Am I in over my head? '70 2 door from scratch

View and post your 510 project(s)
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: Am I in over my head? '70 2 door from scratch

Post by ostaylor »

Interesting... not sure if I have the vapour tank or not. I'll have to look it up in the manual to see what it looks like and where it is mounted.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You can see the black vapor tank above my fuel tank, it is below the package shelf. It weighs nothing so
it was perfect for the fuel venting.
Attachments
vapour tank
vapour tank
the whole system.JPG (133.06 KiB) Viewed 827 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

A bit of a rambling update which won't cover everything I have been tinkering away at, but will give you some sense of it. My strategy has evolved from methodical to working on things until I run into an issue, stepping away, focus on something else and then go back to the issue. It seems like almost nothing gets the "one and done" treatment on this build...

I posted previously about the rear quarter windows. Replacing the frame rubber for the glass is a major PITA... At this point, I have probably spent 8 to 10 hours on this and I have one fully assembled and still with a small gap. I am hoping I can improve these a little more before installation. I'm going to wait until my glass guy comes to install the front and rear windshields to see if he has any additional tricks... The second quarter window has gone back to it's quiet place as it will probably be another hour or two of work and I don't want to force it and damage anything.
Rear qtr window - pretty good.jpg
Rear qtr window - pretty good.jpg (281.67 KiB) Viewed 794 times
When I started assembling the front suspension, I realized the the T3 struts that I bought must have assumed you already had your own 280zx struts as there are no dust covers included. So I found a really nice pair on the BC Datsun Facebook page. In the process of getting these, I thought I would also need the brake rotor wheel nuts and castle / crown things, which he also had. Of course, right after he shipped all of that, I found the nuts that came with my T3 front rotors / brake setup...
280zx dust covers.jpg
280zx dust covers.jpg (164.81 KiB) Viewed 794 times
However, the T3 brake setup that I ordered apparently has slightly larger discs than the original 280zx ones, so when I installed them, they would not fit and rubbed excessively on the dust shields. Not sure if I can source larger ones - the installation instructions from T3 seems to indicate that I just go without them.
Front rotor installed.jpg
Front rotor installed.jpg (200.79 KiB) Viewed 794 times
I have run into two fitment issues between my Apex Engineered setup and my T3 brake and suspension parts...

When I went to install the brake calipers, the mounting bracket from T3 hits part of the Apex setup that comes off of the bottom of the front strut. I spoke to Apex about this and they think that they need to send me replacement arms that are intended for the 280zx struts, rather than 510 ones that were in the package I ordered from them. They are going to send me a mock up to confirm that this will solve the problem.
Apex - T3 brake caliper mount.jpg
Apex - T3 brake caliper mount.jpg (131.32 KiB) Viewed 794 times
The second issue is that the rear coilover mount diameter on the Apex Engineered trailing arm is 18mm versus the original 510 rear trailing arm mount which is 16mm. Needless to say, that 2mm is pretty important in the bushing mount. I am going to either modify or see if I can replace the bushing with the same outer diameter but larger inner diameter.
Apex - rear coilover mount.jpg
Apex - rear coilover mount.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 794 times
I noticed a posting on one of the Facebook 510 Groups from a guy building a racecar and had tinted door glass and door panel rails that he would not be needing. I knew that I needed door panel rails (I'm pretty sure the ones that came with my car are for a four door) and was intrigued by the tinted glass, which I didn't really need but liked the idea of. He was very responsive to get me a shipping quote and was also very fair on the pricing, which is always a nice surprise given how hard it is to find good, original parts. What was really amazing was the great job he did crating the glass and rails. I've honestly never seen something so skillfully packaged so of course it arrived in perfect condition.
Side tinted glass packaged.jpg
Side tinted glass packaged.jpg (326.27 KiB) Viewed 794 times
The rails had a little surface rust on them, but nothing that a wire wheel, primer and paint wouldn't take care of...
Door panel rails need wire brushing and paint.jpg
Door panel rails need wire brushing and paint.jpg (344.15 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Door panel rails primed.jpg
Door panel rails primed.jpg (271.22 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Door panel rails finished.jpg
Door panel rails finished.jpg (333.92 KiB) Viewed 794 times
And finally... every once in a while, I do something that just makes me feel like I am making progress. I am so happy with my 69 front and rear side marker lights so I decided to install the rears. I've got too much work to do around the engine bay to install the front, but these are pretty safe and kinda warm my heart...
Rear side marker light installed.jpg
Rear side marker light installed.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

I certainly hope Apex takes your feedback seriously. These issues you are finding are things that need to be stated about their product up front.

I can understand the interference with the caliper mount since the T3 brakes are different than stock, but the rear shock lower mount dimensional difference going unmentioned is an oversight. I wonder is 18mm is a more common size on modern dampers. I'll be curious to see how the 280ZX steering arms differ in their execution.

If you have the T3 Micro big brake kit, I believe that uses 300ZX non-turbo front rotors which are slightly larger than 280ZX (just a guess/conclusion based on what I have seen of these parts myself). They don't provide that information on the website themselves, but maybe would tell you for replacement parts if asked.

What stud thread pitch do their hubs use? Still 12x1.25?
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

They sent me a 1:1 drawing of the part to check fitment and it looks like this will solve the problem...
Apex 280zx Part.jpg
Apex 280zx Part.jpg (185.33 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Not sure what the thread pitch is as I don't have the original struts or wheel nuts, but I expect they will be the same. I'll check them.

Also got my vapour tank installed and took out my trunk torsion bars to paint them black. Not sure why my painter left them in (other than the fact they are a PITA to remove / install).
Vapour tank mounted.jpg
Vapour tank mounted.jpg (260.3 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Chipping away at installing all of my rubber seals. Some of them are pretty tricky to get them in correctly. Only have the trunk, rear bumper and back of the hood done so far. Hope to get the doors done today.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I did a post on the door seals if that is any help!

https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.p ... ol#p143811
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Thanks Keith - I remember that post and had searched it in prep for the installation of the door rubber. Went well, will post an update soon.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

iceman510 wrote: 13 Nov 2023 04:56 If you have the T3 Micro big brake kit, I believe that uses 300ZX non-turbo front rotors which are slightly larger than 280ZX (just a guess/conclusion based on what I have seen of these parts myself). They don't provide that information on the website themselves, but maybe would tell you for replacement parts if asked.

What stud thread pitch do their hubs use? Still 12x1.25?
Got this from the T3 website from the description of the hubs:
Bolt pattern on the is 4x114.3 (4x4.5") Factory Datsun 510 Pattern.
Comes with grade 10.9 bolt studs in factory 12x1.25 thread pitch.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I sourced a couple of cans of Zero Rust paint which I'll use for the backs of my bumpers and some touchups under the car as and when needed.

I prepped the bumper with painters tape.
Bumper prepped for paint.jpg
Bumper prepped for paint.jpg (253.63 KiB) Viewed 691 times
And then put on three coats of the Zero Rust. This picture was after two coats.
Bumper Zero Rust.jpg
Bumper Zero Rust.jpg (177.59 KiB) Viewed 691 times
It looks great installed!
Bumper installed.jpg
Bumper installed.jpg (198.03 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Also sourced the gas filler tube which was the final piece I needed to finish the gas and vapour tanks installation. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Just need to wire the Tanks fuel pump that I installed and run the fuel lines.
Gas and vapour tanks installed.jpg
Gas and vapour tanks installed.jpg (308.43 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I was pretty happy with the Zero Rust on the rear bumper so off I went with getting the front bumper prepped...
Front Bumper prep.jpg
Front Bumper prep.jpg (300.49 KiB) Viewed 667 times
And the finished product...
Front bumper finished.jpg
Front bumper finished.jpg (228.1 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Ok, have to admit that despite great instructions available here, my door seals took me several attempts. Oh well, happy with the end result.
Door weather seal finally in.jpg
Door weather seal finally in.jpg (195.31 KiB) Viewed 667 times
I really like the Zero Rust product and decided that my unobtainium 69 front marker lights deserved to be protected as well...
69 front side marker light front.jpg
69 front side marker light front.jpg (267.02 KiB) Viewed 667 times
69 front side marker light rear prep.jpg
69 front side marker light rear prep.jpg (406.81 KiB) Viewed 667 times
and after the Zero Rust was applied
69 front side marker lights zero rust.jpg
69 front side marker lights zero rust.jpg (320.86 KiB) Viewed 667 times
And installed! I love these!
69 front side marker lights installed.jpg
69 front side marker lights installed.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

With your steering arm issue. Why not just swap struts side to side? Put the calipers on the rear instead of the front or visa versa?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

icehouse wrote: 21 Nov 2023 12:27 With your steering arm issue. Why not just swap struts side to side? Put the calipers on the rear instead of the front or visa versa?
Did not think of trying that or know it was an option, but makes sense (I think). Not sure if that has any impact on anything??? The new arms are on their way so I'll probably just stick with the plan but interested in whether that would have been a workable solution.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

ostaylor wrote: 22 Nov 2023 06:48
icehouse wrote: 21 Nov 2023 12:27 With your steering arm issue. Why not just swap struts side to side? Put the calipers on the rear instead of the front or visa versa?
Did not think of trying that or know it was an option, but makes sense (I think). Not sure if that has any impact on anything??? The new arms are on their way so I'll probably just stick with the plan but interested in whether that would have been a workable solution.
We have S12 V6 Struts backwards to how they came on our 510 racecar. I didn't even notice till someone pointed it out. haha.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I ordered Nissan Solex lock set from eBay and got them installed on the doors.

The doors do require some filing to get everything to fit properly. I followed a post here on the Realm and another one over on Ratsun.net for guidance.

Here is the lock hole in post painting form on the passenger side door...
Door lock 1.jpg
Door lock 1.jpg (127.39 KiB) Viewed 585 times
I put the Solex lockset in and marked the areas needing filing with a sharpie.
Door lock 2.jpg
Door lock 2.jpg (162.25 KiB) Viewed 585 times
I took it slow on the filing and only took away just enough to get the lock to fit.
Door Lock prepped.jpg
Door Lock prepped.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 585 times
And here is the final product. I considered taking the black Solex emblems off of the locks, but I am worried about screwing them up and once they are installed, they don't actually stand out as much as they appear to in these (and other thread) photos. The quality of these locks seem very good, especially compared to the originals.
Door lock installed.jpg
Door lock installed.jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 585 times
The lockset that I bought came with 3 locks. I tried to modify the third one to fit the trunk, but it is too long and won't fit. I'm going to modify one of the ZCarDepot door lock cylinders for this and will also likely do the same for the gas cap.

I also installed my Silvermine power steering column and the pedal housing / frame.
Silvermine Steeting Colum and Pedal frame installed.jpg
Silvermine Steeting Colum and Pedal frame installed.jpg (257.09 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I am continuing to make some progress. Of course not in the order I planned, but progress is progress.

I loosely fit the headliner. I know this is the easy part but at least it is in and the bows fit. Once it settles a bit, I can start steaming, pulling, clamping, stretching, swearing, etc. Found out that apparently all 510s had an off white headliner. None of them were black, but that is what I went with and I think it will look great!
Headliner Installed.jpg
Headliner Installed.jpg (163.24 KiB) Viewed 532 times
I got the pedals installed. they look great with the powder coating and will be good for another 50 years I hope! Hard to get the brake spring on properly but everything came together.
Pedals Installed.jpg
Pedals Installed.jpg (308.32 KiB) Viewed 532 times
When I went to install my hood release, I realized it was for a right hand drive 510. Apparently someone has been making replacements for the RHD cars, but the LHD ones are no longer available... I had thought about mounting the handle horizontally, but decided to MacGyver this one and the old one (thankfully I still had it) and I am really pleased with the result.
Hood release rebuilt.jpg
Hood release rebuilt.jpg (303.6 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI