Stuck Clutch

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
bystickel
Supporter

Stuck Clutch

Post by bystickel »

My '72 wagon has a problem. The clutch does not disengage. It used to, but after sitting in a humid spot for a year or two, it doesn't.

I confirmed that the slave is working. I tried starting it with the clutch in and the brakes on, to see if it would break free. No.

Before I pull the trans, am I overlooking anything? It it reasonable to think that the clutch material could fuse to the flywheel?

Thanks!
Attachments
P1010681.JPG
P1010681.JPG (161.5 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1972 2-door, 4 door, wagon, wagon.
icehouse

Re: Stuck Clutch

Post by icehouse »

usually you can hold the clutch down and try and start it with the brakes on and it will free up. or start it in gear drive it around while engaging and disengaging the clutch and it will pop free.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Use the starter. If e brake won't hold, push car up against a solid masonry wall. Put in high gear hold clutch down, bump starter repeatedly.

Clutch disc is stuck to either the flywheel or the pressure plate.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Downeaster

Post by Downeaster »

First warm up your engine. one way that may work would have you jack up the rear of car (please use jack stands) and start in third gear. hold down clutch and get some wheel speed going with some on off brake application. If rusted clutch it should brake free. If not same thing can be done on a paved road IE third gear clutch in on and off the gas. Its all about high torque load with clutch in!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'd pull the rubber boot on the clutch arm and with a good flashlight have a look to make sure that just maybe some how the throw out bearings sleeve didn't fall of the end of the input shafts cover or that piece didn't break somehow.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bystickel
Supporter

Post by bystickel »

Update: It warmed up to 36 today, so I took the trans out. It just wasn't possible for me to drive the car, so I did it the old-fashioned way. It motivated me to make a trans attachment for my jack, so that's a good thing. And I found a $4 Dorman clutch alignment tool in town (#14501)

The clutch plate was stuck to the pressure plate. One whack with the dead-blow freed it. I used a red scuff to knock off the rust, and put it back together. Also dealt with the corrosion on the push rod for the throw-out lever, greasing it. Should be good to go for a long while.

Thanks again!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1972 2-door, 4 door, wagon, wagon.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I lightly grease (white lithium chassis grease) the throw out collar, the clips and contact points on the clutch arm and the collar, the pivot ball on the transmission and the dimple on the clutch arm where the push rod contacts. If you have the adjustable kind, that one too.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

bystickel wrote: 30 Oct 2020 12:53 My '72 wagon has a problem. The clutch does not disengage. It used to, but after sitting in a humid spot for a year or two, it doesn't.

I confirmed that the slave is working. I tried starting it with the clutch in and the brakes on, to see if it would break free. No.

Before I pull the trans, am I overlooking anything? It it reasonable to think that the clutch material could fuse to the flywheel?

Thanks!
Very nice Goon