Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
510rob

Re: Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Post by 510rob »

Double-bump for a Progress Report!!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote: 10 Mar 2022 12:16 Double-bump for a Progress Report!!!
Got the adapter figured out. Had a custom clutch made for 300 bucks.... They used a FWD Nissan Spline instead of RWD. I'm machining a thicker spacer due to theirs being trash and not holding the disk concentric with the splines. I need to machine the adapter as we only 3D printed it to verify things. Intake is sorted, belt is sorted. Then I talked to Sam about the K23........ Now I want one of those haha.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Post by 510rob »

moving goalposts
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote: 10 Mar 2022 23:39 moving goalposts

That's a common theme with me haha. I'm trying to fucus on my tan car because it's my fav. but when the weather gets nicer I may try and get the other old 510 racecar closer.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Jeff and I had the conversation over the weekend about the lack of "suitable" motors to put in the 510s. I'm old enough to know when the FJ motor was the hot-swap ticket, superseded by the rotary for a short while - long before the SR20 was even some engineer's dream.
- I would agree the SR train has dried up and never came to these shores in the form we wanted in the first place.
- The KA swap - which was the most reasonable ever swap to FI - are completely gone. It seems easier to find a 50 year old L motor than it is to find a 25-year-old KA twin cam!

For some reason, I have been informed the Honda motors spun in the incorrect direction for the Nissan trans to work. But that the S2000 version was special in that it spun the correct direction. To me, this seemed like an odd thing and a decision that no Japanese maker would do, and I'm sure all Honda K motors turned in the same direction. Having no knowledge of this, you all could likely enlighten me.

Anyways, as Jeff and I discussed - even the K motors, as plentiful as they are, as still not that new or current. They are just new-er...

Looking forward to your updates, Jeff. Keep 'em alive and coming :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The K spins the correct way, also has a timing chain. The K24A2 is what everyone wants. 2004-2008 I think. Stock boosted it's good for up to 600hp without any mods. Blows my mind it can handle that kinda power. The fastest car up Pikes Peak that wasn't factory backed ran a K20 that makes 600whp. I think the best thing about the K is they still use it. So there are probably good versions that haven't been cracked to run standalone. Also they are lighter then a L series. Honda is so good at making small parts that last. The starter is a baby. Not sure when I will get back to work on ours. Lots of datto projects that are more fun in the works.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Personally, if my KA24e doesn't smarten up in the next couple of months I'm STRONGLY entertaining the 2.5 Duratec w/Miata 5 speed. So a motor & tranny combination which, IMO, 510s need both of in the coming years.
  • 170hp & 170ft/lbs stock, and easily hits 200hp @ crank with cams and header.
  • Low mileage Ford Fusion blocks can be purchased for $350-400 CAD, tranny is $800'ish. Several really good ITB turn-key setups too.
  • Added bonus is that it's at least 75lbs lighter than KA24e.
  • Exhaust header is on the passenger side give more room for R&P setups etc...
  • Miata 5 speed is pretty close in size to the FS5W71B, I believe they're both from the Aisin family
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
indy510

Post by indy510 »

It's nice to hear the 2013 Ford Fusion 2.5L engine is lighter. I have a hacked up 2006 Miata with a stock 2.0L and 6-speed. A Ford Fusion 2.5L swap is really common in these, because they're both MZR engines. But there is a huge list of parts you need from the Miata engine: oil pan and pick-up tube, front cover and crank pulley, valve cover and VVT sensor, coil-packs, intake manifold, flywheel, clutch, starter, the whole Miata wiring harness, and a tune on the Miata ECU. I imagine you could just use the Ford Fusion wiring and a standalone ECU, because these newer Miatas (and their parts) are still expensive.

The Miata wiring is also way too complicated. The gauge cluster, ECU, ignition switch and key are all programmed to each other with an immobilizer system. The ABS wheel-speed sensors are the only thing feeding the speedometer; the CAN-BUS and fly-by-wire systems really made me miss the simplicity of KA24DE wiring, but it's running in this photo:

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I would bet it's not lighter complete running in a car. Everything about the Honda engine is so small and light. Like the starter. It's such a baby.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

We raced our trusty SR 510 a few weeks ago. Dang, this year we were the slowest car on the straightaway. So we dug the Honda motor project back out. Carter bought a K to KA trans adapter kit. We cut the crossmember out of this 510, someone welded 200sx crossmember in it.... We then got our motor sitting where we think it has to go. It's a little off the firewall but 3/4" is because the adapter and the trans is in the same spot as it sits in with the SR. If we go back we would have to change our DL which we have 2 of, so not a option. Also going back will make the giant oil pump with balance shafts hit the modified rack and pinion crossmember. Most guys delete the balance shafts but we are keeping them. 8 hours is a long time for things to rattle apart. The motor looks so small compared to the SR.

gooned

Post by gooned »

Very interesting!

What trans are you adapting to?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

gooned wrote: 17 May 2023 20:11 Very interesting!

We already have a pile of 71c's and since the drive line is setup for one we are keeping it. Plus we tried a low geared 6 speed and it was to much shifting. It's crazy how even though it's faster the shifts can cost lap time. We like a perfect geared 5 speed best. Plus downshifting upsets the car and makes it harder in a critical corner at our favorite track. 4.44 gears and a 71c was perfect.

Have you been working on your K swap?
gooned

Post by gooned »

icehouse wrote: 18 May 2023 12:59
gooned wrote: 17 May 2023 20:11 Very interesting!

We already have a pile of 71c's and since the drive line is setup for one we are keeping it. Plus we tried a low geared 6 speed and it was to much shifting. It's crazy how even though it's faster the shifts can cost lap time. We like a perfect geared 5 speed best. Plus downshifting upsets the car and makes it harder in a critical corner at our favorite track. 4.44 gears and a 71c was perfect.

Have you been working on your K swap?
I’m not working on much, the Colt is staying LZ24 powered, “just” needs a transmission that’ll live behind it.

However it is not a current project, need my FJ55 off the lift before I can think about racecar.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Closer to a test fire. Oil pan fitting needs welded, prototype motor mounts are in. S2K exhaust and intake are mocked up. So much work compared to a SR haha.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Pick and Pull had a 1/2 off sale this weekend so me and Paul went and picked up some K parts. Surprisingly They only had 1 up north at the yard near Pauls place but a bunch at the local to me yard so Monday I went with Datwifey. Grabbed some extra valve covers to modify for hood clearance. I think if we moved the engine back more the issue wouldn't be as bad but in the race car it has to stay where it is. We don't want to change the trans mount or DL. The swap me and Paul do we are going to swap to the 2.0L pump and go way back! Hopefully this weekend I can get the valve covers welded, oil pan and exhaust manifold.