Electric radiator fan

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Rally n’ Dino’s

Electric radiator fan

Post by Rally n’ Dino’s »

So my car has been over heating, granted it’s been super hot this year I opted to upgrade my cooling system. I picked up a koyorad aluminum radiator, new hoses and was trying to replace my fan which is cracked to hell but looks like that’s not happening. So I’m looking at an electric fan. I don’t know much about them except what I’ve read over the last few hours online. The koyorad surface area is about 11”x 19”. Wondering if I should pick up a 10” fan or two 8” fans? Should I be worried about amps with these little fans? I have read some about relays and whatnot, I figured I could pick up one of these kits and figure it out. Does anyone have any experience with something like this: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52130K/10002/-1
Sorry for the newb questions but I haven’t gotten into my cooling yet but I plan on knowing it soon enough, any advise from someone who has done this or even info on fans you used is greatly appreciated!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Electric radiator fan

Post by bertvorgon »

Keeping our 510's cool is one of the hardest things we have to do.

I have attached two links for you to look at, maybe help with some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27964&hilit=radiato ... ert+vorgon

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9032&hilit=radiator+shroud+project

Making sure the air HAS to go through the rad is very important, hence sealing the rad around the opening. Building a "shroud" out front of the rad is just a bonus round for air flow too.

I personally use a MANUAL switch to turn my fans on, I want to be able to ANTICIPATE a situation ahead of me and be able to be proactive in getting the fan(s) on, so I can keep the engine at it's operating temp and not increase due to traffic light stop, heavy traffic, etc.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Rally n’ Dino’s

Re: Electric radiator fan

Post by Rally n’ Dino’s »

Awesome info, thanks! Gonna look into making better shrouding. Found a original replacement fan so I’m gold!