Headliner pictures

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
iceman510

Re: Headliner pictures

Post by iceman510 »

I had a Fuyao glass installed the end of August. It took my glass guy a few weeks to get, but no real issues. He could not find a Pilkington.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, guys! I looked them up per application and found a place in the Minneapolis area that claims to stock 510 windshields.

My existing one is broken, so I used it to experiment to see if I'd be able to install my own (since it was already broken). I did the rope method using Amsteel & it seemed to go ok until I got to the top corner. I wasn't able to get the rubber over the pinch. I tried 6 times & no luck; however, I was alone. I was worried I'd damage the edge of my new headliner so I figured I had better quit while I was ahead since I need a new windshield anyway.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

If you are using a stock style NEW seal that takes the stainless trim, you MUST install the stainless trim in place BEFORE installing the glass! If not, you will likely struggle getting it in the rubber seal after installing the glass!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Great tip! Thank you!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

So while I won't often disagree with TJ (Yenpit), here is my experience putting in windshields recently. Copied from my post at Ratsun.

Posted August 23
The front we did without molding installed. We did the rear first with the molding installed, and had to remove the lower right to get the corner to fit better. To put in the front afterwards, we sprayed the rubber with foaming glass cleaner (installer said he uses that for lube) and installed with trim sticks. Was less difficult than I expected, but those pieces are mostly straight. I didn't like the lower corner overlap and still not sure I have it right (vertical over horizontal) but that looked best. I have no separate corner pieces if there are supposed to be any.

Standard rope installation with a maybe 3/16 nylon cord. Rope was wrapped from bottom around the top and back down with about a 2 foot long overlap at the bottom. I pulled cord while he pushed on the glass. He instructed me to pull the rope essentially parallel to the glass, keeping away from perpendicular. No lube at all used, he said we wouldn't need it. Pulled one lower side first, around the lower corner, up to just below the upper corner, then started the other way and check the fit on the bottom and sides before continuing with the upper corners and across the top.

It helped he had these suction cups (professional perks). They have a flat surface you could hit with your had to move the glass down a bit after pulling the lower side. https://equalizer.com/jetpacks-vacuum-cups

Front went smoothly compared to the rear as the Precision seal I had fit really well and was quite pliant despite being 11 years old and still in the bag. Rear seal was from an unknown source and was a struggle to fit well at the lower corners. Also has to at times roll the rear seal a little with my fingers as after pulling the rope it seemed to want to retract off the vehicle lip before it was fully seated.

I think he also ran his trim stick around the seal from the inside after all in to make sure the fat part was all seated down on the flange and not hanging up anywhere.

Now that I have the quarter glass in too, I should be able to do a water test on the glass.

Hope that helps.

Here is the link to the original post if you want to see the other conversation.
https://ratsun.net/topic/13191-what-did ... /#comments
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Good info! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my glass. I can't even get a call back from any local glass place. I've been trying for weeks.