Possible better alternative to 280ZX struts found

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
broke

Re: Possible better alternative to 280ZX struts found

Post by broke »

The base to spindle angle is the same on both ZX struts, however obviously the tube is 2° off on one of them.
A24C7C52-D458-45EB-B1F3-A18B670CEEA7.jpeg
A24C7C52-D458-45EB-B1F3-A18B670CEEA7.jpeg (231.26 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
I don't know what it's going to take to convince people here, I can only explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. But it would be nice to not be treated like a QAnon conspiracy theorist, unless you feel like sending me some free strut tubes at your expense.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

download/file.php?id=51298

If you tilt the tube forward the spindle will tilt down and line up with the others.

Lay all the strut tubes flat on a table with the spindle ends hanging over the edge. Now look at the spindles and they should line up. Measuring the bottom where the steering knuckle and ball joint join makes some bad assumptions. The true angle is the strut tube to the spindle.

54303 is a left hand side strut. P6500 was not used in North America but some are P6525 and I presume yours to be zx. The S30 struts 6th digit begins with E or N
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

broke wrote: 03 Jan 2022 22:31
I don't know what it's going to take to convince people here, I can only explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. But it would be nice to not be treated like a QAnon conspiracy theorist, unless you feel like sending me some free strut tubes at your expense.
Dang now I want to go back and double check my zx struts. They are all on cars though.... Here the ZX had 3 version. Power steering, power assist and manual. Did you guys get all 3? The full power was a steering box, assist was a power rack and manual was a manual rack.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I did a shit ton of Google time on this and it appears we are both right. There seem to be 2 versions. One at 10° and another at 12° I couldn't find the correct part numbers for them though.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
gooned

Post by gooned »

I wish I remembered more, we did a funky pair of struts up on the Black 69 goon, possibly 610?

I do know Pat chose them for a camber/castor reason over the common ZX choice at the time.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I measured my zx struts at 24" from base to top, so on the car probably 20"???? A 2 degree difference would only move the top just over 0.34" on a camber plate. If the spindle is say 8" long, (I didn't measure this) moving the tube 2 degrees wiggles the spindle 0.13"

Line those strut tubes up evenly laying on a table, standing them on their bases isn't accurate.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
broke

Post by broke »

icehouse wrote: 04 Jan 2022 15:49
broke wrote: 03 Jan 2022 22:31
Dang now I want to go back and double check my zx struts. They are all on cars though.... Here the ZX had 3 version. Power steering, power assist and manual. Did you guys get all 3? The full power was a steering box, assist was a power rack and manual was a manual rack.
I'm relatively ignorant about S130's, but my friend who's had many says there were powered and unpowered racks but the difference is in the steering knuckles. I seem to remember him saying he had one witb a powered steering box too. I briefly considered that maybe Jap market Fairlady ZX's imported might be different, but most of the camber angle change complaints I see online seem to be from Americans, Canadians and Aussies who would be extremely unlikely to have Fairlady parts.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
broke

Post by broke »

datzenmike wrote: 04 Jan 2022 13:51 Measuring the bottom where the steering knuckle and ball joint join makes some bad assumptions.
If you go back and look at my other posts here you'll see that I've already addressed that.

The true angle is the strut tube to the spindle.
I already knew that, also Earth orbits the Sun.

Now send me some free strut tubes or pipe down.
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Not going to pipe down, I want to know. If not 10 degrees or if they are all different it's important to know.

img]https://i.imgur.com/jYNq4kf.jpg[/img]

So what is this angle between the tube and the spindle? Is it the same for all those struts?

This is meaningless. The base may be crooked.
broke

Post by broke »

datzenmike wrote: 07 Jan 2022 18:55 Not going to pipe down, I want to know. If not 10 degrees or if they are all different it's important to know.

img]https://i.imgur.com/jYNq4kf.jpg[/img]

So what is this angle between the tube and the spindle? Is it the same for all those struts?

This is meaningless. The base may be crooked.

I've already told you, all the information you need has been presented. Several other people have already figured it out, I suggest going back and reading it.

Alternatively you could fly here with some free strut tubes and I'll see if beating the answer into you helps.
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I did and don't see any measurements or numbers just claims they are different. I say they are all 10 degrees and see nothing in your methodology to prove otherwise to change my mind. If I can't see it then simply telling me twice to re-read your post isn't helpful.
broke

Post by broke »

datzenmike wrote: 07 Jan 2022 21:04 I did and don't see what plenty of other people can.
Sounds like a you problem, sunshine. :roll:
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Miss quoting me is sad. I simply asked for some clarity. Well the take away now is that you made some claims about strut angles that aren't backed up and it's up to me to prove you right??????
broke

Post by broke »

datzenmike wrote: 08 Jan 2022 07:28 Miss quoting me is sad. I simply asked for some clarity. Well the take away now is that you made some claims about strut angles that aren't backed up and it's up to me to prove you right??????
It's called paraphrasing. You also talked a lot of irrelevant shite, told me I was wrong, and are now claiming that I didn't take and measurements or provide evidence; despite the abundance of both presented, as well as being a dickhead in general. So I don't feel too bad about being one back.

Tell you what big boy, I'll make you a deal. You go back and delete all your posts in this thread, and make another one asking politely (using the word "please") for more clarification, and not only I will delete all my responses to you (including this one) and post evidence so clear and convincing that you couldn't possibly not see what I'm seeing is different.

This is the best deal in the history of trade deals, trust me.
-McWicked
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Wrong yet again. Paraphrasing allows the use of more accurate or clearer words to express the same meaning, it does not allow changing the meaning of someone's text. You miss quoted me to be miss leading and that is still... sad.

I've been nothing but polite to you. I asked for clarification what? 3-4 times now and get the run around and rudely told to 'pipe down' and called 'sunshine', 'big boy' and 'a dickhead'. The relation of strut tube to spindle angle is 10 degrees for the 280zx and the 510 and other than the S30, all Datsuns are I believe, which is why the 280zx swap is so popular in the 610, 710, A10, S10, S110, 1200, B-210 and 210. Nowhere do you mention the 10 degree angle or what you measured that were different. You have proven nothing about your strut angles by using a protractor or any angular measuring device. I'm not the only poster that says you are wrong, in fact no one has agreed with you.

BTW the 510 and the very earliest 610 uses a smaller front wheel bearing and grease seal on the spindle where all later Datsuns (including the 280zx) use a larger one.

I won't be deleting anything. Not a chance. On the contrary it can stay here forever for anyone to read and I hope your posts do too. If you could post evidence so 'clear and convincing' you would have done so on the first page.

Here are my '81 S130 struts with new pads calipers and rotors that the owner replaced and then let the car sit for 5 years. I won't be sending them to you.