L13 Carb accelerator pump question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Nerius

L13 Carb accelerator pump question

Post by Nerius »

Hi all,

My L13 carb has accelerator pump issues. I can't seem to find parts for this (or I'm not looking in the right places). And to be honest, I don't want to spend too much time on this as I will switch to an L18 EFI setup eventually. Now my carburetor knowledge is just very little and I was thinking to maybe put the carburetor of the L18 on the L13 block. Now a voice in the back of my head is telling me that that would not just simply work. Or would it?
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
https://www.instagram.com/dutchydatsun510/
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: L13 Carb accelerator pump question

Post by datzenmike »

Bolt pattern is likely the same, try it.

The '68' and '69 521 J13 carburetor used the exact same pump plunger.

If you have an L18 Hitachi carburetor borrow the accelerator pump and try it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

My L13 carb looks pretty much identical to a standard L16 carb, but the throttle bore sizes I believe were smaller.
I had a local guy rejet my L13 carb, as it was a bit lean on the primary (often stumbled on accelerating) and actually a bit rich on the secondary. Turns out the jets were identical to a type of solex jet, and were easily changed.
Back to your question, ordering a carb kit for an L16 carb should give you the parts you need for your accelerator pump.
But the rest of the gaskets in the kit may not work, as the carb is a bit smaller. I have not had my carb apart myself, and have not completed a side by side comparison of the two.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

Thanks gentlemen, I'll get a carb kit. They don't seem to be very expensive.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
https://www.instagram.com/dutchydatsun510/