Run Beyond Hope 2020

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
MikeY

Re: Run Beyond Hope 2020

Post by MikeY »

Sorry I've hacked this thread. I went up Friday afternoon. Traffic was light from horseshoe Bay (at 8am) all the way. Not many cars to pass on the fun parts. And the few times I did get stuck and wait for a safe place to pass I got a chance to relax.
The way back today, Sunday, started at 3pm there was more traffic. And it was hot. I let the bikes pass. And from Whistler to horseshoe Bay traffic was brutal. I would not recommend. Wait for fall. But Duffy is a great stretch of road. The car ran well with some brake fade at the end today. I will really have to look into that. I could slow down a bit but it I had to stop, I don't think so. I have zx brakes. Time for fresh fluid. But maybe portafeild rs4 are worth a try. And in stop and go the engine got hot pretty quick. Both are familiar problems from before the recent restoration. I'm thinking electric fans. I could.drop the Temp a letter ( one side of P to the other.) by putting it in neutral and revving it a bit as I coasted. About an hour in bumper to bumper, squamish to brittiana beach.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is exactly why we stay away from that corridor now, just not fun sitting in crawling traffic. In listening to the traffic reports yesterday afternoon ( Sunday), it was a gong show on #1 also, out in that Sumas area, #7 shut down to a very bad accident and the Coke shutdown due to car fire.

I picked Saturday for the drive as it kind of misses the push back to Vancouver on Sunday afternoon....lets hope! On the way back we should stop in Hope and check the traffic report, so if we/I had to, we could bail and do the back roads.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Drove back to Summerland from the Island today. Left Horseshoe Bay just after 8am and had light traffic all the way through the city/ valley and the Coq.

Looking forward to meeting those who make the trip on Saturday. BBQ is ready. I will take a run through Green Mtn Rd/ Apex Mtn Rd this week and let you know if there are any surprises.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Here is the PLAN for Saturday's drive to visit Jeff in Summerland.

We will do a bit later start, meeting at the Hope Chevron as usual, with a LEAVE time of 7:00 AM from the station. No sense arriving at Jeff's place before breakfast even.

We will stop at the Princeton Chevron to fuel up, I know for me on this trip, as I do my fuel management, is that I want to run my tank out of the Octane boosted fuel on the way home.

We will then head to Keremeos and then up the highway, turning left at GREEN MOUNTAIN ROAD, which then winds some 50 KM, coming out almost at the North end of Penticton. We will fuel up again at the Chevron at the end of town, before heading up to Summerland, 17 km away. I will attempt to make it home on this tank of fuel.

From White Rock to Princeton it is approx 200 KM. I roughly calculated that it's about 370 KM (230 miles) from White Rock to Penticton Chevron, so a round trip of about 740 KM ( 460 miles).

I have talked to Jeff and he would appreciate that we practice some Covid protocol, bring a picnic lunch to have in his driveway. He has lots of space, so bring your lawn chair if you can. He has offered his barbecue, but, I think that we should not require that. He has a downstairs suite, so a washroom will be available. I know I am still keeping my "bubble" close to family, and, with the up-tick we are seeing, I personally need to still be careful, as I have an issue I need to be wise to.

We can bench race, oh and ah Jeff's 510, sit in the sun, then head back after say a few hours or so. As long as the Green Mountain Road presented no issues, we will head back that way too.

I'm looking forward to a low key, scenic drive, if we luck out on some clear, windy stretch's, so be it! Pretty much this whole drive has lots of safe passing zones so we should not be held up too much.
Attachments
Princeton to Penticton to Summerland
Princeton to Penticton to Summerland
Green Mountain Road.JPG (152.67 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Looking forward to meeting those who make the trip.

No need to bring food. I will have burgers and drinks for those who want them here. I couldn't really have you drive all this way to work on my car for the afternoon, then send you home without feeding you. :D There will also be cold nerve calming beverages for co-pilots.

If you have time and want a bit more local sight seeing, this route is beautiful. Lots of new pavement, twistys, great views and cool landscapes. OK Falls to Twin Lakes via Green Lake Rd/ Willowbrook Rd/ Twin Lakes Rd. Puts you back on Hwy 3A just up from Green Mountain Rd

The 11km up and back to Apex Mountain Resort from Green Mountain Rd is also really fun.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

I do not have a sense of who might be coming, but, if you want the address of Jeff's, just pop me a PM in case we get separated.

Yesterday I organized some tools, octane booster measured out, and, fueled the car up. I on occasion run my auxiliary fuel tank down so I have fresh fuel in there, I topped that up too.

As this trip is 90% highway, I put a COLD set of plugs ( BPR9ES ) in for the mountain climbs. It looks to be 27 C in Summerland tomorrow, perfect weather. It will be a warm drive back with Princeton to hit 28+ in the afternoon. Bring WATER!

Jonathan in the blue 260Z is going to convoy out with me I think, and, if Ron S. wants to watch for us on #1, we should be going by your entrance at 5:45 ish.
Attachments
Auxiliary fuel tank
Auxiliary fuel tank
IMGP5847 (Large).jpeg (380.34 KiB) Viewed 3290 times

Keith Law
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Ok Keith,Ethan and I will see you at McCallum exit.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just finished loading the car and pointing it out the door for a quiet roll out at 5:00 AM. I will be meeting Jon at 5:15 on 16th at the Chevron there in Hazelmere, then picking up Ron on #1 by 5:45. We should be in Hope by 6:30 ish and leave at 7 AM.

We can then decide if we want to rally up at the Lodge in Manning ( pee stop) or just press on straight to Princeton for fuel.

Keith & Matt
Jon
Byron & Naomi
Ron & Ethan
Mike
?

Keith Law
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Looks like a perfect day for a drive. Bring a pair of shorts. There are 2 great swimming beaches 2 minutes from my place.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Can you make sure the water temp is at least 37 C....I hate cold water......

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The Bronze is ready to roll - amazingly after 2 years it still runs fine. I put about 45 minutes on it tonight- then washed it. The fuel tank with just under half, I think the motor liked the fresh fuel.
Seems the gas gauge is t working, a casualty of sitting. It said I had 3/4 of a tank when I filled, as I took on 34 litres, obviously the gauge was wrong. I may throw in a Gerry can in the am. But we’re passing so many stations at regular intervals - it’s likely not necessary.

See you all in the am.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Wow, what a great day! Many thanks to Jeff as a wonderful host for our destination drive. To the point that I am going to move into his backyard for the rest of the summer! Great burgers.

I will post story and pictures later. Wow, was I tired last night upon getting back, we had some INTENSE sections of speed where my little yellow light was telling me some MAJOR NEWS, in 5th gear! I think the gentleman in the BMW thought he would leave us....

Thanks to all that came along, and to Matt S and family., for popping up to say hi, it was too bad that Jason L. did not make it.

My GPS showed 759 Km, or 472 miles for the day, our moving average, all things considered, was 90 KmH, one of our higher speed trips.

Stay tuned.

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

yes Keith that was a fun drive up, my brakes were not happy with the tight twisty's at the end thought. :wink:
truck was liking the drive back on the coke. the tank of gas from hope got me to clearbrook exit for a plash and go. still had 60k of range left but just to be safe. :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Good afternoon guys.

yes, Jeff it was great to meet you, and thank you for preparing lunch for us at 10 in the morning!
Your please is in such a beautiful spot - that Okanagan area is just gorgeous. i know why my sister lives just up the street, and why Matt left us :-)

The Drive:
The little leg stretch I lead dropping into Hope past the Allison summit was to hopefully leap frog in front of the few cars leading up to the last twistees that are there on the road. Even though the road was not heavily populated at that point - alas, there was a family cruising along in the SUV that spoiled my plan right before the section we'd have loved to be open.
But hey, what can you do. If you don't try... And I can't get mad at the general public for slowing down to half the speed limit to negotiate a corner, they have to drive where they are comfortable. We are the odd ones who cruise at the limit when the road is strait, and then turn up the wick when there's a corner!

The day was just awesome. And I'm happy that my daughter chose to spend the day with me - she too had a great time and says she can't wait for the next drive. I concur with Keith - my GPS stated a whopping 92 kmph average. Since most of the day had a posted limit of 100 or 110, and I too covered 750 kms - that average is pretty impressive. And I agree, it's the highest average to day fro any drive I've done.... with the group.
I'm afraid the Green Mtn return was epic for me. I am afraid I did get a bit ahead of the group on the return run – I had my daughters’ permission to drive a bit more spirited. Had only 2 bikes and 2 cars that I carefully, gracefully and curiously negotiated around - and I even got waves back from 3 of the four drivers when I did choose to pass them. Honestly, I do think its very important to be courteous to others. I'm mindful that I'm the odd guy out on a drive like this and I certainly don't want others to be thinking negatively of our car group in general. From the Apex Mtn Turnoff back to Hwy 3A, there was only oncoming traffic/ the mass group of waterwagon Porches was interesting – there had to be 30+ in about 5 groups. There may have been 40 of them in total. Like I said, impressive. I waved to nearly all – didn’t get a singe wave back….. nice! Maybe it would spoil their air-conditioned luxury…. The older couple in the convertible Chrysler (I think) both waved back.
Anyways – for that 34 km section, driven in both directions – as I said to Keith and Matt back at Princeton – was worth the price of admission for the day 😊
But all in all, it was a great day. The only “event” I has was while passing an F250 when behind the group coming back into Olalla, as I was going by, he decided to change lanes and move right over into my lane. In my car, you’d think he would have heard me. It’s not fast, but it is loud. Thankfully the air horns were louder. It wasn’t close, and since everyone reacted accordingly all was fine – but the potential was there. Big truck, small car – he may have missed me, or maybe didn’t look – not sure, but all ended well.
The Bronze however has a few things go sideways – nothing that stopped us thankfully. May it would have sucked to be wrenching on anything in yesterdays sun at 35 degrees!

-My mechanical water temp gauge failed – which is a first ever for me in any car. It happened around Headley. But the EFI temp gauge was working fine, and the oil temp and pressure gauge both told me all was good – so I pressed on.
-Dropping into Penticton, the idle was high – around 1500. Once the car cooled down after our break at Jeff’s, it was idling fine, but I noticed that when we stopped in Keremeos and Princeton, it was back at 1500 when hot. Back at the coast, it was 2000 when hot. It doesn’t appear to be throttle cable or stop related – maybe a vacuumed leak? Not sure, but I’ll have to look into it.
-I noticed that the alt would not charge at idle when arriving back at the coast but seamed to work fine (14v) above 2000 RPM…. Strange. Also, the belt started slipping when I left the park lights on at a dinner stop after leaving the group. I’ve wanted to make a larger under drive pully for the Alt for a while – now’s a good chance for that upgrade. I’m sure I am over speeding them….
-I have to get 12v back to the cigarette lighter… maybe just in the fuse box. Thanks, Ron, for the charge on my GPS battery at Jeff’s place 😊
-I sure could either get the trunk seal to actually seal – or seal off where the back seat should be – Naomi and I both smelt like exhaust when we got home. And there’s a good chance that the headaches I get on these long drives are not dehydration as I previously thought but could be CO related. Not so good, it should be ruled out.
-And of course, the engine is tired – and the reason why I have not driven it in 2 years. Sorry to all who had to breath in my smokey wake!

Bur bloody bloody hell – it was a fun day.
Thanks Keith for the kick in the butt and for finding the new piece of road.
Thanks, Jeff, for giving us a destination
Thanks to Jon, Ron and his nephew, and Matt for coming out for the day.
And Thank to Mike for joining us for the ride up in his truck - Great time.

Sorry I took very few photos, I hope the others have more to share.
Sunrise, going up the hope slide on the Hope -Princeton
Sunrise, going up the hope slide on the Hope -Princeton
IMG_3243 (Medium).JPG (119.37 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Short break on the return route where Green Mtn road connects with the 3A
Short break on the return route where Green Mtn road connects with the 3A
IMG_3246 (Medium).JPG (174.67 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Taking a break - she deserved it. Note the noise canceling headphones on my daughter, and the form fitted ear plugs. I'd like to go Norms route with the Peltor noise canceling units in the future.
Taking a break - she deserved it. Note the noise canceling headphones on my daughter, and the form fitted ear plugs. I'd like to go Norms route with the Peltor noise canceling units in the future.
IMG_3248 (Medium).JPG (80.33 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
My guess is that this is a '68 1000, but I have never seen a 4 dr sedan before in this body style. But the car was complete - cool find.
My guess is that this is a '68 1000, but I have never seen a 4 dr sedan before in this body style. But the car was complete - cool find.
IMG_3251 (Medium).JPG (252.65 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Neat Deluxe badge - had not seen this design before.
Neat Deluxe badge - had not seen this design before.
IMG_3252 (Medium).JPG (155.41 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Cool to just walk around a wrecking yard - here at the coast these just don't exist anymore - real estate is worth too much.
Cool to just walk around a wrecking yard - here at the coast these just don't exist anymore - real estate is worth too much.
IMG_3259 (Medium).JPG (212.59 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
IMG_3255 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3255 (Medium).JPG (256.33 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
This wagon was rough. Rockers weer gone (physically) so I suspect the floors would be as well. But the strut towers were good. Still be a hell of a resto...
This wagon was rough. Rockers weer gone (physically) so I suspect the floors would be as well. But the strut towers were good. Still be a hell of a resto...
IMG_3256 (Medium).JPG (270.22 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
return trip on the Hope Princeton, near Sunday Summit
return trip on the Hope Princeton, near Sunday Summit
IMG_3260 (Medium).JPG (103.86 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Impressive moving average, highest I think we've achieved.
Impressive moving average, highest I think we've achieved.
IMG_3350 (Medium).JPG (116.43 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I also had a GREAT time. That Green Mountain Road was so much fun! Ethan says he can’t wait to do it again.Many thanks to Jeff for having us and his funny story of his neighbors theft. Thank you Keith for arranging the drive. Ethan and I were both beat last night when we got back. We had a much needed short break checking the progress on Richards wagon.It will be an awesome ride when he gets it done. A fun drive with a great bunch of guys as usual.