SR20VET

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: SR20VET

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Thats so sick!
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That’s great progress Jeff.
Now what is the next step?
Do the motor mounts work in a North/south RWD configuration? Are there differences on the front of the engine that make anything difficult? How about the I take and exhaust?
It’s great that you guys have made this progress. Be a great upgrade for the tow vehicle :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote: 22 Nov 2020 06:43 That’s great progress Jeff.
Now what is the next step?
Do the motor mounts work in a North/south RWD configuration? Are there differences on the front of the engine that make anything difficult? How about the I take and exhaust?
It’s great that you guys have made this progress. Be a great upgrade for the tow vehicle :-)

Byron
The RWD engine mounts will bolt on. Left side is missing one bolt but I think 3 is fine, or you can weld a washer into the mount. Since there's a boss that's the correct size one washer thickness away.

The RWD turbo exhaust manifold will bolt on. So that's easy.

We are working on the wiring now too. It's hard to get info on it. Hopefully, we get it sorted soon.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

Any updates?
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

No. Been working on other projects. Got my goon running yesterday. Also need more funding for this project. haha.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

68 Wagon wrote: 09 Mar 2021 12:35 Any updates?
O boy I'm close!!!

Got the RWD trans almost modified. Machined the 3/8" thickness of the adapter off the bell. I think it would have worked without it but I wanted maximum spline engagement on the clutch disk. I need to mount a slave cylinder and it's done! My disk came in today too! I "machined" the flywheel to, with a sharpening stone. It's ready for some clutch kicks.

Used a RWD exhaust manifold I got from my old buddy Spreadburry. He and some other pointed out the DE exhaust manifold doesn't line up with the VE exhaust ports. To me it looked close enough. Maybe not for the race engines he builds but it's good enough for my back yard builds.

Added the water return line like the S14/15

Gotta mod the drain.

Waist gate didn't work in the RWD layout. So I built a sweetgoogamoo new bracket.

Next I had to sort out the water lines. Which looked way harder than it ended up being. I just made a bracket to hold the thermostat housing and welded up some sort of manifold. The factory metal is not easy to tig weld. Luke told me to use stainless filler rod. It did help, actually a lot!!!

Here is the factory location on the back of the head.

So many hoses!!

The idea.

Welding fun....

Still looks like a mess.

Now it's looking close!!!

It's funny because at the beginning it looked like such a mess compared to a S chassis SR. Now it looks so much cleaner!!! Just those 2 170 degree hoses and the oil cooler hoses.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

nicely done
did a similar mod, bit mine is mounted lower due to an oil/water cooler on my block.mine does not look as neat though.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.