They changed the direction it towed under compression.

Also ride height doesn't make the center link position change.

Center link was the same on all the cars, the idler and steering arm were different to change the position of the center link.
I wish I could link to what Ted Hedman posted, but I always lose FB posts, cuz so much activity......they get buried, get lost!! He posted a Datsun parts bulletin from way back in the day, which showed different part #'s for the pitman arm & the center link, which as far as I could tell, changed along with the VIN based ride height changes. My GUESS was that when the aftermarket picked up offering the center link, they simply chose to use the last available part, assuming it worked on earlier cars? I saw this kind of "part supercessions" often in my British parts career...............
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

I just checked my 72 wagon, and the steering box that I picked up at the swap meet, and they both have the same numbers on them.
48013 21400. D246L
Are you sure about 48010 23155 for a wagon?
also how do you determine if they are not functioning properly?
170 hp-180 tq
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20127&p=179694&hili ... nt#p179694

This link will take you to my "test article". Hope that helps.
In all the things that went wrong, needed regular maintenance, etc, the steering box was LAST on the list for any adjustment, which has led to the problem we have. Wishy washy when on center, like a Buick, yet when adjusted to get the 'slop" out, it is too tight on turning.

I was fortunate at the time, that ALL of us at Specialty started to have some very scary high speed tire shake in a straight line and under hard braking, that we upgraded to an HL510 box and got ( still available at the time), NEW worm and sector gears! Instant fix to all evil.

My box now is starting to feel the wear even on it, as the loading from race tires and sticky street race tires have taken their toll. If that company here can actually fix the problem, perfect steering again would worth whatever to me.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

Thanks for the help!
170 hp-180 tq
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

chunstone wrote: 28 Jan 2023 13:12 I just checked my 72 wagon, and the steering box that I picked up at the swap meet, and they both have the same numbers on them.
48013 21400. D246L
Are you sure about 48010 23155 for a wagon?
also how do you determine if they are not functioning properly?

48013-21400 is likely another part number just for the casting of the steering box. I get 48011-21400 for the casting for LHD used in USA

48010-23155 (wagon)
48010-23150 (sedan)

These above are for the steering gear assemblies inside. My apologies.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Bought a couple steering boxes from Yenpit.