What the hell is this stuff!

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Byron510

What the hell is this stuff!

Post by Byron510 »

Good think I'm not driving anywhere today.

It's a general Snow Day for the BC South Coast.

I got my wife off to work in the Xterra, that thing seems to be unstoppable. The tires are decent Michelin LT all seasons - lots of siping, but nothing awesome. I think the thing just has the right balance. And no electronic nannies and a 5 spd - so it's fun too!
2020-01-15 Xterra.jpg
2020-01-15 Xterra.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
I work from home so there no excuse for me. But Schools are all closed, and most just stayed home today.

But I took this photo of my wife's 521 Farm Truck...
2020 In the Snow (Medium).jpg
2020 In the Snow (Medium).jpg (128.33 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
the thing sits so high, it doesn't look deep on the ground. But the accumulation on the top panels seeks pretty much fro itself.

I live in a area where the best plows available are mounted under a dump truck - so the local capabilities are not so good for clearing snow. Best to just stay home and build snow forts with the kids :-)

I did take the '04 Armada out (to get some pills for the back pain after shoveling the driveway this morning!). Absolutely no fun at all - until you turn of the traction control (VDC). Then it's bearable - but still it's pretty much a 6500 lb toboggan! You're pretty much along for the ride. Highway is great however - super stable at 100 kms/h even pushing through 12" of snow. But here the Yoko winter tires are likely helping. But it sure isn;t stopping very fast, so you're looking waaaayyyy ahead!
2020-01-15 Snow..jpg
2020-01-15 Snow..jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Have fun out there guys and gals - be safe!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Re: What the hell is this stuff!

Post by icehouse »

We got around 7-8" total here. My D21 does great. I recently bought some mud tires so I won't get stuck at our property anymore. I was worried how well they would work in the snow. Turns out great!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Crazy wind and cold here too, -8 on my porch right now, but, it is the east wind that is just chilling things down here in White Rock. Ocean is whipped up to white caps and I see a high wind warning leveled to the point that they are already canceling ferries starting at 3 PM.

Not looking forward to this evening when it hits, my old house kinda leaks like a sieve when it is windy.

here are a few pics from this morning when I shoveled the sidewalk. Being retired is nice.....I do not have to go out in it, the traffic mayhem this morning was sad to watch as so many tried to drive with summer tires or all seasons, which are crap in this sort of stuff.
Attachments
Out my window (Large).jpeg
Out my window (Large).jpeg (387.26 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
IMGP5559 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5559 (Large).jpeg (368.94 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
IMGP5558 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5558 (Large).jpeg (355.9 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
IMGP5557 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5557 (Large).jpeg (536.87 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Out my window (Large).jpeg
Out my window (Large).jpeg (387.26 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
IMGP5559 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5559 (Large).jpeg (368.94 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
IMGP5558 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5558 (Large).jpeg (355.9 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
IMGP5557 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5557 (Large).jpeg (536.87 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sorry for the double pics.....can't seem to delete one set...stupid program
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

HPIM0420.jpg
HPIM0420.jpg (628.51 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
The attachment HPIM0424.jpg is no longer available
The attachment HPIM0421.jpg is no longer available
The attachment HPIM0420.jpg is no longer available
we got about 18 inches up here. fun times.
Last edited by butters68 on 15 Jan 2020 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just walked up into town. Once I got to the top of the hill the wind was brutal, reminded me of going to school in Edmonton, holy cow was that biting cold.

Hardly any streets clear here, really glad I don't have to drive.

I see they posted it could be hurricane force winds up Howe Sound tonight, that should be scary for the locals.

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Hey guys, yup I didn’t even start the truck, just logged in remote today, Josh did help me get the tractor started (ether) to get the plow berm knocked down after he cleaned out between the trucks...wind is picking up here now, looks like it’s gonna get ugly!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Nanaimo and south got hammered yesterday but not where I am north 100k. Got one inch overnight so biked to work but cancelled, and tomorrow so home and warm. Had the 710 warmed up on Sun and took the cookie sheet of salt in to bake dry in the oven. It was a watery paste. Really keeps the interior dry though.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

first winter in over a decade with out a 510 on the road. a few months ago I started getting ready for this. pulled the flat 4 out of the mighty Datsaru (90 loyale), did the head gaskets and valve seals, oil pan and pump. new belts and pullys but I should have sent the heads out and had the guides done.... shes using 1L per 400km. with the motor out I pulled out the push button 4wd trans out and swapped in a 5spd dual range from a 86 subaru GL. now i got fwd 4wd hi and 4wd Lo.
on sunday I left a buddy's house in the Clayton heights area and headed towards cloverdale. with every block the snow was less and less so when I hit 176st on the #10 I headed north and boy was it worth it! dodged spun out Germans and supper duties as I climbed the hill @ 84th . hit the perimeter road at the posted limit and gave her the beans pounding through the fresh powder. traction was almost too good with my snowflake 165 75r13s really had to be aggressive to get any kind of fun out of the 1.8lL. slowing down to a dead crawl I almost flashed my highs to pass the guys doing 20k in the middle of the road.... a few guys tried to pace me but quickly fell off,egos shrinking as their lights disappeared in the whiteout. many trucks and suvs in the ditch or in the meridian but the plucky 2200lb 4x4 subaru with its 4 wheel independent suspension and limited power didn't miss a beat. cant wait till the woman gets back from work so I can go for another rip before the rain starts.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!