Alternative rubber hydraulic parts source

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
Byron510

Alternative rubber hydraulic parts source

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Realm, I have a general topic regarding rubber components in hydraulic parts.
So we taking clutch master and slave and brake master and rear cylinders primarily.

Current my it seems all parts sources generally available (outside Nissan which I’m pretty sure are all NLA), all parts are now made in China, and the rubber used for seals is simply inferior and fail in a short period of time. This isn’t a new problem, many have been fighting this issue for 10 year or more. Companies like Dorman have always sourced the cheapest parts, Beck and Arney used to rebox Japanese parts, but have also switched to Chinese manufactured poor quality sources. I just sent both my Beck and Arney we spares I had on the self to help an old friend this weekend. It I took the clutch master apart first. The bore machining looks good, it’s assembled with a lubricant, it looks clean. It looks like a decent part. But like many that are the same, I don’t trust it given where it comes from and the very high track record of failures.

Im going to the Realm because this last weekend I revived calls for 2 separate 911’s, this time both involving clutch hydraulic parts that were recently changed - both master and slaves - within the last year. Silicone fluid was not used in either case, in case someone asks.

So specifically for clutch slave and master, and separately for brake master and rear cylinders, is there a good quality option available for OEM replacement, or is there another another option where we need to modify our cars to use a good quality source?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Re: Alternative rubber hydraulic parts source

Post by icehouse »

Have you tried getting a newer clutch master from Nissan and just swapping the guts into the old housing? Thankfully I have been able to use genuine parts on all my cars lately. I have had that issue in the past. I have the Willwood masters in my tan car. They've been working great for years. Only downside is the fitting is pipe thread....
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Jeff, which Wilwood master are you using that has a pipe thread fitting?!?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I recently replaced my slave and took apart to check for machining grit. The seal was like a contact lens, soft like RTV. I'm not impressed. Left the new and right the old one.

Rubber is what they used to use years ago and probably a synthetic rubber now. Unaffected by brake fluid or water. Except China that use the overly soft crap now.

When I put my 15/16" master in I got probably the last kit at NAPA. Its Repcon Melbourne Australia and they were solid 'rubber'

Most seals are like a washer with a hole in the center and a flange. It would be nice if someone made 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8 and 15/16" and 3/4 for the clutch master/slave.

I'm picking up an old zx 15/16" master for a spare. I'll take it apart and see.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I wonder if fluidseal here in Richmond could source the parts
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!