Toilet paper shortage!!

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Toilet paper shortage!!

Post by datzenmike »

Yesterday was so nice I biked 25k Courtenay, Cumberland and back home down the logging road. Then cut the lawn and lay in the sun. 5k walk this morning.

Last week put in a shelf and put the Sony up there where it doesn't break my neck to look at it. Years ago I built some bookshelf speakers but they were awkwardly placed so I didn't use them that much so... I moved them. Without covid I would have procrastinated forever. Found a way to feed audio from my computer to my NAD 3020A so prime sounds great now. Last summer I found a Sony powered sub for $6 at the Value Village with plans to use the speaker in my car, never got around to it..... now sounds even better!! (the Starbucks mug? a gift. I'll use any coffee in it BUT that over priced hipster crap)

Slowly working on my goon car seats. I fitted Subaru buckets into the front a couple of years ago. I knew they were electric but didn't know till I got them they are also leather and heated. Very comfortable on long trips when you're getting cramped. However the rear split fold down seats don't fit so I gave up on it. The two seat backs are about 3-4" too wide so I am trying to find a way to trim one of them where they meet the other. It's one of those jobs where you don't want to touch it till you are totally ready or you take short cuts a screw it up.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Everybody still hanging in there? Seems the physiological impact of this isolating is catching up with some people, lots of grumpy ones when I have made the odd run out.

Went to Steveston Marine Hardware in Langley yesterday to pick up some stainless fasteners for a couple of small projects. They have a GREAT selection if anybody is looking. Only one person in the store, NO cash transactions. That bugs me as I have been a cash guy my whole life.

Thanks to all that took bits and pieces of my collections of STUFF!

In all of that digging and literally getting to the bottom of things, I also was looking for my original photo albums, 2 of which held photos taken by the camera my dad gave me, a German Voigtlander camera, that he brought back from WW2 Germany. What I was looking for...to fill in a family history date...which seems to have gotten lost in the craziness of a move from Vancouver to Telegraph Cove for my family ( I stayed in Vancouver), was when did they move? As strange as that may sound, neither my brother or sister, nor myself, could actually fill in that time period.

As I was never a "family" picture type of person, I have always documented trips.

In the last tub I did find my two original albums with the 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" pictures, shot with the Voigtlander. In there, from the spring of 1971, were these 2 shots, one with my 1969 Datsun wagon in the back of the Hertz Moving van. I followed my family up in the moving van, taking some fragile things in the wagon, then, at Telegraph Cove, loaded my wagon in the back.

I had to stop every 30 miles or so to reposition the car, as the only road access back then was 100 miles of gravel logging road, which just shook things to hell, moving the car over. Then, I off loaded the car at a freight ramp just off Glover Road(we lived in Fort Langley), where a rental guy came and picked up the truck. The car was no worse for wear other than some burnished bumper ends.

By the time 1972 came along I had put 105,000 miles on the 69', I traded it in on a brand new 1972 Wagon, from BRASSO DATSUN.
Attachments
Me in moving truck spring (1971)_000217.jpg
Me in moving truck spring (1971)_000217.jpg (285.21 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
1969 Wagon in moving truck (1971)_000216.jpg
1969 Wagon in moving truck (1971)_000216.jpg (365.19 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

That’s pretty neat Keith, can you imagine trying to negotiate today’s traffic with a loose car in a box van...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Well, there will be a LOT of unhappy gun owners in Canada this morning, WOW. Scattershot legislation too. Good to know that my neighbour has to get rid of his RPG and M1 Tank though......

On a lighter note, one last blast to the past if you don't mind. In 1966 and 1967 of course, the rise of being your own person, free love and hit the road to find..... My love of the open road goes back a long ways, and in 1968 hit the road on a motorcycle, exploring parts of B.C., and, we did a road trip to Tacoma. This was a year before EASY RIDER hit the big screen in 1969. Then EVERYBODY hit the road.

Found these pics in my album, the colour one is in the Fraser, the B & W are on the road to Tacoma, we crashed out in a Park Picnic building. In the morning a Parks guy showed up and threw us "dirty" hippies out...we could not have been further from hippies at the time.
Attachments
Phil, Jim and I 1968 Tacoma_000191.jpg
Phil, Jim and I 1968 Tacoma_000191.jpg (422 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Phil outside of Tacoma, Wa.1968_000192.jpg
Phil outside of Tacoma, Wa.1968_000192.jpg (333.31 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Keith Fraser Canyon 1968_000187 (Large).jpg
Keith Fraser Canyon 1968_000187 (Large).jpg (285.91 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If TSHTF I'll 3D something.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Wow, Great photos Keith. About 17 years ago the last roommate I ever had threw out almost all of my old photos while I was at work. I have very few left now. Seeing yours makes me miss them. So many memories are lost to me without the photos. I killed too many brain cells over the years. The memory vault is more like a leaky memory boat now.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is a shame that happened! You must have been pissed.

Pictures are our PROOF of the past, as I have gone back with my brother and sister, to rebuild a time in our lives that was very chaotic. They truly are the time machine, and as is always mentioned here..."Pictures, or it did not happen!"

I DID help with the first killer whale transport..I DID help recover the crashed sea plane back in the Broughton Archipelago, I DID help with the rescue when the Queen of the North went aground off Port McNeill...I so wisely dated things in my albums, so I can pin point the time period. I had so many adventures when I worked on the tug GIKUMI, out of Telegraph Cove, I lived a life time from 1965 - 1968 as both summer jobs and then full time on the tug and in the saw mill.

Not to turn this into what Keith did....It is important that all of you out there, if you learn anything from my thread, write down your family history, listen to your parents, ask questions about their life, you might be amazed at what they did and went through.
Attachments
!st Killer Whale captured here._000208.jpg
!st Killer Whale captured here._000208.jpg (353.44 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Sea Plane we recovered on  back of the Gikumi._000207.jpg
Sea Plane we recovered on back of the Gikumi._000207.jpg (268.61 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Sea Plane we recovered back in the Archipeligo._000206.jpg
Sea Plane we recovered back in the Archipeligo._000206.jpg (343.23 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
My 1948 Austin in 1967 Richmond_000186 (Large).jpg
My 1948 Austin in 1967 Richmond_000186 (Large).jpg (213.33 KiB) Viewed 3533 times

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The gun laws that have been announced are certainly an interesting move by the current standing federal government. My interests in the proposed changes to the law are independent from my interested in the way the changes to the laws have been pushed forward...

The proposed changes were announced by PM Trudeau, simultaneous to the release of the proposal in May 1 2020 Canadian Gazette (The Document). Presumably this is all an Order in Council, but is something that never would have received assent via the traditional Statute approval process. That more rigorous process is to propose (changes to) an act(s), test those via debate and allow some back and forth to the proposal, then ultimately require the proposal to pass three readings in the House of Commons, then three readings in the Senate, then royal assent (via Governor General as Monarch's Representative).
Act (Statute) wrote:
Act (Statute), law passed by Parliament or a provincial legislature (see Provincial Government). A federal Act must pass 3 readings in the House of Commons and 3 readings in the Senate, and must receive royal assent. Assent is given by the Sovereign (rarely), or, in the sovereign's name, by the Governor General or (usually) his deputy (a judge of the Supreme Court Of Canada), in the Senate Chamber. A provincial Act must pass 3 readings in the legislature and receive the Lieutenant-Governor's assent. Royal assent has never been refused to a Dominion bill, but lieutenant-governors have refused assent 28 times, the last time in 1945. "

(https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... ct-statute)
Once a Statute or Act has been approved, it is made 'public information' by publishing it in the Canadian Gazette. The announcement yesterday was accompanied by a publication in the Canadian Gazette, but no discussion in House of Commons. The implication is then that the changes have been made via an Order in Council, which essentially bypasses debate and scrutinizing...
Order in Council wrote:
Order-in-council, at the federal level, is an order of the GOVERNOR GENERAL by and with the advice and consent of the Queen's PRIVY COUNCIL for Canada. In fact, it is formulated by CABINET or a committee of Cabinet and formally approved by the governor general. Some orders simply make appointments. About a third are legislative, forming part of the law and enforceable by the courts. Most legislative orders are made under authority expressly conferred by ACT of Parliament. With the expansion of state activity in recent decades (public ownership, state regulation of industry, social security), it has become impossible for Parliament to legislate directly and in detail to meet complex and varying problems, and more and more Acts are cast in general terms and empower the governor-in-council to make regulations to carry out the intent of the legislation.

Such regulations on, for example, unemployment insurance, fisheries and aeronautics, now form an enormous part of our law (see REGULATORY PROCESS). They are called "subordinate legislation" because they are made by the governor-in-council, subordinate to Parliament, and are subordinate to, and limited by, the Act which authorizes them. A few legislative orders are based on royal prerogative (the relatively small remainder of the SOVEREIGN's ancient lawmaking power) but are limited by the content of the particular prerogative which confers the power to make them (see ADMINISTRATIVE LAW). Provincial orders-in-council - orders of the lieutenant-governor-in-councils - are similar to federal ones.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... in-council
Democracy is a funny concept.

Also, anyone who previously owned and possessed any of the kinds of hardware mentioned in The Document will be allowed to keep that hardware via a grandfathering of that hardware to them. So, what did this law change? It now bans the sale and trade of new hardware. A similar system has existed in Canada for 25 years, since the last OIC the pushed through to ban other things at the time.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

For what it is worth, here is what was published in the Canada Gazette, with all the weapons...

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... rt-II.html

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hope everyone is doing well as we head into the "NEW NORMAL" whatever that may be. Sure affects the shopping experience, at least for the little I have done. To be a Plexiglas supplier you must think you have died and gone to heaven, what with EVERYTHING having a barrier. This morning they talked about a shortage already.

Right before I got fully involved in racing, my brother and I would do major trips, to explore the back roads of B.C., as much as we could do, in my 1972 510 wagon. This was right before he got his FJ Land Cruiser and we could really disappear into the back country.

He and I were taking about one trip we did, again rusty in our memories, where we went from being tic infested on the Fraser River at Big Bar, to hiking in Glacier National Park 2 days later, where we ran into a herd of elk. We remembered feeding them ginger snaps ( would not do that now)…..did I have pictures?

Those albums had been MIA for awhile and with all that I have been going through, finally found them. Sure enough, there were the pictures.

We had decided to hike up to a remote lake to fly fish, got majorly rained on, so, we headed back to vehicle where we found this small herd of elk milling around the car. They did not want to move. I enticed them by throwing some ginger snaps…BIG mistake…they liked those things! The cows came right up to us and my wagon. The bull sat in the bush watching, just crazy. I made a small pile and once they got away from the front of the wagon, we could finally drive away.

A few pages over in my album, and this is for Robyn, I came upon the owl pictures that my brother nursed back to health.

He was driving home from work one dusky evening in his Datsun 620 pickup when he heard a “whump” on his driver’s door and saw something hit the road behind him in his mirror. He turned around and went back, finding this little Screech owl on the road, seeming dead. My brother put him on the seat in the truck, thinking he would maybe stuff the little guy. As he was driving along, he heard a clicking sound in the cab. Turning on the dome light there was the little owl staring up at him, looking like he was going to try to fly…not a good scenario at 40 miles per hour in a truck cab. He quickly flung his jacket over the bird.

Over the next 2months, feeding the owl raw deer meat and liver, he finally thought that the owl was ready to take off. Whatever had been hurt had healed itself. He let the owl go one day in the lumber yard at Telegraph Cove, flying perfectly as it swooped over the lumber piles and disappeared into the forest.
Attachments
Kim's owl_000257 (Large).jpg
Kim's owl_000257 (Large).jpg (330.23 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Kim's owl 2_000258 (Large).jpg
Kim's owl 2_000258 (Large).jpg (310.59 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Kim & elk_000240 (Large).jpg
Kim & elk_000240 (Large).jpg (366.65 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Keith & elk_000241 (Large).jpg
Keith & elk_000241 (Large).jpg (400.51 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Feeding the elk_000243 (Large).jpg
Feeding the elk_000243 (Large).jpg (358 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Bull elk_000242 (Large).jpg
Bull elk_000242 (Large).jpg (447.33 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

great pics Keith
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

I loved the pic of the Datsun in the back of the truck. It reminded me (hmmm pic somewhere) of a buddy's Fox-bodied Mustang that decided to split the spider gear just outside of Vernon while on way to Knox. As the car wouldn't move on it's own and it was the long weekend, decided to load it up into a U-Haul truck. The truck steering box was very worn making just driving it a challenge, then add in the usual May long weekend snowstorm and the drive back to Edm was not exactly fun times...
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb

76 620 Full custom/resto-mod
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It's funny you mention the "usual" May long weekend snow storm. At least half the time I headed to or from Knox, we got hit with snow storms. One time was in a major blizzard in Manning Park heading to Knox.

Or....torrential rain storms. I followed Glen Fukui up one year, he driving his Tiger V-8. With no exaggeration, the foot wells in his car filled with water, it leaked so badly. We stopped at the rest stop outside of Merritt so he could drain the water and put on dry socks and his racing shoes, he was freezing after being wet for so long.

You obviously faced that going through the Rockies.

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

if it didn't rain on may long it would be the singe of the coming Apocalypse ...... I thought this year was going to be sunny
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, it was/is predicted to be that.

Talking to my brother the other day, at the North end of the Island, they came close to shutting down due to fire hazard in the forests there! Even last year the "fog zone" came under the same camp fire ban as we did.

My Dad for a number of years was the Fire Warden for Crown Zellerbach where each morning he would check his moisture content equipment, it was amazing how quickly the "fine fuel" on the forest floor could go from OK to RED ALERT. He had final decision if logging was to go on, or not, for a given day.

I am still waiting and timing my first drive in the 510, as these showers can come at anytime. Just waiting for a good few days for sun to be forecast.

Keith Law