New Member - Searching for a 510 for my father

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Kujo85

New Member - Searching for a 510 for my father

Post by Kujo85 »

Hello,

Just joined the forum a few days ago. Currently helping my Dad sell his 1974 BMW 2002 Baur Cabriolet. In the meantime, he's looking for a 510. My plan is to buy an E46 M3, and the two of us will do some track time at Watkins Glen (We're in Western NY). At any rate - I did a search of the forum and couldn't come up anything so please don't chastise me if this topic has been covered (I own an FJ40 and the Landcruiser forum members are BRUTAL if you don't do your due diligence first) - does anyone know anything about this 510 -

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/37219365

Has been listed for a year plus, so I have to assume the listing has made it's way to this forum at some point? Thanks.

Colin
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: New Member - Searching for a 510 for my father

Post by bertvorgon »

Welcome to the site!

Spent a LOT of time in FJ40's.

Not seen that car for sale here that I am aware of. Looks very nice, that is a walloping amount of HP in a 510, specially with those small rear tires.

Would be nice to see more of the build sheet, what fuel was used to get that HP, some pictures of the under carriage, in the trunk ( mainly to check for rust) although at least on the surface someone did spend some good cash on that build.

Keep us posted. I did an internet search and only this ad in variation showed up.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

I am somewhat familiar with the car, as I spoke with the dealer (owner) about it more than a year ago. It was built by SOS Customs in San Diego to flip, and advertised on Youtube before Full Throttle purchased it. The owner has barely touched it, and is happy to sit on it until the cows come home and let the market come to him. He will be sure to tell you that absolutely everyone who walks in his showroom wants nothing but to talk about the 510. I managed to get a build sheet pdf that is too large to post here. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
Jason
Kujo85

Post by Kujo85 »

JasonLee wrote: 27 Nov 2018 17:34 I am somewhat familiar with the car, as I spoke with the dealer (owner) about it more than a year ago. It was built by SOS Customs in San Diego to flip, and advertised on Youtube before Full Throttle purchased it. The owner has barely touched it, and is happy to sit on it until the cows come home and let the market come to him. He will be sure to tell you that absolutely everyone who walks in his showroom wants nothing but to talk about the 510. I managed to get a build sheet pdf that is too large to post here. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
That’d be huge, thanks Jason! PM Sent
demo243

Post by demo243 »

that "roll" cage... if you can call it that... looks pretty scary. No cross bracing on it anywhere
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

In addition to the build sheet that I have on the car, I also took notes of the phone conversation I had with the owner in August 2017. It was explained to me that the car had been stolen two owners ago, and now has a "Rebuilt Salvage" title. This, plus the price, plus the acknowledgement that it really should get a paint re-spray (most likely paint over paint now) has rendered the car near impossible to sell. Going by memory, the most expensive 510 to sell on BAT in the past 2.5 years (non Bluebird / Coupe) was $39,510. And that was a relatively fresh build and was being sold by the builder with a pallat full of receipts totalling over $65,000 (I spoke with him also).
Jason
Kujo85

Post by Kujo85 »

JasonLee wrote: 28 Nov 2018 07:26 In addition to the build sheet that I have on the car, I also took notes of the phone conversation I had with the owner in August 2017. It was explained to me that the car had been stolen two owners ago, and now has a "Rebuilt Salvage" title. This, plus the price, plus the acknowledgement that it really should get a paint re-spray (most likely paint over paint now) has rendered the car near impossible to sell. Going by memory, the most expensive 510 to sell on BAT in the past 2.5 years (non Bluebird / Coupe) was $39,510. And that was a relatively fresh build and was being sold by the builder with a pallat full of receipts totalling over $65,000 (I spoke with him also).
Thanks Jason that’s helpful. We have someone flying in from NH tomorrow to look at the 2002 - selling that will make it easier going forward in terms of buying a 510 strictly from a garage space stance. Not interested in the one on BAT currently, too rusty, but nice to see one pop up every now and again to gauge the market.
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

$49,000 for a rebuilt title, missing fender mirrors, a cage that looks like it was bent with a torch and unpainted engine bay? Yikes!! Mine must be worth $60,000 now...