Control arm bushings

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Nerius

Control arm bushings

Post by Nerius »

Hi all,

I'm trying to change the font control arm bushings on my '69. However, the old rubbers are conical in shape and the inside of the arm as well.
I've bought the energy suspension bushings and they are different. What should I do?
Old vs new bushing
Old vs new bushing
20221124_174224.jpg (169.89 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
https://www.instagram.com/dutchydatsun510/
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Control arm bushings

Post by datzenmike »

Those may be for the rear control arms.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The early front control arm bushings and arms are different. They use a 2 peice rubber and center metal tube. Later they went with the one peice metal and rubber bushing. And changed the arm. So your really going to need later arms. Pretty common. And in my opinion don't use poly bushings. I tried that and found it really makes the ride harsher and louder for no really gain in handling.
When I'm looking at used front arms it's the sway bar mounting hole that wears to an ugly oval. A crisp hole is a good sign.
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

Ah thanks for this Mike Y. Maybe I'll just leave it like this. The rubbers don't look that bad.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Just grab a set of later arms from a buddy. The newer bushings are much better. The early bushings like you have deflect so much more.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

Thanks Icehouse, but I'm afraid parts aren't that easy to find in Europe. I'll ask around.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I've dug around and found a pair of lower arms. But does anyone in know if the pivot bolt is different as well. And would he need the inner and outer washers.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I think I answered my question looking for washers. The pivots are the same. The inner washer is different. Probably the outer as well. I just don't have one. And I'm short the inner washers so far for a later arm.
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

No worries/hurry Mike. I don't need it quickly, thanks for checking though.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I will have a good USED pair of 70-73 510 front lower control arms, likely with good USED bushings still in place. If you are set on using the NEW Energy Suspension bushings you have, they do look correct for the 70-73 control arms.

I sell lots of 510 parts, but I no longer sell & process international deals, as it is simply too time consuming for me. I WILL however, list something on eBay USA, solely for a particular international buyer, because eBay handles ALL of the customs processes..............I simply ship to eBay, they ship to you. I have done this at least 10 times in the last 2 years. PM me if interested!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

.............and eBay USA offers deep international shipping discounts, which I can not offer outside of eBay. They call it their Global Shipping Program (GSP)..........consider looking in to that & let me know if interested!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Snapback86

Post by Snapback86 »

Hello,

I ran into this issue before. If it helps, the diagram will show you the two variations of the bushings. The bushing displayed in the main diagram is for early 1968-96 models. The side diagram on the displays the 1970-73 version. I have seen both bushings for sale online, however the descriptions are not exact. I reommend keeping your old bushing as reference when purchasing.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... ension.png