How much sound deadening

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
iceman510

How much sound deadening

Post by iceman510 »

Hello all, looking to put some sound deadener like Dynamat or Fatmat in the car. I see kits of differing coverage, 18/36/50 Ft square. I don't intend to cover absolutely everything, but certainly the doors, roof some floor parts, wheel wells etc.

I would like suggestions on how much you may have used in your own installation. I could just measure and estimate, but hey where would the fun be in that? I will probably do that as well actually, but just looking for some outside input.

Thanks.
68 Wagon

Re: How much sound deadening

Post by 68 Wagon »

When I bought my 72 4 door, the guy who built the car had used Dynamat on the complete floors and up the firewalls too. It is heavy. My car with VG30e/ 5 sp and all heim joints coil overs, etc. weighs 2600 lbs. I should call her "Fatso". Handles well and is quiet though.

Scott
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
cambo
Supporter

Post by cambo »

This guy isn't selling material anymore but there is a lot of good information about sound deadening here. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Thanks. That site does have a wealth of info.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

FYI, I ended up using 3 18 ft^2 packs of this. Could have used more as I didn't cover absolutely every square inch in the interior. I did cover the roof and some of the trunk, mainly on the wheel wells.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I would spend the time covering everything. I couldn't find a way to do the doors or the roof but everything else in my 710 goon is covered with roll on roofing tar. It's dry, easy to cut, easy to fit. In problem areas you can warm with a propane torch and it forms to the shape it's pressed against and you can 'weld' pieces together. It's 3/16 to 1/4" thick and has a plastic skin on one side. Cost? zero. Got it for the asking. Roofing companies don't like to use part rolls. Course it's not $50 for 10 square feet but it works just as well.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
cartel

Post by cartel »

if the roof is headliner free its easily done-- heatgun and the roller-- same way to do the inside doors-- clean and dust free- quick wipe with gunwash or brakeclean and ready to do it
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie