Dual 44mm Mikunis on a L20B question.

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
paul97

Dual 44mm Mikunis on a L20B question.

Post by paul97 »

I was wondering if you were running dual 40mm Mikunis on a stock L20B driven on the street would you have to run an electric fuel pump or will the stock one work fine?
demo243

Re: Dual 44mm Mikunis on a L20B question.

Post by demo243 »

You should have no problem with either. Many people running dual sidedrafts - weber and mikunis- using the stock fuel pump.

I ran a mechanical - dont think it was stock, but was never able to dig up any info on it - on my old L20b with hot cam and Mikuni 44s.

My guess is electronic fuel pump might deliver a more consistent feed of fuel... but also is one more thing to break or go wrong...

You would need to run a low pressure electronic pump and probably ideal to run a regulator to - Mikunis are pretty particular about fuel pressure - ideally between 3.5-4.5 psi. I am running the a Carter low pressure pump with a Holley low pressure regulator on my current Mikuni set up - Ive got an inline gauge in there too, mostly for setting the pressure initially, but now just to keep an eye on it.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You can certainly run either. I ran twin side drafts for years on stock type mechanical pumps in daily drivers.
If going mechanical, try to utilize the later L20B pumps from 78-80. These are higher volume - but not higher pressure. These pumps also seems to work better when high under hood temps weer causing problems with fuel boiling - a problem I had on one of may DD comunter cars years ago.
Also, if you can find a quality fuel pressure regulator and take the line pressure down to 2.5 to 3 spi - your needle and seats onthe carbs would love you for it.

Otherwise, you're good to go.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Thanks for the info everyone.