Shorty header recommendation

Post your forsale and wanted ads
Chadsinto510s

Shorty header recommendation

Post by Chadsinto510s »

I need to replace the header on my wagon as it's started leaking from between the tubes by the collector. I can't really complain as I've had the thing on a car for 20+ years. It's a shorty style and I would like to replace it with the same. I'm looking for recommendations for who to get one from. I was thinking about getting one from Top End Performance. Anyone have another, maybe better, recommendation?

Thanks!
---Yeah, I said what I said.
yenpit

Re: Shorty header recommendation

Post by yenpit »

Yuck. There have been "tests" made in the past, showing that the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds flow as good or better than the shorty headers.........they simply are NOT "tuned" properly to create power. Ermish has his own long tube headers that are said to create power, especially on built engines, but they are not cheap..........but ya get what ya pay for!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

yenpit wrote: 09 Aug 2022 09:10 Yuck. There have been "tests" made in the past, showing that the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds flow as good or better than the shorty headers.........they simply are NOT "tuned" properly to create power. Ermish has his own long tube headers that are said to create power, especially on built engines, but they are not cheap..........but ya get what ya pay for!
"as good or better" isn't good enough for me to want to rebuild my exhaust just to put a cast iron manifold, that I don't have and have never had as the car came with the header on it. I also don't want to rebuild the exhaust to move to a long tube header. I know long tubes are better but most long tube headers hang down too far and my car is pretty low.

EDIT: I just looked at Troys custom header and HOLY COW. $2400 + shipping is WAY out of my price range. No to mention this is a daily driver so I doubt I'd see any benefit. Nice looking piece though...

Thanks though!
Last edited by Chadsinto510s on 09 Aug 2022 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Yeah, I get it! I sure as heck don't have that kind of money to spend, but I do have stock manifolds! The 510 I just got has DCOE's & a long tube header from the 80's, haven't even LOOKED at that yet!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Another thing to consider is noise; the stock cast iron part will likely cut down a bit of the noise in your wagon, when compared to headers of any sort.
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

510rob wrote: 09 Aug 2022 12:28 Another thing to consider is noise; the stock cast iron part will likely cut down a bit of the noise in your wagon, when compared to headers of any sort.
Haha! Yeah I suppose. Hot rods of any kind are supposed to be loud, slightly uncomfortable to drive for long drives and always fun to drive!

I'm not worried about noise. :lol: :lol:

Thanks though!
Last edited by Chadsinto510s on 09 Aug 2022 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Not that you want to hear it. Lol. But I'm another vote for the stock , early , real 4 into 2 cast exhaust manifold. I do see headers from Indonesia or similar on Facebook all the time. Not sure if it's dpan or one of the 510 sites. I'll have a look
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The add is on Datsun 510 fanatics on Facebook
Purnomo exhaust.
I just searched header in that group. I know nothing about these guys or this header. See previous recommendation. Lol
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

MikeY wrote: 09 Aug 2022 13:56 Not that you want to hear it. Lol. But I'm another vote for the stock , early , real 4 into 2 cast exhaust manifold. I do see headers from Indonesia or similar on Facebook all the time. Not sure if it's dpan or one of the 510 sites. I'll have a look
Oh no, that's fine. I'm looking for opinions and what not. I knew what I was getting into when I posted this. :P

I don't want to rebuild my exhaust system though.

Thanks!
russaroll

Post by russaroll »

I had a TEP on my wagon and a cast mani. My driver seat dyno couldn't tell any difference. The TEP one looks a bit nicer than cast.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

My buddy put a short header on his goon. After installing it he came over and told me "it's making this terrible sound!" Nope that's just the noise a header makes. Most guys like that sound. He hated it. So funny. He wanted the stock manifold back. hahah!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Hey Chad, I might have one of these headers new sitting here. If I can get to the garage, find it and get a photo, I will send you an email (your Bluebird list email).
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

russaroll wrote: 09 Aug 2022 16:51 I had a TEP on my wagon and a cast mani. My driver seat dyno couldn't tell any difference. The TEP one looks a bit nicer than cast.
I like headers. I like the way they look. I realize a long tube header would be better but... I'm leaning heavily toward the TEP one.
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

icehouse wrote: 09 Aug 2022 17:50 My buddy put a short header on his goon. After installing it he came over and told me "it's making this terrible sound!" Nope that's just the noise a header makes. Most guys like that sound. He hated it. So funny. He wanted the stock manifold back. hahah!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

iceman510 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 06:54 Hey Chad, I might have one of these headers new sitting here. If I can get to the garage, find it and get a photo, I will send you an email (your Bluebird list email).
That would be great! Lemme know what you find. I wasn't planning on ordering anything for a couple more days at least anyway.