What do we actually know about Semi trailing arms???

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
icehouse

What do we actually know about Semi trailing arms???

Post by icehouse »

I was arguing with some of the oldschool guys on Facebook, Kelvin pipped up with his car that had the "Penultimate" rear crossmember. He raised the crossmember to some crazy height in his tube frame car. Which to me was odd. I would have put Miata suspension or something good back there before putting the stock stuff back in. Never the less, I couldn't remember how the roll center works with semi trailing arms. It looks like it's not ride height dependent, it's calculated using the rear swing arm pivots point angles. Yes a super low car will have really bad squat when accelerating. So for fun I thought I would scan the rear suspension and make a model out of it so see what exactly happens.

So guys what do we really know? Looking up pictures of how the roll center works it's hard to see exactly what happens since the sketches are always with level arms...... Is it just squat that makes are cars feel odd in the back when they get super low?

Yes my model is crude, maybe later I will clean it up.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: What do we actually know about Semi trailing arms???

Post by bertvorgon »

What has the rear toe done when super lowered, then accelerate, which then increases toe change yet again?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote: 26 Feb 2021 07:35 What has the rear toe done when super lowered, then accelerate, which then increases toe change yet again?
Then we fix it by moving the inner pivot point which changes things yet again. Can't wait to get a model working.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I thought you would do that.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The model will end up confirming what Fred Puhn wrote in his old suspension book - the rear trailing arms are squirrely and the best solution for a competition car is to lock them out with 10,000,000lbs/inch springs. :mrgreen:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

THAT...is just too funny...EXACTLY!!!

Between 1,100/inch/lb springs and limiting travel as much as possible.....and a TON of toe in.... :lol:

It was a grocery getter after all.

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Which is a good argument for a solid axle.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

I believe raising the semi-trailing arm pivots increases anti-squat. In defense of Kelvin, that car was built well before Miatas were recognized as the answer to every automotive question. Also, I'm pretty sure swapping in a Miata rear suspension would kicked him into the Modified class.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Tedman wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:07 I believe raising the semi-trailing arm pivots increases anti-squat. In defense of Kelvin, that car was built well before Miatas were recognized as the answer to every automotive question. Also, I'm pretty sure swapping in a Miata rear suspension would kicked him into the Modified class.
+1

That would put you into the same class as that guy up here who used to run a "Lotus Europa", which was actually a Formula Atlantic chassis with a built N/A Buick GN V6 (ie a F3000 engine) with the Lotus fiberglass body (or an even lighter weight replica body) lowered onto the thing to make it look like a 'car'. I'm sure Keith will remember that guy.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That car seemed to defy physics...I have NEVER seen a car that could change direction as SHARP and hard as that car, My God it was impressive to watch, driven by North America's fastest driver in that class!

His A-Mod car was even crazier to watch.

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Tedman wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:07 I believe raising the semi-trailing arm pivots increases anti-squat. In defense of Kelvin, that car was built well before Miatas were recognized as the answer to every automotive question. Also, I'm pretty sure swapping in a Miata rear suspension would kicked him into the Modified class.
Yeah it for sure changes anit-squat but lots was claimed to what else it does. I just want to check for myself.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. I know a lot of BMW guys have made semi-trailing arms work well, so why can't the Datsun do the same?

That being said, my ultimate dream would be to switch to a multi-link setup of some sort. I'm actually surprised no one has created a custom crossmember to mount something up using "standard" aftermarket parts for S chassis cars or something. Maybe there's no room. But this is off topic.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
510rob

Post by 510rob »

One of the guys on Ratsun narrowed the various components of an S13 rear subframe/suspension assembly and mounted it into a 510. Jeff H. saw that car so he knows it physically existed.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

It's been discussed on here before too.

Here's a 510 with a S body subframe

Image04_2524
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
510rob

Post by 510rob »

yes, I'm trying to remember the guy's user name. The car was orange, had an RB26, and a flip front end.