2door all apart

View and post your 510 project(s)
edekalil

2door all apart

Post by edekalil »

Well I finally got one of my 510’s on the rotisserie I bought earlier this year. The car was taken apart in the late 90’s. Due to work and at some point having seizures the shell sat on jack stands till now.

I have all of what I need for the car to be built even back then 20 plus years ago. Motor all been to the machine shop and ready to be assembled. Well this year I bought the rotisserie to make it way easier to work on now that I’m older. It will be slow but I’m coming up on returning in about 4 years if the machines don’t put me out sooner so why not get back on the car. And my seizures are under control since 05 so why not get back on it with all the good info available on these sites like the realm. Anyway here I go.
edekalil

Re: 2door all apart

Post by edekalil »

Couple more pics of the car on the rotisserie.

Using this small putty knife to clean / chip off the old undercoat. Not in a rush but it’s coming off purity quick.

Little by little when I’m in.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I find a little heat helps. I usually have a blow torch in my other hand. It will catch fire once in a while.but.never burst into total flames. Lol. Ant then a paint brush and some solvent. Gas works pretty good. All of it makes quite a mess. A final wipe with gun wash and it's pretty much ready for primer.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Thanks for the advice, I just got a heat gun, but also have a torch in the shop but because it's all in my Historic building I'll only use the torch if I really need it. I also have a butaine torch like plumbers use it may be safer.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Thanks for the suggestions, I used the propane torch I use on plumbing for copper pipes. It worked good for the tuff areas. Most of it's done but still have some left to do as well as the wheel wells. Using the torch does make it smell up the place but some airing out and it was fine.ill be back for a few days next week so I'll get more done. Several areas it just about fell off, was very loose but no major rust under so I'm pretty happy. The floor pans will need some work, I went to see a welder friend about comming by to maybe enlist his help some. We'll see.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Looked at the front and rear glass and it looks to be good no cracks or chips from a rock on front it looks clean but I have to clean it to be sure.

Checking on full rubber seal kit for the 2 door from Baz right now while I can afford it.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Still scraping away. Working on the fender wells.

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Rotated it the other way to get on the other two wheel wells and trans tunnel and other spots I could not get to.

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Thank you Baz and Tracy.

I got most all the undercoat off now.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Some pics of after scraping off the undercoat, there are some more places I have to get to that are confined.

Still more cleaning needed. Will slowly work on that here soon. The rusty look under I believe is not accully all rust.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Well finally got a moment to go clean some with the wire wheel on the angle grinder.

Didn't do much just wanted to get a feel for the tool.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Sorry for no report on progress, been moving everything around in the garage to get some masionary work done. Got to try to get the fella back the beginning of July to finish in the garage area. Then make some room to get back on things. I did get a couple of old arcade machines moved the other side of the downstairs out of the garage, so now I have room to set up a bench and move my L20b motor parts over to it out of the way. I'll report back later.

Was

Now

Was

Now

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Went and got a tool chest finally. Got 15% off rof the ding on the side that does not effect anything and my friend got another 10% off from his vet status. Could not beat that.

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Went and got a tool chest finally. Got 15% off with the ding on the side that does not effect anything and my friend got another 10% off from his vet status. Could not beat that. Now to get all the tools cleaned up and in the box.

Last edited by edekalil on 10 Jul 2023 16:34, edited 1 time in total.