72 Wiper Motor Testing

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
MOJOJOJO78

72 Wiper Motor Testing

Post by MOJOJOJO78 »

I am trying to figure out if the switch is bad or if the wiper motor is bad. From looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the blue with red stripe wire is the positive into the motor. This should have power. The blue with white stripe is high, the blue with yellow stripe is low, black is ground and the solid blue is park I am assuming.
Is there a way to jump a couple of wires to see if the motor actually works? My thinking is that if I can jump some wires to get it to work then there is a bad connection at the switch or the switch is no good. If the motor doesn't work then the motor is bad.
The only wiring diagram I found was for a 71, but I am assuming that the 72 would be the same.
icehouse

Re: 72 Wiper Motor Testing

Post by icehouse »

IT's switched ground. Make sure the blue with red stripe has power (that's from memory) then check for grounds while switching the switch. If the car has sat unhook the linkage put make sure it has power turn it on high and tap it with a hammer. It will come back to life.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
MOJOJOJO78

Post by MOJOJOJO78 »

Thanks, I will try that. I did check and the blue with red stripe does have power.
MOJOJOJO78

Post by MOJOJOJO78 »

So I turned it on and nothing happened. So I tapped the motor with the end of a hammer and it started working. So I guess I will need to take the motor apart and clean the brush contacts and probably grease anything needing grease. Thanks for that suggestion. I have heard about doing that for a starter, but I totally forgot about it.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

No need to take it apart. Just run it for a bit and it's self healing. Done it to a million 510's. Rich bought a NOS wiper motor and although it could move the wipers on a dry window I wasn't impressed.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
MOJOJOJO78

Post by MOJOJOJO78 »

I tried running it when I got home yesterday and you were right. It works fine now. Both the low and high range work fine. One less thing to worry about now.